All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] PinballX v3.47 overlays VPinball921

RetroZed

SOLVED: It all had to do with permissions with the PX and VP folders not saving and needed to use command lines to force it. See post #7 regarding iCACLS commands.

Hey Team,

I'm trying to debug an issue where PX v3.47 is loading a VP9 table with VPinball921.exe

If it's any use, this is the table being used: 

• Terminator 2 - Chrome Edition FS (VP920) MOD v1.07
  • Terminator 2 Judgement Day (L-8) - ROM - t2_l8.zip
  • Terminator 2 - Chrome Edition - 3 Screen - 16:10 - 1920x1200 [directB2S] 1.0

VPinball921.exe is being used as graphical tearing occurs when using VPinball995.exe

Each time a table is selected by PX, the PX Loading screen comes up, VP starts loading the table, then the PX selection screen overlays the loaded VP9 table. ALT-TAB is not a option and does not work in switching screens. The loaded VP table is in full-screen when you exit PX.

The Log indicates Access Denial to a few System.Diagnostics processes and PinballX.FrmMain.w()

Attached is my PX .ini and Log.

Cheers,

RetroZed

PinballX.ini log.txt

There is no need to run PinballX in compatibility mode and is generally not recommended.

You need to check the permissions in your VP folder. 

I also noticed that you are running Win 10 with only 4 GB of RAM. While 4 is OK for 64-bit Win 10, you may want to try running the 32-bit version of PinballX if you find any performance hits or compatibility issues with plugins.

Absolutely, but didn't hurt to quickly test PX in compatibility mode in addition to running from Win10 in light of the issue.

Permissions on PX and VP folders have always been full access read/write. Set those right from the outset. One thing I did notice was the button to "UNLOCK" was never presented and I've seen that in the properties folder previously.

Nothing would hurt trying 32bit PX, additionally the system won't remain with 4GB. DIMM 3 conveniently died recently *facepalm*. New hardware on the near horizon.

So the Log shows denied access to several items. What's the go here? Are these referring to the denied access to PX scripts? I doubt PinballX.FrmMain would exist in all table scripts as a global line.

Object name: 'FrmMain'.
10:01:05.9  23/06/2019:     at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateHandle()
10:01:05.9  23/06/2019:     at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CreateHandle()
10:01:05.9  23/06/2019:     at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_Handle()
10:01:05.9  23/06/2019:     at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
10:01:05.9  23/06/2019:     at System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
10:01:05.9  23/06/2019:     at PinballX.FrmMain.w()

Update: No change when testing with 32bit PX. Same issue persists. PX remains as top layer on overlay. Once PX is closed, the loaded VP table becomes top overlay. 

Edited by RetroZed
Update to testing with 32bit PinballX - No Change.

Not sure where the errors come from. In your log. It looks like it is still not having all the access to monitor the vp995 process. Googling arround it is functions frOm .net frame work accessing your processes

Found the next article that will give "Everyone" or a more specific user like "Authenicated Users" the right to debug programs:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2d8c002c-0909-42f1-a69c-6c2ae6468ff8/workflowruntimestartruntime-throws-win32exception-access-is-denied?forum=windowsworkflowfoundation

Maybe it helps.

Thanks Mike,

That article did help in a stepping stone kind of way. The original link didn't provide any solutions, it did however have someone talking about 'Permission Denied' Errors. A googly search on 'Permission Denied Visual Pinball' led me to an Pre-Vista application called CACLS. The successor being iCACLS.

My folder structure is 'C:\Pinball\PinballX' and 'C:\Pinball\Visual Pinball', so I ran these command in sequence from CMD:

icacls "C:\Pinball" /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
icacls "C:\Pinball" /grant:r Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /T
icacls "C:\Pinball" /grant:r Administrators:(OI)(CI)M /T

From what I understand, these commands change the NTFS permissions on C:\Pinball, removes all existing inherited permissions and replace with Full control for everyone and Change/Modify permission then applies the new permissions to the folder and inherit down to subfolders and files (OI)(CI).

This did have a positive effect. When the table loaded, it was at the top layer of the overlay. GAME ON!!!

New problem now. When the table is exited from, PinballX does not reload into the table selection menu of PinballX and remains as a black screen. ALT-TAB doesn't work. When forced closed, it reloads itself after 5-10min and the table selection is no longer in cabinet mode, but in the standard windows resolution and orientation. Only after a whole system reset, does the system recover.

2 hours ago, RetroZed said:

New problem now. When the table is exited from, PinballX does not reload into the table selection menu of PinballX and remains as a black screen. ALT-TAB doesn't work. When forced closed, it reloads itself after 5-10min and the table selection is no longer in cabinet mode, but in the standard windows resolution and orientation. Only after a whole system reset, does the system recover.

Can you post a new log file when that behaviour happens?

All good now.

When the first exit failure happened, the display properties and key mapping corrupted.

Q and ESC were switched, so when the VP game was exited, it did so from within the VP environment, not within the PX environment.

PX thought the game was still running. Seems like the watchdog in PinballX doesn't work terribly well monitoring VPinball921.exe shutting down tables.

Deleted, reinstalled and setup PX again. When hitting 'Q' the table exits correctly.

If you hit ESC and still exit the table within the VP921 environment, PX still has conniptions.