All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[PLUGIN] PinballX Clock

scutters

*** NOTE - PinballX V4.88 and later has the option to display date & time on the playfield screen so this plugin is partly superseded, but it may be of use to you if you want more customisable options than the inbuilt PinballX version (location, font etc) ***

This plugin will display a clock (time or date & time) in PinballX. If you've seen the statistics display plugin then this plugin will look familiar, like that plugin you can choose the location and appearance of the clock, with background as transparent, image or colour etc. You can choose to display the clock in PinballX all the time or only in attract mode, it is always hidden when a game is launched. That's pretty much all there is to it. 

No more excuses for not having the tea ready when your better half returns home from the bingo! :D

Installation

Extract the contents of the zip file into your PinballX\Plugins folder, unblock the dll file if required (https://www.limilabs.com/blog/unblock-dll-file) and then enable the Clock plugin in plugin manager. Make sure you change the display config to match your setup and preferences.

Configuration

Clock.png.316a45cf748e45d83d9e7d4399744649.png

Display Window Details Section

Use the options in this section to change the location and appearance of what is displayed.

X Position, Y Position - Top left co-ordinates for the window to be displayed from

Width, Height - Display window size. If you set a screen size too small to display all lines of the selected data then the text will scroll upwards. This is useful if you want a single line displayed with changing text, in that case size the window according to your selected font and Preview the window to fine tune sizing.

Rotation - Use the up/down arrows to rotate the displayed window (0,90,180 or 270 degrees), useful to display on Playfield screens (note that if doing so this will not be compatible with PinballX running in exclusive fullscreen mode)

Display Font - Font type, colour and size used

Centre Text - Centre align text in the display window horizontally. Approximates centre vertical  alignment.

Colour, Transparent, Image - Set background Colour, to Transparent or use Image (note that images are stretched/squeezed to fill your selected display window size)

Opacity - Overall opacity of the displayed window

Preview - click to preview the display location and selected font and colour options

Date Time Format

Pick the format of time (or date & time) you want to display. Note that exact formats will depend on your region, and can be adjusted in Windows.

Alternate Display - If you select to display a date and time format you can check this box to alternate between the two.

Attract Mode

Check this box to display the clock only in PinballX attract mode.

Issues

If you have any issues then please attach the PinballX.in & Log.txt files as well as the plugins PBXClock.ini & PBXClock_log.txt files along with a description of the problem.

Thanks

Thanks to Mike_da_Spike for testing and suggestions, Tom Speirs for PinballX and Adultery for the plugin template.

Changes

28/11/19    V1.0.0    Initial release

28/01/20    V1.1.0    Fix format issue

21/10/20    V1.2.0    Centre text option now also aligns text vertically as well as horizontally.

11/05/23    V1.2.1    Fixed clock disappearing behind PinballX playfield on game exit and makes sure a 'rotated' clock updates correctly.

** if updating from a previous there is no need to replace the PBXClock.ini file (you'll lose your settings if you do), copy the PBXClock.dll file from the zip only **

PBXClock V1_2_1.zip

Edited by scutters
V1.2.1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@scutters

lovely always needed this option, and i 2 have mine on the bottom the DMD.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Updated to V1.2, note / attachment in first post updated (replace the dll file only if updating from a previous version, don't replace your ini file or you'll lose your current settings)

Centre Text option now also centres text vertically in display area. Note that this is an approximation based on number of lines of text using the chosen font could be displayed in the configured area and chooses the middle line where possible (so will work best in large areas e.g. fullscreen on vitural DMD etc)

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, barto107 said:

Hello Scutters,

is it possible to get a new file because when i download the size is 0 octets ? (PBXClock V1_2)

Thxs

Thanks, maybe i corrupted the attachment somehow when i refreshed the notes for PinballX v4.88.

V1.2 Attachment reuploaded to first post

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, barto107 said:

I know that this plugin is no longer necessary since PBX 4.88 but i like this one because we can customize the location and display of the clock, great plugin thank you very much.

Yeah - i'm still using it too. I have a 2nd dmd apron screen now and this works great on that - clock in PinballX, DMD in game :)

31 minutes ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

I think you build this plugin on my request, but I now have a goDMD clock that is also awesome. 

Sorry for not using thing plugin anymore

Lol, no worries Mike you got a nice upgrade.. but even if only one other person uses it was still worth doing! :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just tried this and really like how I can customize the clock and move it.  I seem to have an issue that after I quit a table I see the clock come up for about 2 seconds and as soon as the table image loads again, the clock is gone.  Any ideas?

17 hours ago, chadman said:

I just tried this and really like how I can customize the clock and move it.  I seem to have an issue that after I quit a table I see the clock come up for about 2 seconds and as soon as the table image loads again, the clock is gone.  Any ideas?

Not seen that before..  can you attach your pinballx\config\pinballx.ini & pinballx\log\log.txt files along with the pinballx\plugins\PBXClock.ini and pinballx\plugins\PBXClock_log.txt files (all after running pinballx, exiting a game and seeing the issue).

By the sounds of it you have the clock located on the playfield screen and PinballX 'covers' it after returning from a game, can you confirm that as well (press ALT+TAB and see if the clock is still running  just behind another screen). 

Edit - Can you give this version a go as well (just extract and replace the file in the pinballx\plugins folder). Think i may have found something but i'm guessing a bit, and it would only be a factor if you're running the plugin with a 'rotated' option.

Edited by scutters
attachment removed

Thanks for the fast response.  You are correct in that it the clock is still there and running, it just get's hidden once the playfield video starts.  As a side note I also use that statistics app you created and that does work fine after I quit a game (by the way, great job on that!  I just discovered these plugin's the other day).  I have the attached files you asked for.

PBXClock_log.txt PBXClock.ini PinballX.ini log.txt

Interesting, i can't see anything obvious in the logs or settings - and i'm unable to reproduce the behaviour. Even stranger that the stats plugin works ok for you! (it's very similar code for the display logic).

Anyway, here's another version to try with another attempted guess fix;

If that doesn't work then can you let me know what C:\Pinball\Scripts\VisualPinball\VPXKill.bat does (just if it does anything that might affect focus in windows)?. I guess it's just killing / cleaning up processes like b2s / pinup on game exit, but worth confirming.

Please also try with the stats plugin deactivated in plugin manager just in case that's a factor somehow too, and also confirm if the behaviour affects all systems on table exit (FX2, FX3 etc)

Thanks

Edited by scutters
attachment removed

Same issue with that new version.  I tried clock without stats and it still gets stuck behind the table video.  I can use stats fine with or without clock.  Also I notice that after I click the close button on a table, I see your clock come back before PinballX comes back on with my table video.  The stats app does not show up until after PinballX is loaded again or at the same time.  Not sure what causes the clock app to come on first after a table it closed.  This happens regardless of table type.  See it with FX/2/3 too.

Ok.. thanks for the extra info. The stats plugin showing later than the clock on game exit but then staying on when the clock doesn't may be the clue i'm looking for.

Last test version for the day so hope this works, i've re-jigged some of the event code ordering on game exit..

(still not sure why i can't reproduce the issue but i guess it's just different hardware causing different processes to take different times)

Edited by scutters
attachment removed (added to first post)

2 hours ago, chadman said:

Perfect!  loaded a few tables and it seems to work great now.  Also I don't see this coming on before PinballX returns like I did before.  Thanks for the fix!

I've updated the attachment in the first post with the latest version & fixes (same version you already have so no need to update again).

Thanks for your help!

• Like 2