All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx 16.10 startup error

oxbow

Hi all; I am setting up 2 (older) PC's to run GameEx so I downloaded and installed GameEx. Both machines gave me same error on startup so what am I missing here?

Both are 64 bit machines: a desktop with fresh windows 10 and the other windows 7 laptop. Log included from the desktop PC.

log.txt

I am assuming both are throwing the exact same error (don't know with certainty with only one log).

Just a guess as I don't know SharpDX, but it looks like there may be a conflict between SharpDX Direct3D and your video drivers.

Are both machines video adapters using the Windows video drivers or the latest drivers from the adapter manufacturer? If the former, try updating with the latter.

Yes both gave me exact same errors, and both have internal standard video output (so no external videocard). If i can run hyperspin on both, which i dont want btw LOL) i should be able to run gameex as well. On my first cab i have running gameex for years now without problem but thats a 32 bit system and not 64 bit.

We need to see if impacting both 64-bit and 32-bit versions vs. one or the other.

On the desktop PC, would you mind installing the latest version of GameEx over the top of the current install, but do not select the 64-bit install. This will install the 32-bit version.

Attach your gameex.ini and log.txt files in response regardless of success or fail. Thanks.

I noticed that you installed Windows 10 on a Core2 Duo machine with only 4GB or RAM.  With no GPU, that RAM is being shared. How old are each of these machines exactly? In the case of the Windows 10 machine, are you certain Windows 10 is supported?

That windows 10 machine is a HP compaq DC7800.. i guess its from around 2008-2009. The guy i bought it from had installed a fresh windows 10 on it. It was only 30 euro (complete with 320Gb HD) so i thought it was perfect for a mame only cab.. HP only has drivers till windows 7 for this machine so maybe i have to install win7 on it to work properly.

The last OS that machine the DC7800 was certified for was Windows Vista. Please keep in mind that there may be strange issues in Windows 10 that may occur. Then again, everything may work just fine. Sometimes it's a crap shoot with uncertified software. Regardless, if it works out to be something you plan to keep, consider upgrading it to 8GB of memory if it can handle it. 4GB is pretty low for Windows 10, sharing with integrated video, and running other programs.

Unfortunately, I don't have a suggestion myself on the "SharpDX.Result.CheckError()" problem. All I can find is that it is some sort of wrapper for DirectX and I don't really know DirectX well enough to really troubleshoot errors like these. Draco appears to know a bit more so maybe he can offer some direction.

Given @RedDog's line of thought and the availability of drivers through Windows 7 for that HP model as you noted, with only 4GB of RAM, Windows 7 x86 would probably be optimal for this rig as is. The downside is that x86 Windows can only see 4GB of RAM.

Upgrading the RAM to 8GB would be best if running Win 7 x64. Unfortunately 8GB is the max supported for the HP Compaq DC7800.

We have had issues in the past with integrated video, in part due to shared memory with the CPU. This was most often resolved adding a video adapter.

This is where I was leaning in my first post. Windows 10 is using default Microsoft video drivers and not what the manufacturer developed for this PC which are no available for Win 10.