All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Suggestions On PC upgrade

Phantom

Hey peeps,

Ive decided it’s time to start upgrading my Arcade PC. My current PC is a Frankenstein machine that I put together maybe 10 years ago when I started with GameEx. It does the job but I’d like to have it running silky smooth and also future proof for Evolution.

I admit it’s been a while since i read up on hardware specs so I figured I ask what you all think.

I just need a

Motherboard 

CPU (i7 or is i5 good enough and which version)

Ram (depending on price i would want 16gigs)

GPU (really clueless on this)

Thanks for any help

Seems to me you already have a fair idea. Unless you are going to be emulating some of the mostcrecent Sony or Microsoft consoles, you won't go wrong buying the fastest chip with the most RAM on a supporting motherboard to future proof for a few years. Same goes for the GPU.

I won't suggest one brand over another as I refuse to do other people's homework for them. B)

CNET, PC World, and Tom's Hardware sites is where I would start, followed by reviews on Newegg, Amazon, Best Buy, etc.

Thanks I don’t want anyone doing my homework either but I just wanted suggestions on what chips people think will do the job. I know the fastest and most expensive will obviously work, I’m just not up to speed on what chipsets to look for, ram speeds and cpu versions. (Maybe an i7 is overkill for GameEx?) and for gpu where are we with NVidia vs AMD? (Even AMD vs Intel CPUs for that matter)

Again this will be for GameEX. I have pcs for video editing and everyday use. We know the MIN Requirements listed for GameEX, what’s the SUGGESTED Hardware Requirements.

thanks in advance

You'll probably find opinions equally divided between Asus and Intel for motherboards. An i5 with 16 GB RAM is probably sufficient. Nvidia and AMD GPUs run about equal, but if it were me would look at an Nvidia 1080.

Awesome thanks Draco. That kinda gives me a good base to start at especially the GPU since it’s been so long since I’ve had to buy one.

if anyone else has ideas. I’m all ears

Here's a question,

for all the Zipping and unzipping of "roms" what matters most? faster CPU or Ram? 

All my drives are SSD so i won't be getting much faster for that. But I'd like quicker load times for the stuff that has to be unzipped.