All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Alien Syndrome

3rd Quarter 2019 GOTQ Winner - Cynicaster - 167,400 (link)

Alien Syndrome
Alien Syndrome Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 Cynicaster 167,400
2 rtkiii 149,700
3 Floyd Turbo 102,700
4 patrickfx 88,900
5 millerbrad 74,800
6 GimmeClassics 45,200
Last Updated by hansolo77: 07-24-2020

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for Alien Syndrome:

ROMSet: AlienSyn
Unknown: Off
Lives: 3
Difficulty: Normal
Timer: 150 seconds

Special Rules: This is a Single Player ONLY Variation! Continues are NOT allowed!

The green coloured default values match the Twin Galaxies settings.

The red coloured values need to be changed!

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide: :link:
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide: :link:
# general rules for submitting you hi-score: :link:

Alien Syndrome (エイリアンシンドローム Eirian Shindorōmu) is a run and gun game developed by Sega and released in arcades in 1987.

Two players control two soldiers, named Ricky and Mary, who fight their way through large eight-way scrolling levels while rescuing their comrades who are being held by aliens. After they have rescued a certain number of hostages, the exit opens and they can pass through it in order to fight the end-of-level guardian. If this monstrosity is defeated, they are then able to move onto the next stage. Alien Syndrome features two player simultaneous gameplay and pickups which assist the player, including better weapons and maps of the current level.

In 1988, the game was ported to the Master System, MSX, Amiga, Atari ST, Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, and Famicom/Nintendo Entertainment System (published by Tengen without a Nintendo license). Later, the game was ported to the ZX Spectrum (1989) Game Gear (1992) and Sharp X68000 (1992), the latter being the only arcade perfect port.

The original arcade version of the game was reviewed in the July 1987 issue of Computer and Video Games, where Clare Edgeley described it as "one of the most gripping games" she "played in months", praising the Aliens like horror atmosphere, chilling sounds, special effects, graphics and gameplay. She stated it was "the first time the atmosphere and sheer addictiveness of a shoot 'em up has transported me to another planet" and concluded that it "is fantastic."[1]

The Master System version of the game was reviewed in 1989 in Dragon, getting 2 out of 5 stars.[2]

The game was also converted to polygonal graphics for the PS2 as part of the Sega Ages re-release program and included in the US version of the Sega Classics Collection (it was removed from the European version to receive a lower age certificate). This version has updated controls, adding the use of both analog sticks, similar to that seen in Sheriff, Robotron: 2084 and Smash TV. The original arcade game was also included as an unlockable in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

A sequel of the same name, Alien Syndrome, was released for Wii and PSP on July 24, 2007.

- Quoted from Wikipedia

Here's our next game in the competition.  Start posting those scores! :)  I did a test run (mostly just to verify the default DIPS).  It's a pretty good game.  I had it on the Sega Master System when I was kid, so I might have a little more advanced knowledge/practice than others.  I know in my home version, I made it to about stage 4.  In my quick play through just now, I managed to make it to the 1st stage boss (there's one for each stage) and died shortly thereafter.  One major difference I noticed is the top layer of graphics overlaying the screen, meant to be pipes in the way while looking "down" at the play field.  It's kind of annoying, not having been there n the SMS version.  But it's only mildly distracting and you forget about it after a while.  Anyway, hope you guys enjoy this game!  I know I will! ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

After a couple of tries I managed to get on the in-game high score board B)

My score: 45,200
Initials: DEN

~ GC

@hansolo77: I'm on a small vacation (to Germany) and can't seem to upload my score using the DBM because of a not-safe wifi connection. Could you perhaps update our thread ? Thanks buddy ^_^

aliensyn0001.png

It's not open to "anyone"... we are a close tight-knit community and these high score submissions are meant to be for those of us who have been around for awhile.  Meaning, an active, supporting member of the site and a supporting user of the GameEx software.  I'm sorry if this isn't what your looking for.  We don't offer any prizes, and your fame will just be known as an annoyance around here.  We had somebody come in, probably cheating (as many of his scores were better than those at Twin Galaxies (the "official" world record site)), snipe out and top our best players with un-matchable scores.  He was rude to the admins, didn't adhere to the rules, and wasn't a supporter of the site or it's software.  He was not welcome, and banned.  That's not to say we don't want new players.  Our "competition" has started to stagnate, and new players is always welcome.  We just ask that before you start submitting scores, you must understand that we only want people who are actively supporting the forums and the software.  With only 1 post under your belt, you're not exactly aged like fine wine, if you get my meaning.  Hope you enjoy your time here though, and feel free to ask for help when/where needed.  ^_^

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ILLSeaBass said:

No worries, sounds a bit Nazi and unwelcoming so I'll pass. Good luck with the site.

...you've just confirmed you don't want to take any effort to get to know our community. That's all we ask.

Maybe you've noticed the name of our competition ? GameEx Hi-Score Competition…….it kind of reveals it's a community competition ;).
It's a friendly community and a friendly competition and we like to keep it that way... Everybody is welcome but we don't need any hit-and-run players. Like Hansolo explained we've had bad experiences with players just posting a few (insane) scores, being rude and don't try to get to know our members and/or the GameEx software.

Reading your reply I think you find a better fit at other high score competition websites. Good luck.

*** You've submitted a score of 964,700 points at Twin Galaxies - ranking no. 3 in the world ! Again, we have a friendly competition and this competition is not really a place for world-class players. Other high score websites are a better fit. I hope for your understanding.

Edited by GimmeClassics
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Somebody brought their game and came to play!  Thanks for the submission @rtkiii.  And thanks for the comments on the poll thread.  I hope we continue running too.  Submissions like yours will certainly do well to keep me motivated!

Updated OP, DB, RSS

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

You sir, are just awesome.  I've had a huge break down recently and was nearly suicidal.  I know we don't like to discuss off-topic things like that, and especially of that specific topic.  But let's just say I spent a long time visiting lost relatives and got my head back on straight.  My personal demons are what's keeping me from playing currently.  But next day I have off work, I'm definitely going to try posting up a score for this one.  It's one of the few games (albeit much better quality) I grew up with.  Time to get back to my roots.  :)

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Well Han, keep your head up and take support from your family when things get rough.  That sure saved my ass when things got rough for me.  

As for Alien Syndrome, I never played this one in the 80s but I did play it in the AtariAge high score club 7-8 years ago, so I'm not totally green with it.  Actually, I just checked; the score I got in that competition is significantly higher than what I've posted here.  That's the problem with games like this - so much of it is memorization that if you go a long stretch without playing, you lose it all and have to almost start over.

In digging up the old AA thread, I was reminded of a play tip I posted back then that I had completely forgotten about, regarding how to handle the 2nd boss that throws those blobs at you.  I was really struggling with that boss the other night because the blobs are very difficult to avoid.  What you can do is grab the flame-thrower weapon (not the fireball weapon) and when the monster lobs the blobs at you, just stand still and let them land around you.  When they land, mash the button and spin around in a circle.  The flamethrower will nuke the blobs around you and give you a chance to attack the main monster.  

• Like 1