All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Wheels disappear?

PEandS1Ws

Hi Guys!

Weird problem. I could not find the answer in the forums. 

When my system is in attract mode after about 10 minutes all my wheels disappear and its only the table name as if I did not have any wheels installed in PinballX Manager. This will also happen occasionally after playing a table and returning to PinballX. Any ideas? It started doing this in version 3.76 so I upgraded. Still happening. Do I need to delete some tables? 

My system:

2 screen Cabinet 

Windows 10 Pro

i5-2400

4GB Ram

6 GB EVGA GTX 1060

PinballX 4.06

747 Tables-FP(32), VP(109), VPX(523), FX2(5), FX3(87)

PinballX.ini log.txt Visual Pinball X.xml

Your RAM seems to be a little light. 4GB for running VPX is fine, same requirements for Pinball FX3. But those requirements are suggested for running just the games, not the games and a frontend.

4GB is OK for Windows 10 x64, but does best with 8GB or higher in my experience.

Can you try to obtain and attach a log.txt file when the error occurs?

Never seen this on my cab, and alsso  running around 800 tables for vpx.

The only thing I see in your xml is that your are not consistent with naming convention.

For description i would prefer 《tablename》 (《Manufacture 》 《year》)

I also see that you donthave manufacturer and year set for some tables (like AC-DC Premium)

Not sure if this causing any issue, but a good naming convention and standardized setup is always good to have.

Btw.. what naming convention do you use for your wheels ?

Might be worth disabling your largest system (vpx) in settings.exe first (before deleting tables), and seeing if issue recurs if you leave it running a while to help prove if a memory issue.

Does task manager hint at any bottlenecks when the issue is present?

1 hour ago, PEandS1Ws said:

Mike_da_Spike by Wheel Directory do you mean the Pinball Wheel Folder in PinballX\Media\Pinball X?

I have multiple systems so each one has a folder that I assume PinballX draws from when I flip through each table. 

Yes. Just want to test it for you. You got it with all the systems the behaviour?

Mike-sorry for the delay on the wheel files. I’ll get them to you soon so you can test. 

Tom-thanks for weighing in. It started when I got close to 800 total tables. I guess I could watch to see if a certain table wheel causes the issue by watching attract mode and noting when it happens. Seems random now. Yesterday it ran for hours before it happened.  I ordered more RAM and will double to 8GB. It should come by the end of the month. 

I don't think it's ram myself but hard issue to track down. 64 bit version of pinballx will be able to utilize more ram even with 4gb but if its a memory leak it's a bug regardless. Not sure if it's one I introduced so that's why I said try an older version so I can track it down.

UPDATE

I made a backup of all my pinball files on an external USB 3.0 drive. I noticed my C: Drive was down to 3.96 GB of free space. I went through and deleted all the FP tables that were not loaded in PinballX, and made it through M in VP9 of the tables I used to have in PinballX but had unchecked them so they were no longer active since I now had a VPX version of the same table. I was now at 14 GB free. I then let PinballX run through attract mode for 20 minutes and then played a variety of tables for about an hour. The wheels never disappeared. I plan on continuing the clean up tonight and will also delete the backglass and playfield videos for those tables to free up additional space. I have let it run this morning for about an hour and the wheels are fine. I will play-test it a lot more this weekend and if nothing happens I will mark the thread as resolved. 

Maybe since my HD space was low it impacted the machines virtual memory or page file?

there's also a wheel cache in the temp folder of windows that pinballx uses (%Temp%\PinballX\WheelCache). Maybe the low disk space and this cache folder has something todo with it 4gb left is indeed really low. Or perhaps windows was cleaning up the temp folder automatically to free up disk space and the wheel cache kept getting erased. I know windows 10 has some options to auto free disk space (storage sense or something)

best to disable that setting to prevent temporary files and thus wheel cache to be erased
image.thumb.png.b5a9620804b823356945c0df9733ace9.png

• Like 1

800 tables! 

When I started on this hobby I remember telling my wife that "I only want a few, really good tables loaded".  Now six months later I am at 90 tables.  Loading new tables is addictive!  However I hope I don't get close to 800.  Just going around the wheel would get tough the more tables that are loaded.  I am intentionally not doubling up on tables.  I stay away from two versions of the same table and just pick the one I like best and get rid of the culls.  Right now I am on the fence with my FX3 tables.  I love the graphics but get bored with the game play.  I currently have about six on the wheel just because it is fun to show the graphics off to newbies.  Same with VP9.  I have one table (Kiss/Scooby Doo) that I really love.  All the others I have deleted as VPX versions are created.  Like I said earlier it is all so very addictive!

Good luck with your trimming down.  

Lane

I want to thank everyone for their replies to my issue. Not sure how to mark the post as "RESOLVED".

It appears my issue was tied to low HD space and most likely due to Win 10 and the auto clean up joyrider mentioned. Just finished my VP9 clean up. I am now at 19.3 GB free. Deleted my media folder of backglass and playfield videos that were tied to the VP9 tables that I deleted. That was tying up a lot of space. 

No more wheel issues! Running like before. Thank you Tom for a great front end!

Time to fill some of that space back up......Haha!

568924962_StarWarsCabinet.thumb.png.0bd8b1cc2279ceb69cd37a933b4527e4.png

• Like 1