All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Middle-aged White Married Male Seeking...

Draco1962

...advice and suggestions for cord cutting venture. I thought my topic title might solicit some curiosity so forgive me if any of you are disappointed as I am not available! :P

We currently have the Xfinity Triple Play (internet, cable and phone) and just came out of contract. We do not need the phone and are looking to replace the cable offerings as cheaply as possible.

Following is a list of things we have or will have in the near future to work with:

- HD (2) and UHD (1) TVS

- Firesticks (1 4K and 2 regular)

- Netflix subscription

- Xfinity 300mps service

- xfi Advance modem/router (replacing their older Cisco slab with fewer antennas) and may be adding pods to reach deadzones if new modem still lacking.

- In near future, son will be helping to run CAT6 to Living room, master bedroom, wife's office.

- Found OTA antenna in attic that I need to check to see if it can connect to coax and receive OTA signals and leverage existing coax prewire for local channels for news or internet outage.

We will not be building a home media server as there really isn't a need for us with so many smart appliances, apps, and services. So just looking for honest suggestions of free or inexpensive online services based upon your experiences. 

I cut triple play down to doubleplay a few years ago. I decided to do try Playstation vue and now Hulu with live TV. PSvue got too expensive and now Hulu is doing the same. The ad experiance is horrible. They trick you, carefully placing ads you cant skip in places that force you to watch. I'm tired of it. Crapcasts DVR let me skip through ads after I recorded something (at least they used to). Hulu doesn't. And they make it sound like you can upgrade to adless and it'll be better. But it doesnt remove ads on any of the content added as part of the live tv subscription. Not just live channels, but the on demand content that comes with it (whole seasons of tv shows curiously missing seasons and episodes is another issue). Without live TV Hulu is fairly limited in content.

Netflix is a far better streaming experiance. PSvue was a better live tv experiance than Hulu (though they might have changed). I'm thinking of trying YouTube with live tv. My options are fairly limited by my local basketball teams network tv contracts. Otherwise I might give slingTV a try.

What I'm going to do soon, as I'm coming up on the end of the 2 year double play contract, is drop crimecast for CenturyLink. The home phone I keep as a dummy line for applications that require a phone number. It get all the scammers, never my cell. Anyway, I was thinking of Ooma VOIP, as you can keep your existing phone number. I can buy my own router/modem to avoid the rental fee. And CenturyLink is fast enough for streaming to 3 TVs in HD (25mbps). It's not a fat pipe connection with the mondeo upgrade package. One suitable for uploading 10 exabytes of hacked IOI intranet data to the OASIS servers, but it suits my needs.

I pay $100/mo. At the moment just for phone/internet. I figure I can get that to $50. Then whatever streaming services add to that is about as affordable as I can make it. Honestly, I just want my basketball. I could get NBA league pass and use a VPN to circumvent the blackout, but that's cheating the captive marketing scheme the billionairs (and their lobbyist bought policies) want me willingly obey...like a good little American citizen.

I built a home media server because in my future I plan to have my own place and probably won't be able to afford internet.  Being offline severely limits your options when cord cutting.  So my server currently holds a capacity of 84.2TB, of which 12.6TB is free.  I keep TV Shows, Movies, Music, and Photos on it.  Because it's a server, I also use it to store backups of my computer, and it's also a storage solution to hold things like eBooks and roms, etc.  I access the media on it from a Raspberry Pi that I installed LibreElec on (an OS designed to just hold Kodi).  With Kodi, I have access to all the server content.  Also on the server I have a series of TV tuners that I have connected to an OTA antenna which picks up all the major broadcast networks (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, PBS, CW/WB) as well as a few locally broadcast channels that aren't major networks.  I have a total of 5 tuners, giving me the ability to record 5 things at once, or watch 1 and record 4 at the same time.  My only problem with this setup is that some of the channels don't come in very well, and signal dropping is a constant problem.  Easily remedied with a better antenna or maybe a relocation of it.  As for the Kodi side of things, the latest Leia+ version finally brought with it the security requirements to allow premium 3rd party services.  I have an Amazon Prime and Netflix subscription, so now I can access those from Kodi.  The Pi is still a little under powered to provide a high resolution stream, but 720p works perfectly.  1080p will work with some stuttering, and 4k is not possible (although I think the Pi4 that just came out does support 4k now).  If you're not streaming, watching media from the server has no problem playing back 1080p, and Kodi has passthrough so I can actually get the full HD Dolby or DTS sound to my receiver for movies.  Kodi is just a glorified media player.  But it can do a lot more too.  Through "unofficial" 3rd party apps, you can gain access to IPTV services to stream internet tv channels.  A lot of cable networks and worldwide channels are available freely.  There are also addons which allow you to access internet storage hubs and stream pretty much any movie or tv show you want, by providing a service which is essentially a search engine to find sources online for what you want to watch.  My dad doesn't like the stuff I have on my server, so he uses these 3rd party apps on his Kodi in the living room to watch shows and movies.  He almost never watches TV on the cable box anymore.  If there's a show he wants to watch, he just uses the app to search for it and watches it streamed.  He also uses the Amazon and Netflix apps.

