All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

(Expired) Playstation Classic - $19.99 (Prime Day deal)

tthurman

I bought one a week ago when it was $25, they were price-matching Best Buy.  Now that I have it, I can totally see why it bombed.  Sony tried to cash in on the Mini/Retro scene and flopped it big time.  They offered 20 games, of which maybe 2 are worth playing.  The only A-List games they included are Final Fantasy 7 and Metal Gear Solid.  They failed to include any games with their mascot (Crash Bandicoot), as well as platform defining games like Grand Tourismo and Tony Hawks.  Instead, they included games nobody ever heard of or want to play, like Jumping Flash and Mr. Driller.  They didn't include a power adapter, so you have to plug it in to an available USB port somewhere (like your TV).  My TV doesn't supply enough voltage to even power it up.  They also included original controllers, not even Dual Shock.  So games like FF7 and MGS that USE analog and rumble are just left without.  Nope, if it wasn't for the modding community and 3rd party addons like the 8BitDo dongles, I wouldn't have wasted my money.  But I did, and thanks to those things, I was able to rip my copies of FF8, FF9, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, Resident Evil 2, Crash 1/2/3 and add them, and my 8BitDo dongle means I can use the wireless PS3 controller with rumble.  Way to go Sony.

Like Draco said.. it's crap but easily modded and worth the price at this point.  You can even get RetroArch on it and thus the entire collection of emulatable games it supports.  The one hack I'm doing (not going to openly discuss the name or where to get it) just added OTG support so you can use USB flash drives inline with the power, so you're not wasting the 2nd player port.  They're also working on adding network support via wifi dongles, so (in theory) you could do online match matching through RetroArch and even hook into RetroAchievements.  It's actually kinda neet.  Makes me want to go and find an NESC and SNESC.  I know the Genesis is either out or coming soon too.  That one I might just have to buy first run, because I was a Genesis kid.

I've got 3 of these already running. My son has one, I have one and this one will go to my daughter. Plus they're still working on the firmware upgrades and emulation. Hell just using it for a Playstation system with 100's of games it'll be worth it!

Hell just using it for a Playstation system with 100's of games it'll be worth it!

I guess I'm about to find out, I skipped every console between the SNES and original XBOX. 

I'm re-configuring my PC displays and now have a spare RL2755 that will soon come in handy for my PS3 and the classic!

• 5 weeks later...

I use this OTG Adapter and it works great. I am running a 128GB Sandisk Cruzer USB drive and still have room to spare.

Lastly - and most important - I purchased a pair of 8bitdo Bluetooth adapters so I can use my PS3 controllers (or my SNES 8bitdo controllers... or my 8bitdo arcade stick... or my XBox controller... most bluetooth ones work!)

The 8bitdo bluetooth adapters were $15 each used and the OTG adapter was $2.80 on eBay. I already have a large amount of USB thumb drives at hand and obviously the selection of controllers were already onhand from my Raspberry Pi builds.

SO... for me I paid $52.80 for my console and all the fixings. For the use I get out of it I think I hit a sweet spot in terms of cost vs value/return. And it was STILL cheaper than a Pi 3B setup once you price that out as well.

(Don't get me wrong. I love my Pi setup and it still has a permanent home in the living room entertainment center.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys.

I  just grabbed them off Amazon.  Not sure why the other one seem so prone to high failure rates, but I grabbed this pair instead.  I was somewhat reluctant to pickup the 8bitdo adapters right now, because even used they are $19.  Regardless I went ahead an pulled the trigger because I found a Blu-Ray release I wasn't aware of that I wanted.  I've got a 128 Gig USB drive that I can free up, which should get me well underway.

What did you guys do for box art, just grabbing it from your gameex install?

• Like 1

I have the 8Bitdo SF30Pro and SN30Pro controllers. Love them! I highly recommend the PC/PSC dongle. They're the same thing, just with different FW. I flashed the PSC firmware to my PC dongle and can use it either way. It's my goto controller for GameEX and Retroarch on my PC now. You can pair a PS3/4 controller if you prefer also. I also got the Phone clip so I can use it as a handheld playing RA on my phone. That's actually my favorite use for it, but yes it's kinda awkward (top heavy). I got used to it though.

4 hours ago, tthurman said:

What did you guys do for box art, just grabbing it from your gameex install?

I use my EMUmovies subscription to DL the artwork and fill in any missing/wrong ones with those found on the web (not google). Also, they need to be PNG for the transfer process to work. Follow this tutorial. Everything you need all in one place!

• Like 2

I think I used the art I have for my GameEx setup. I just had to rename a couple of covers due to the way RetroArch handles naming conventions. Everything has artwork though.

Felix has the right idea. If you don't have the artwork go with EMUmovies. :)

$14.80/ea if you buy 2 or more (this is the exact auction where I got mine):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8Bitdo-USB-Wireless-Bluetooth-Adapter-Nintendo-Switch-Ps1-Windows-Mac-Raspi-Pi/283547363470?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ClassicGMR said:

Oh now you tell me :lol:

As for the art, I was thinking about just loading the emu's I want and letting the GameEx downloader grab them with my EMU Movies account, so it's good to know you guys did exactly that.

8 hours ago, RIP-Felix said:

I highly recommend the PC/PSC dongle

Who makes this?

I see,  basically just seconding ClassicGMR's recommendation, that's exactly what I got.  For me this kills two birds with one stone, as it will allow my PS3 controllers to work on my cab too!

It's amazing how much modding the community has done with these, I've been checking out a lot of reviews over on madllittlepixel's channel, and there are numerous options out there. 

Thanks guys!

Using PS3 controllers with the adapter requires a couple of extra steps. Trust me... very easy and won't take more than 3-4 minutes to do. Only have to do it once as well.

EDIT: I used Method 2 as described in the readme that came with the install link above:

Method 2:
    Temporarily disable driver signature enforcement
    The specific steps is as "How To Temporarily Disable Driver Signature Enforcement On Win8 And Win10".

There's a graphical walkthrough on how to do this and when you reboot again DSE is turned back on.