All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

PinballX 3.62 64Bit

scutters

The installer didn't default to 64bit install so i selected it and installed v3.62

PinballX didn't start as 64bit (with all plugins disabled), no log.txt generated. I did get these errors in the event log though;

Application: PinballX.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.BadImageFormatException
   at PinballX.FrmMain..ctor()
   at PinballX.FrmMain.Main(System.String[])

Faulting application name: PinballX.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d6ee2ca
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17763.404, time stamp: 0x2528b630
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000039129
Faulting process id: 0x1e1c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d562f3a5f2d8d4
Faulting application path: C:\PinballX\PinballX.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 3226bf5b-2ded-4d5a-b06d-efe5513533ed
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Any ideas?

I've gone back to the 32bit of 3.62 for now.

Oh, and in 64bit the plugin manager didn't save changes to pinballx.ini when disabling plugins.

Sorry to bring the bad news Tom :(

PinballX.ini

Tried the 64 bit on my desktop, it installed and runs ok there - both are win10 64 bit, but the cab is offline (last win update a few months back), so maybe a .net runtime thing?

Plugin manager doesn't save disabled / enabled plugins on my desktop either though.

What version of .net you have installed on the cab ? As far I remember I did 4.7 install and 4.6 is default  on w10. Framework 4.8 is the latest version, but should all cover 4.0-4.6.

What version of w10 do you have?

**off topic**

Damend versions goes to fast. Still on 3.59 and didn't have time to update. I hope the 3.62 64 bit works with w10 1903. 1 issue that DOF plugin in pbx crashed, so reverted to 1809.

Thanks Tom !

**end of:off topic**

I have run sfc /scannow - didn't find anything. Tried installing PinballX to a new folder, didn't work there so not a pinballx file issue.

From settings log (settings.exe loads);

04/09/2019 12:10:59: OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
04/09/2019 12:10:59: Version: 10.0.17763

04/09/2019 12:10:59: .NET Framework 2.0 Installed
04/09/2019 12:10:59: .NET Framework 4.0 Installed
04/09/2019 12:10:59: .NET Framework 4.71 Installed

From reg key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full, .net was v4.7.03190 (desktop is only 4.7.03056), now updated to 4.8.03761 just in case...

Still not loading 64bit pbx

Tried a few other things..

Ran the .net verification tool https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2008/10/13/net-framework-setup-verification-tool-users-guide/, all versions verified to 4.7.2 ok

Ran .net repair tool (again, just in case) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Only thing i've found a few logs during pbx install for c++ 2010 redistributable (A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine.) as i guess somethings installed a service packed version at some time - but they've been happening for a while so i think can be discounted.

Any ideas on what to try next welcome!!

Installed the 64bit version last night on my CAB and so far everything is looking good.    I launched a few  FX3,  VPX , Zaccaria and Arcooda tables without issues.    I am fully patched

Windows 10 Pro 64bit.     I have DOF installed but only am using it with Pinscape for nudging.

I'm kinda stuck for ideas now on what to do next. Last resort would be hooking the cab up for windows updates but i'll wait a bit to see if anyone has any other ideas, as updates are just as likely to cause another problem as they are to fix this (from past experiences!)

32bit works for me though, so i can go with that for now.

What version of Windows do you use @scutters? I will check my cab soon (just to check if I have the issue too, or that you alone with this issue)

Edit:
installed 3.62 64 bit. 
I guess because I already have a 32bit installed that the default option was not checked, but PBX is launching fine

So must be something in your CAB scutters

Took the plunge and ran windows updates.

Loads of cumaltive updates, some for .net runtime, all installed successfully. Still no joy with 64bit pbx.

Updated to Win10 1903. Still no luck.  

Everything now fully updated.

Also ran dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth - no issues found.

Back to 32bit PinballX then..

Hey @scutters

I Checked the crashdump :

Looks like XDMDNative.dll is causing the issue : Or it is corrupt on your system (or the programmer has a wrong initialization for this DLL, but I doubt that ;):

Key  : CLR.System.BadImageFormatException._message
    Value: Could not load file or assembly 'XDMDNative.dll' or one of its dependencies.  is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)

and

PROCESS_NAME:  PinballX.exe

EXCEPTION_CODE: (HRESULT) 0x800700c1 (2147942593) - %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

EXCEPTION_CODE_STR:  800700c1

maybe you have the DLL in another folder on your cab and  registered  an old version of it in the past ?
I see that this DLL is compiled in PBX 3.62 on the 1st of september.  So new version of it
(Cannot install PBX 3.63, because my cab only give a black screen ... :(. looks dead ... )

Not sure if XDMD.dll also has to do with XDMDNative.dll

You must look at that way. Maybe uninstall PBX and de-register all the DLL's and install again

• Thanks 1

I do have other versions of xdmd.dll & xdmdnative.dll on the system, but only in \Visual Pinball\XDMD\ (UltraDMD files) - which i guess need to be 32bit. Tried removing them to test, no change.

Maybe a lower dependency for xdmdnative?... will continue to dig..

I suggest installing the 64 bit version to a separate folder then copy those 2 files over, then reinstall over the top to your usual location.

Those files are not registered with windows so its strange. Maybe the file are not getting overwritten by the installer or are locked, read only etc.

Thanks for the suggestion Tom, sadly though didn't work.

The 64bit didn't work when in its own new folder either. Strange indeed.

Still the same error in event log, must be a 32bit file getting involved somewhere. It's a bugger to find though!

54 minutes ago, Tom Speirs said:

Maybe it is in the windows foder or subfolder of it. Open up c:\windows in explorer and search for xdmd.

Years ago they used to call it DLL hell!

We still call it the DLL hell. Every windows version promised it would be better.

With .net it should get better .... but still Hell !

Only way to do it, is run every application in own sandbox/container. But little hard when pbx is isolated and cannot get to example vpx or fx3.....

Are the 2 dll's registered in the registry, or just working as a libary ?

Otherwise check your complete registry, find the guids of the dll and do a manual clean ... 

Thanks again for further suggestions. Still getting nowhere with it..

No entries for XDMD in registry other than for ultradmd.

No other XDMDxxx files on the pc except those in pinballx and ultradmd folders

Ran procmon - that showed pinballx is trying to load xdmd.dll in the pinballx folder as expected before crashing out. Doesn't show entries for xdmdnative.dll as i assume that is a dependency of xdmd.dll

Suppose I'll give updating / reinstalling the vc runtime a go. @Tom Speirs what version should i go for 2010,2015 SPx? Thanks.

(Yes, this is still hell!!)