A Pi costs roughly $35.  With a power supply, SD card, case, remote, and HDMI cable, you can get a fully working system for about $50. 

Firesticks, Roku, etc are other ways to get access to online streaming content.  You can also use other devices like BluRay players, game consoles, and even your computer if you hook it up to the tv.  These all have varying costs.  What you need to decide is what content you plan access.  I don't own any Amazon devices so I don't know what their cost is and what they access.  They might be able to only access Amazon Prime.  Netflix is everywhere, but not all devices access Amazon too.  Then you have other services you can subscribe to too, like Hulu, HBOGO, or any of the new services like CBS All Access and the new Disney+.  These all cost subscriptions on top of the hardware to access them.  For me, it just makes more sense to have everything I want to watch stored locally.  Streaming is great if you have the bandwidth and the subscription.  Or the 3rd party apps that search is a great option, only not EVERYTHING is available, and you have to rely on a good quality host.  But there certainly are options out there.

So in closing, it's really up to you.  But in my own situation, and through future planning, my setup is this.  A home server housing all the media I want to watch, listen to, or view.  If there's something I don't have, I'll download it.  I watch everything through Kodi, installed on a Raspberry Pi.  If it's something I just want to watch, I'll look for it on Amazon or Netflix.  If I don't know what I want to watch, I'll use a 3rd party addon to access 24/7 IPTV stations like all-day Action Movies, Sci-Fi Movies, Disney Movies, M*A*S*H, Spongebob, etc.  If I want to watch something else, there's the 3rd party addon to search for it online and stream it for me.  The system works, and doesn't cost anything more than the hardware and subscriptions to Amazon and Netflix.  When I move out and have no internet, I still have my server with all my downloaded content to keep me entertained until I get internet.

I disconnected the cable channels and phone today. I upgraded to the 600 mbps xtreme package and swapped to their Xfi  Advantage modem. Total per month with auto-payments enabled will be about $105 per month. We have Prime and Netflix so good there. I picked up a pair of Mohu Leaf 30s for the OTA news and local content.

With physical media (DVD, BD, 4K  and VHS) titles well over 400 to 500 I think entertainment is covered. If anything, we'll be going through that collection and downsizing to a few collections and series or movies that are must keeps for nostalgia.

I will have to start going through some of the apps to see what looks good. Have either of you tried PlutoTV?

I've used plutoTV. It's kida like Sony crackle in that they have programming to watch and are interrupted with ads like live TV. Honestly, it's a better than I get OTA in my smallish city. The bigger cities have more TV stations and attenas blasting out microwaves, so my Dad who lives in a big city gets way more channels (not that there's much to watch). Even with just free services, there is much more than I had as a kid before cable. We had like 4 channels that came in clear enough to watch. Alluminum foil helped to get another one or 2, or to clear up the signal from an important channel. So we are really better off than 30 years ago. Add a couple of paid steaming services and the only thing I find myself lacking is my local sports teams. They have the big cable TV contracts and play the blackout game. So it's either pay serious cash monthly, go to a sports bar, or find something else to do...Or circumvent the blackouts.

This is our first 24 hours and, even if we just had the TV on for background noise, it is taking getting used to. Certain local programs are on at the same time and that set the clock for activities. 

The local live apps are lacking, but again will have to get used to occasional pixelated live TV reception. 

As you noted, still better than 30 years ago!

• 5 months later...

ALMOST 6 MONTH UPDATE -

Following are my current hardware and service options:

HARDWARE

- SAMSUNG TVs: 1 4K 55" (Living room), 1 1080P 45" (Master Bedroom) 1 4K 40" (Wife's office/workout room) 1 1080P 40" (My office/gaming room)

- Amazon Fire TV Sticks: 2 4K and 1 regular

- Mohu Leaf:  x3 

- AV2000 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kits: x2

- 8-Port Gigabit GREENnet Switch TEG-S82g: x3

SERVICES

- Xfinity 600 MPS

- Netflix

- Amazon Prime + CBS All Access

- Disney+

- Movies Anywhere

-  Vudu

- Pluto TV

It has been a journey. One that is still evolving as we explore deeper into the apps and channels. I have to say that I wish we had done so sooner. So my original plans to wire Ethernet to my living room, master bedroom and wife's office have been deferred. In the interim, we purchased the passthrough powerline kits as a reasonable alternative. The speeds are slightly better than WiFi, but not up their with Gigabit Ethernet. Streaming is reasonable, however, although 4K can see more buffering than 1080P.

Cost for all is still below $150 for now. Disney+ is free for the first year since our cells are through Verizon. Amazon Prime we already pay for shipping, etc, and staying to the freebies keeps the cost down. Movies Anywhere and Vudu house our digital purchases which is great since we can go mobile with some of our DVD collection. The gem is Pluto TV, SO MANY CHANNELS! Stuff I haven't seen in years.

