All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

The Video Game Industry Can't Go On Like This

tthurman

This article makes some interesting points, but like many these days there is a bit of a hidden agenda.

This one not so much as the author veers off topic badly at the end of this one.  Regardless, some interesting points are made, all of which are debatable, obviously.  Sort of humorous to some degree when you consider the resurgence of retro gaming, something that never had these massive development budgets, but yet somehow has managed to stay popular for 40 years.

If it cost's too much money to make photorealistic games, and that's the reason we're not seeing as many good games being released for new consoles, then why make photorealistic games? If all we can expect is another FPS iteration and MMO, but no Platformers, RPGs, or Single Player Adventuress, then the industry is certainly not going to survive. 3rd party developers are going to have to focus on less difficult/expensive to produce content, like Indie does. Why not return to PS2 era graphics and throw full might into a new Retro title. I wouldn't mind seeing a renaissance of 80/90s/early 00s style video games. 1st party re-released N64s updated with wireless controllers, HDMI, and internet access to DLC? Hell yeah, I'd buy that! PS5? Probably not at this point!

I only play single player games.  I like the social networking that we get with current gen consoles, but I hate playing games with multiple people.  Usually it's because they're better than me and too competitive.  It's no fun if you're constantly dying because some kid is better than you.  It's especially no fun when they're cheating.  I don't play to compete with people, only myself.  I also only play when I want to.  I'm a casual gamer.  I want to sit and enjoy myself, not struggle to advance my stats so I can move on to a new area.  Anymore, developers seem to making games that appeal to to the hard core, multiuser, competitive population.  They've forgotten about the gamers like me.

Me too. Casual gamer. I prefer to advance without too much difficulty, unless it makes sense (a final boss or something). Emulation offers rewind and save states that's opened up the library of old game to me. Back then I wasn't good enough, or patient enough to get good. So I just declared the game unfair and moved on. Now I can just rewind and try again (cheat). That allows me to casually play difficult, but awesome games I wouldn't give a chance as a kid.

As for FPS/multiplayer games. I do mind micro-transactions and unfair advantages given to those who pay for DLC. There shouldn't be a DLC weapon that's more powerful vs what's available out of the box. I did play a lot of Halo 2 back in the day, but there was only one way to play back then (CRT on OG X-Box), well I guess PC, but who cares. There were no mixing of PC/Console players (PC has a clear advantage with the mouse). Actually Halo 2 shipped with a slightly too powerful handgun. Dual wielding it you could pwn the comp, if you were good enough to keep the crosshairs (circle) on their head for every shot. That took skillz. Otherwise it wasn't that big of an advantage. However, noobs complained of cheating and Bungi fatally crippled it's power in an update over XB live. They were useless after that. Total BS! Today there are varying degrees of lag based on your TV and internet connection. One person may have a banging PC, monitor, gaming mouse & Keyboard that gives them an advantage over someone with a l...a...g...g...y setup. It was just simpler when everyone had CRT's with Zero lag.