All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Raiden II

4th Quarter 2019 GOTQ Winner - smario - 487,260 (link)

Raiden II
Raiden II Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 smario 487,260
2 Cynicaster 400,160
3 patrickfx 266,380
4 rtkiii 139,570
5 millerbrad 95,500
6 Floyd Turbo 94,680
Last Updated by hansolo77: 07-13-2020

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for Raiden II:

ROMSet: raiden2
Difficulty: Normal
Lives: 3
Bonus Life: 200000-500000

Special Rules: This is Single Player ONLY variation! Continues are NOT allowed!

The green coloured default values match the Twin Galaxies settings.
The red coloured values need to be changed!

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide: :link:
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide: :link:
# general rules for submitting you hi-score: :link:

This game expands on the first Raiden's mechanics, introducing two weapons: the Bend Plasma, a lock-on weapon that deals constant low damage to enemies, and the Cluster Bomb, a fast-deploying bomb that does less damage than regular bombs but strikes a larger area.

Raiden II has three primary weapons and two missile weapons, upgraded by collecting power-ups.

Primary weapons and missiles are fired simultaneously. Bombs are special weapons that deal damage over a wide area and cancel out enemy fire. Players can carry a maximum of seven of any combination of the two types of bombs in the game.

The player fights enemies through eight stages of increasing difficulty. In a two-player game, when one player shoots the other's craft with the red or blue primary weapon, the other player's craft generates special projectiles that deal a lot of damage to enemies.

The game's story continues where the first game left off. Three years after the VCD repelled the invasion of the Crystals, the remnants of the machines controlled by the Crystals regroup to form another army to resume taking over the Earth. To combat this Crystal resurgence, a new weapon is developed for the Fighting Thunder—designed from Crystal technology—to stop the Crystals again.

Have fun everybody !!

~ GC

12 hours ago, Cynicaster said:

This game doesn’t work in the version of MAME I have running on my cabinet.  Can somebody recommend a confirmed working version?

Cyn, let me know if you get any replies.  I'm in the same boat.  I may have to play this one on my portable system that has brutal joysticks.   

On 10/14/2019 at 10:07 PM, Cynicaster said:

This game doesn’t work in the version of MAME I have running on my cabinet.  Can somebody recommend a confirmed working version?

I used the 0.186 version and work well.  Just a warning message like many time that said 'May be not 100% fully working'.

Note : I got some scatterred screen but then use the mame64.exe version 0,214 with roms 0.186 and work perfect.  I'm investigation the issue but really thing is more a software configuration issue.  Hey, that's life with MAME, right ?  Play 50% , fix 50%.  (Be honest here :) )

Wow, Raiden II... I haven't been playing much lately, but Raiden II is a very good reason to fire up the cabinet again! In fact, when I built my cabinet, I did so having just a few games in mind with Raiden II being one of them (was pretty disappointed when I found out Mame couldn't run it but settled for Raiden Project on PS1 which I think is a nearly flawless port). Raiden II for me is one of the best games ever made so I'm looking forward to this quarter's comp.

@Cynicaster @Floyd Turbo I think Mame 0.155 was the first version to be able to run Raiden II (and Raiden DX). I remember it being a major breakthough for the devs. I can confirm Mame 0.187.

score 487,260

17.10.2019203604.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks for being our 3rd competitor! 

Spoiler

I owe the community an apology here.  Floyd's score was posted on Thursday, it's now Sunday.  My C.Diff infection was doing better last week, then on Tuesday this week it came back with a vengeance.  I went to the ER to follow up because they said if it's gets worse to do that.  Since I was doing better, this was worse, so I went.  They went batshit crazy on me.  Double-arm IV's, about 12 bags of fluids, no less than 8 shots, and my own room.... for 5 days.  I wasn't released until Saturday evening.  So I wasn't here to update the threads.  And I didn't have a way to alert anybody either.  So for that, I'm sorry.  Hopefully things will get better.  I'm still alive, so I think I'm out of the danger zone (1 in 5 die from this infection).  A pharmacist friend of mine said this can last up to 6-8 months.  Whoopee.. :(

Updated OP, DB, RSS

I'm not too great at these games but do enjoy playing them.  I'll get an entry in sometime  :)  Still working on a new math app for my daughter and it has just taken all my free time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not as bad as me.  I've not played it yet and submitted a score.  Heck, I've not even update the competition with a new game yet either (not that it matters with only 4 players...).  Thanks for the submission!

-Updated OP, DB, RSS

On 10/19/2019 at 5:20 PM, smario said:

Wow, Raiden II... I haven't been playing much lately, but Raiden II is a very good reason to fire up the cabinet again! In fact, when I built my cabinet, I did so having just a few games in mind with Raiden II being one of them (was pretty disappointed when I found out Mame couldn't run it but settled for Raiden Project on PS1 which I think is a nearly flawless port). Raiden II for me is one of the best games ever made so I'm looking forward to this quarter's comp.

@Cynicaster @Floyd Turbo I think Mame 0.155 was the first version to be able to run Raiden II (and Raiden DX). I remember it being a major breakthough for the devs. I can confirm Mame 0.187.

score 487,26

Congrats @smario on winning GOTQ 4 - 2019 !! With an amazing 400k+ score you really deserve this win !!

I hope you have fun with our new GOTQ - Pinball Action :) Have fun!!

• 3 months later...

My arcade cab has spent the last 6+ months stored in a corner of my basement, while the rest of my basement got finished. Unfortunately, COVID-19 put that project on hold for quite awhile, and the lower level of my house has been in a state of disarray that whole time. I was finally able to roll it out and play a little tonight.

And this game is hard.  95,500.

20200506211228.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Really appreciate how some people are so good at this.  Played for about an hour and did finally get past the 1st boss...but man I was stressing  :)

20200601_180452.jpg

• 1 month later...