All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

PinballX Focus Issues

cherga

Hi all,

I'm running PinballX 3.92 and am having focus issues and almost always have to alt-tab to make PinballX the active screen after startup. I'm running three apps at startup... Doflinx (admin), PinballX (not admin) and cectray (admin) which is my hdmi adapter to turn my playfield monitor on at startup. When my machine starts everything load properly and PinballX is displaying on all three monitors (all on same GPU). None of my buttons work until I alt-tab to highlight PinballX. It's usually three or four windows in. Any suggestions to correct this issue? Thanks!

Edited by cherga
Posted in wrong sections

Are the dimensions and start positions correct of your screen (how it is setup in Windows)?

According to your ini file :

[Display]
windowwidth=480
windowheight=270
windowx=850
windowy=331
[BackGlass]
width=1920
height=1080

x=0

y=0
[DMD]
x=10
y=335
width=1910
height=475

Looks like your all your 3 devices are put almost on the same screen. And check the dimension of your playfield. Or is the resolution 480x270?

I just changed everything to match Windows and everything broke... When starting a game the Loading screen shows up in the middle of the screen and just before the game kicks in, it gets smaller and shifts to the right. The DMD is no longer displayed and VPX games won't start.

Ok. One step back. Where do you use the cectray for ? Also navigation within pbx ?

You mention you use it to turn on the playfield. Is the playfield not turned on when you power on your cabinet ?

What controler do you have for your buttons ?

How are your monitors defined in windows ?

Sorry for all those questions, but never seen this issue before. I still think it is a configuration issue in pinballx,  but we need to figure out what's causing the issue

17 hours ago, cherga said:

Doflinx (admin), PinballX (not admin) and cectray (admin)

Just throwing in my two cents... have you tried pinballx as admin?, also, does the focus issue exist every time you run pinballx (or just on start up)?

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 1:32 PM, Mike_da_Spike said:

Ok. One step back. Where do you use the cectray for ? Also navigation within pbx ?

You mention you use it to turn on the playfield. Is the playfield not turned on when you power on your cabinet ?

What controler do you have for your buttons ?

How are your monitors defined in windows ?

Sorry for all those questions, but never seen this issue before. I still think it is a configuration issue in pinballx,  but we need to figure out what's causing the issue

CECTray is for my Pulse-Eight HDMI adapter. My Playfield doesn't come on and off by itself so I use this device that send "power-on" commands to the TV upon Windows startup. This app runs once in the background at startup. 

For my buttons, I'm using an iPac-2.

Monitors are left to right ...PF (ID2), BG (ID1), LCD DMD (ID3).

I've determined that DofLinx is taking focus as PBX and Doflinx both were running at startup. I tried adding a delay to PBX however that didn't work so I added a delay to DofLinx and that seems to be working so far. This issue only occurs at Startup so I assumed it was likely DofLinx grabbing focus... It doesn't make any sense to me as Doflinx is also a background app but everything appears to be working through several startups over the past 24 hours.

50 minutes ago, cherga said:

I've determined that DofLinx is taking focus as PBX and Doflinx both were running at startup. I tried adding a delay to PBX however that didn't work so I added a delay to DofLinx and that seems to be working so far. This issue only occurs at Startup so I assumed it was likely DofLinx grabbing focus... It doesn't make any sense to me as Doflinx is also a background app but everything appears to be working through several startups over the past 24 hours.

Nice catch. First time I hears that. How do you launch doflinx ?

I have a wchedule tasl running doflinx at startup. And pbx is starting, but will start a bit later to identify all the monitors

1 hour ago, cherga said:

I should have kept my mouth shut... Just had another instance of DofLinx taking focus at startup even with the delay.

I had to do this with dmdext and dial in a good pause.  Might take a couple of tries to get it not too quick or not too delayed.

I'd try changing full screen windowed in pinballx settings to No, if that doesn't work try disabling cec-tray to rule it out (as that's a lesser used bit of software it may have unexpected side effects[?]).

Please also advise if the problem is only present on start up or not. I guess it is, so if you close pinballx and reopen everything works ok?