All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Documentation/manual available?

Mike_da_Spike

Hi,

I'm a totally newbee for Gameex evo. 

I've bought an arcade cabinet years ago. This was pre-installed with a front end thats loaded in DOS.

I started this week to change the harddisk and installed w10 on it. 

I found that the pc only had 1gb of ram and a dualcore e6500. I suspect memory is on the low side, so need to find if i can find 4gb modules.

Anyway... checking and reading this forum for weeks now, but could not find a real manual or install documentation for Evo.

I installed it today on my cab, but there are so much settings, that I was totaly lost.

Is there a quick reference guide?

Sorry for this noob question

I seem to recall Tom posting that EVO was developed on a E8500 machine, so given that, you're systems specs are a bit on the low side.  Beefing up the memory should help somewhat, especially so if you're running single channel memory.

To my knowledge, there is no documentation for this product.

There are a lot of settings in EVO but much of what you see is due to Software Lists support of MAME, something that in itself creates a good deal of confusion due to the limited documentation out there for how to use it. 

If you're mostly into arcade classics and not so much console support via software lists, then I would venture to guess you'll have a much more enjoyable experience with GameEx Arcade Edition on that particular machine.

8 hours ago, tthurman said:

If you're mostly into arcade classics and not so much console support via software lists, then I would venture to guess you'll have a much more enjoyable experience with GameEx Arcade Edition on that particular machine.

Thanks ! Tom adviced me to use GameEx Evo.  I want the Mame, but also the nintendo, sega and atari.

I will first try to get some extra memory, before going further.

If I setup Evo on a test computer and configure the emulators, can I easily copy over the complete directory to the cabinet ? 

3 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

PS: I expect you will be out of luck with any product here on 1gb ram. GameEx lite may be your best bet but yeah upgrading the ram would be a good idea.

Thanks Tom. It didn't launch and gave an error in eventlog. Tested on laptop and worked. I will try upgrading the ram or will buy a new pc for it.

Still fighting how to get all mame roms get copied over from "old" system to EVO. 

But I will get there someday. Thanks all for the help !

And sorry to be a noob in this

Tested with some laptops/tablets I had, but looks like front end needs a "powerfull" machine
Had a Core I5-4300u with an intel HD4400 GPU and 4gb memory. Front end was sluggish.
used a CoreI5 -8350u with UHD620 and 8gb memory and front end is working fine.
So need to have a system setup with that specs.

Just one question. for configuration ( i think I miss something)
I have 3 emulators added. Mame/SNES/Atari 2600. Added some roms too in the subfolders :"UserData\Emulation\ROMs"
For SNES and Atari I can add the roms to the system, but for mame, I don't see anything. At a sudden moment, I saw in total around 3300 roms (but just added 20) . And all showed me rom not found.

So how do I get mame roms added to the list ?

[SETUPWIZARD].log[GAMEEX_EVOLUTION].log[GAMEEX].ini

And how do I quit from a game ? I left the defaults, but ESC doesn't quit the emulator. but will shows the features in SNES and Atari emulator.

You really want a full set for MAME. Then if  there not showing up click audit games.

You set the exit game key under controls and it should be as simple as that. I tested it recently because it was not working for me and it turns out it doesn't work over remote desktop solutions. is that the problem? Did you set the exit control?

Just away of the pc now. 

Thought the exit button was mapped to esc. Using it in emulators didn't close it (was not on rdp. But directly behind)

And did  click the audit games button, but didnt show anything. Well... need to figure out more . Getting step by step closer !

Will give it a try tonight or tomorrow again !

Checked today again, removed and reinstalled all. 
But the mame roms won't be listed
Just added 20 roms from my old cabinet, and the [LIST_MAME_VERIFY].txt shows that the roms are bad

[LIST_MAME_VERIFY].txt

Installing HBmame and copy the files, all the roms are listed

I also installed GameEx. That has a lot of settings, but the same roms works with the MAME emulator.
And I have set the ESC key of the keyboard to exit emulator, but that doesn't work. Works fine in Gamex itself

Small other thing. The weather plugin doesn't work in Gameex Evolution. Worksfine in gameEx for me

[SETUPWIZARD].log[GAMEEX_EVOLUTION].log

Got it Tom !

Roms where pretty old. I have a full rom set and those are working now.

I set the exit to [KEYCODE_ESCAPE] (instead of [KEYCODE_ESC]) and that is working.

Got all working except the weather report, but thats no big deal.

Thanks for your help ! And sorry for the noob questions I had.