All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Can't Filter or Remove Games from List

Phantom

Hi,

I'm trying to clean up my lists and I tried adding [bios* to the exclude list and it doesn't work, I also try to remove the games in Gamex but they don't go away.

I found another thread from a few years ago but there was no fix and the thread was locked.

Is this a known bug now? Did I miss a fix?

Thanks

Which list(s) are you trying to clean up? 

If the integrated MAME, hitting delete on the keyboard as the games appear on the menu will remove them from your list. Physically deleting the ROMs and Update List will also work.

For other emulators, you may have to do the same or work with your map files.

Please attach copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt files. Thanks!

Ya I've done it before but I don't know when this stopped working because I haven't really done any rom sorting in a while.

I don't use Map files. I do have the option for Database names enabled but I don't think thats an issue.

When I press Delete in the list the pop up shows say "press Select to Delete...." I do that... the screen refreshes and the rom is still there.

I'm more interested in getting rid of the Bios files but the exclude feature in the setup wizard doesn't work either.

GameEx.ini log.txt

Sure, these are the Turbo Grafx bios roms, but it happens with all my emulators that have Bios roms. 

[BIOS] CD-ROM System (Japan) (v1.0).zip
[BIOS] CD-ROM System (Japan) (v2.0).zip
[BIOS] CD-ROM System (Japan) (v2.1).zip
[BIOS] Games Express CD Card (Japan) (Alt).zip
[BIOS] Games Express CD Card (Japan).zip
[BIOS] Super CD-ROM System (Japan) (v3.0).zip
[BIOS] TurboGrafx CD Super System Card (USA) (v3.0).zip
[BIOS] TurboGrafx CD System Card (USA) (v2.0).zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Phantom,

Thanks for the list. I looked this over last week but got caught up in RL stuff for a bit. I will try to get back to it ASAP.

What I did find was that your gameex.ini file does reflect the actions you took trying to exclude each of those files from the list. I will need to do some testing myself to see if I can replicate the problem and to see how the gameex.ini is being handled. I am hoping to take some time before the end of the week.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Phantom,

Sorry for the delay. This is not a known bug that I am aware of.

I tested the removal function with my own GameEx 16.10 setup and it did work fine. I also ran some tests with the filenames you provided and they also worked ok.

As I was reviewing your GameEx.ini file I noticed some oddities my text editor was pointing out. I made some minor edits in Emulator 7 and 8 in the file (hopefully) to clean up and resolve the issue. I am wondering if the 'issue' I noticed in the file was causing GameEx to not read the parameter that states what games not to show for that emulator.

Please back up your current GameEx.ini file in the GameEx\CONFIG folder and place the attached file in it's place. Then, try to delete the BIOS files for TurboGraphix 16 from within GameEx and let me know if it works or not. If it works fine, you can continue using this file going forward. If it does not work, you may have to reinstall GameEx over the current build.

One thing that was not clarified before is whether this is the only emulator you are unable to remove games from, if none are allowing it, or if some do and some do not.

GameEx.ini

• Like 1

Hey Reddog,

I tried your ini file and it still doesn't work. This is happening for all my emulators not just TG16.

I can try reinstalling gameex but I'm pretty sure I've done that already.

Its very strange that its working for you.

I appreciate your time

I don't know if it will help, but you could try clearing the cache. It certainly won't hurt anything. To clear the cache, navigate to the GameEx\DATA file and search for all files with the .dbcache extension and delete it. When you next open GameEx, it will regenerate the files.

My hope is that there is something in GameEx that is the issue and not some mixed up configuration in your GameEx.ini.

After that, since you have already reinstalled GameEx over the existing install, I would have to suggest completely uninstalling GameEx and deleting any leftover files and reinstall again. You can make backups of your GameEx.ini, CustomMenu.ini (if you use custom menus), CustomInput.ini (if you use custom controls), the PLUGINS folder (if you use plugins), and any custom theme you have. After the reinstall, I would manually set up one of your emulators at the most basic level and then try to delete the files. If it works, then try replacing your backup files and try again. If it works, then lovely. If not, then that would point at your GameEx.ini being mucked up.