All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

My GameEx hand made wooden cabinet

funkydmunky

Made and designed this myself. Thanks to GameEx Arcade and Marque Masher. It was a priority to have a great vertical play space and thanks to GameEx this was possible. Having a nice 32" vertical (equals about 20" diagonal for landscape game) with an active marque is a dream come true for all classics.

Did a retro pixel theme with the wood. Hopefully it looks retro and like nice furniture at the time. I did the bezel bellow the standard bezel because I wanted the user/player to enjoy the visual while they were playing. Original bezels were made for locating from a ways off in traditional cabinets, and the brilliant art was often missed or ignored. Not now ;)

Standard ArcadeX controller. I'm going to do a design/project build on YouTube at some point.

Anyway here is a vid I made for friends to see. Sorry for the quality. I shot it low light so the RGB would shine with my Go-Pro. So bad low light quality, and sweet fish-eye just the the astronauts use.

• Like 1

I would love to fully exploit all marques as I am missing many. I have tried to source as many as possible. Any hints where to gather more(sorry if stupid question)? I have done search engine requests for my fav arcades that I have no marque, downloaded the art and PhotoZoomed (up-res'ed) the pic as a replacement. Not ideal but still quite nice.

A nice contribution! I like the "pixeled" edging. Have you any additional build specs to share? 

As for marquees, for some systems you can use a large logo image saved atop of either a black or color background cropped to your monitor's display size.  Easy to do if you have a good graphic program that supports image layers.

Nice work!

If you don't already have one,  then I would recommend you get a Emu Movies account and plug in your login info in the GameEx Arcade Edition setup wizard.  You'll get a big upgrade over those scrolling "game logos" for background images.

23 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

A nice contribution! I like the "pixeled" edging. Have you any additional build specs to share? 

As for marquees, for some systems you can use a large logo image saved atop of either a black or color background cropped to your monitor's display size.  Easy to do if you have a good graphic program that supports image layers.

I am going to do a YT video in the future and try to give some build info. I really just built it as I went, but kept my original plans with measurements that I will scan. I kept a series of pics as I did the build. 

I will let you know when I have it organized.

7 hours ago, tthurman said:

Nice work!

If you don't already have one,  then I would recommend you get a Emu Movies account and plug in your login info in the GameEx Arcade Edition setup wizard.  You'll get a big upgrade over those scrolling "game logos" for background images.

Might do. Will I gain any bezels though, or just fancier backgrounds?

It's just fancier backgrounds and overall ease of use across the GameEx family.  Everybody will view it differently, but to me it represents good value vs. doing it all manually.

<edit> No on the marquees, I don't know of anyone that specializes in those specifically, but they are out there if you have the patience for hunting them down.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 12:29 AM, funkydmunky said:

Does this work well with GameEx Arcade in vertical mode? Looks nice for 4:3/16:9, but I worry it will be poor or my 9:16.

Anybody have a fav marquee repository they want to share? :)

Download a few files from Emumovies and see for yourself. Your orientation may result in "bars" below and above if centered for a 9:16 setup.

Can't say I have a special place for marquees. Emumovies is where I started. I was not crazy about all submissions and sought better quality replacements via web searches for those systems and/or loaded them into a graphics program and cleaned them up if possible.

That's a good point, even a free account will pull down a few of the backgrounds per day until the daily cap is hit. 

The snaps content is constantly improving over time and IIRC Tom indicated the GameEx down-loader client will pull down the highest quality available