OTA channels via the Mohu Leafs is as expected. There are some outs and pixelation on some channels when the weather is adverse. I am still curious about the signals over the attic antenna so will probably explore that as an option and, if tests OK, I will look into some solution to split the signal across the coax going to the living room, master bedroom, wife's office, and my own office. Likely that will require some sort of signal amplifier.

So that's it for now. Suggestions, especially for adapting an older (late 1980s) OTA attic antenna for multiple TC use over coax or anything I have posted are most welcome!

Unless you are considerably far from the broadcast antennas, and/or in hilly terrain, a signal booster spliter setup is likely to cause more problems than it is worth.  IIRC, every split ads .5 db of loss, as does every interruption, couplers, wall outlets, etc., plus you want the signal booster at the point of reception, meaning needing power in your attic.  If you're close to the broadcast antennas, then the booster just adds tons of noise and makes everything worse.

Still, I pickup signals 30+ miles away crystal clear, while sitting a in valley surrounded by ridges with no boosting.  I get amazing clarity with  no drop outs on all but the worst weather days.

You best bet is antennas for each TV, with quad shield RG6 home-runs to the wall outlet nearest each TV.

I've got a combination of antennas from Antennas Direct, but would have tried one of Denny's had I found it earlier.  Just be sure to get a good VHF model if some of your desired channels are broadcasted over that.   It's a bear to receive where UHF is gravy.

I'm using this one with great success, but not with a mast kit as described in the link.

and for just UHF, these bow-tie models are great!

If you're attempting to grab signal in the attic through radiant barrier or block/brick, forget it!  Even the foil on HVAC flex duct wrecks it.

I'm using a Yagi-uda style outdoor antenna hooked into a previous installation of direct TV that split off to each room of the house without any signal amplifier and it works fine. I removed the dish and mounted it to the pole, using the existing cables/splutter. This antenna is very directional, which is needed in my case given the distance to the tower and an obstructed view (neighbors 2 story home, hills, and 50+ miles). While it's ugly, it gets the channels I wanted. I didn't need amplification, which I've notice does reduce signal quality (only use if there is a long run to your room and it doesn't work without it). I did use a leaf style antenna before but it could only receive a few channels from the closest tower (small city), which doesn't broadcast the stations I wanted. And the leaf antenna would only work on one side of the house, multiple walls killed the signal. So I needed an antenna that could grab the signal from the closest big city and putting it on the roof gave it the best chance of working.

My 2c.

Fortunately we are wood construction with no radiant barrier on the roof above the antenna.

There is a 4-way splitter in the attic for the coax to the four rooms. I have yet to see if there is a coax connector on the antenna itself. If there is, I could probably test if it works by connecting the coax coming into the house directly to my office and run coax to the signal in and the coax from the wall outlets to the sets on the other three rooms.

Since most of the transmitters are less than 30 miles this may be a workable solution.

If not as all of our OTA channels are now UHF, the bowtie solution may be the thing to try.

3 hours ago, RIP-Felix said:

I'm using a Yagi-uda style outdoor antenna hooked into a previous installation of direct TV that split off to each room of the house without any signal amplifier and it works fine.

Yagi's are great antenna's, and especially so if you're on a mast.  Going thru wood decking and asphalt cuts the signal strength roughly in half though, which may explain why I've been unsuccessful with multiple TV's off the same antenna.

For my shortest coax run, ~30 feet,  I'm using a ClearStream 2V, which is the old version of what I linked above.   The VHF element on this is the long horizontal bar at the top, and our NBC is on VHF.  I've got this fed from the antenna down the wall with compression fittings on RG11 quad shield, but the signal.  This works great, but if I switch it to the other TV, which is a bit more than twice the distance of RG11 feeder coax in the attic, then no go on VHF and inconsistent UHF performance except on clear days.

For that TV Is used a ClearStream 5 , which is freaking huge and dedicated to VHF, along with a combiner to join it to a single DB2, and everything comes in perfectly.  This single little bow-tie style pulls in everything, including channels 50 or 60 miles away on the back side of the antenna.  I can't imagine what type of signal the double or quad gang of these little guys would pull down, but I'd imagine signal strength would be a non-issue, well on UHF anyway.

All of this stuff is very prone to attic gremlins, stuff that makes no sense whatsoever has dramatic impacts.  For instance, I combined the above two setup antennas with 3' RG11 coax and got nothing, but replaced just these two cables that tie the antennas to the combiner with RG6 cables and all is working great.  Attic mounting is tricky and very different in each house I've been in.  What works in one, doesn't mean anything for just across the street.

I will likely focus my test with the existing attic antenna on the Living Room connection. If that works well, then I will test on the other TVs. 

If connecting the others causes a degradation, I will use it for the Living Room exclusively as the others are not used as frequently.

If the attic antenna is a wash all around, will look at the suggestions provided to see what may work best from within the attic. Most likely mounting internally on the south/south-west side of the house should pickup those towers within a 60 mile radius.

Screenshot_20200331-091255_TVTowers.jpg