All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx Evolution Features & Enhancements Requests

• 8 months later...

FEATURE REQUEST - for those of us currently using GameEx or GameEx Arcade, having an option to import or convert gameex.ini  to populate existing emulator paths and command lines over to Evo to minimize setup time.

• Like 1

• Draco1962 changed the title to Feature & Enhancement Requests

I just started playing around in the latest Beta of Evo and noticed something that I can see will be an issue for me.  I run multiple versions of MAME in parallel.  In regular GameEx I deal with this via custom scripts that take care of running the games in the correct version and creating the combined game list  (I'll leave out the details, but it works well enough), but Evo seems to "automate" things too much for me to do this effectively.  I think there are other ways I can fake it into working for me, but since Evo is so new I thought it would be worth making a plug for first class support of multiple mame installs,

In principle the idea is simple.  In Evo today, if you go into the emulator setup and try to add a second instance of a MAME emulator it doesn't let you (you can only replace the existing one).  What I would like to see is the ability to add additional MAME emulators, each with their own independent configuration and rom list.  At runtime, these would be regarded collectively as a single set of roms and assets within the front end, similar to the way groups work in GameEx.  And that's it.  If you could do something like this, it would be wonderful!!

On 9/21/2018 at 8:59 PM, Draco1962 said:

FEATURE REQUEST - for those of us currently using GameEx or GameEx Arcade, having an option to import or convert gameex.ini  to populate existing emulator paths and command lines over to Evo to minimize setup time.

I second this.  This would be very helpful.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I would like to throw this out there for a possible future enhancement.  The filter for List Games has support for file tags which is AWESOME.  Unfortunately, the way it handles them is not.  

For example, I would like to set up a filter to show only verified dumps, but no alternate, pirate, hack or overdump ROMs.   I can set up the filter to show verified dumps but that will include verified alternates which clutter up the list.  Ideally, the filter should be designed so that a given flag is either required or is forcibly excluded.    (A  three-state switch would be awesome.)  In my example, I'd set the flag filter to require verified ROMs but must not include pirate, hack, etc.  

Another simpler possibility would be to give us the option to make the filters strictly exclusionary.  Then I could just check no pirate, no hack, etc and I could get a clean list.

This would go a long way towards giving us the flexibility to default display only the "Good" ROMs but still allow us to tweak the filter on the fly to find that rare prototype gem when we want.

Thanks for reading!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am going back through setting up my favorites after needing to force defaults to solve the crash problem I listed in another thread, and going into each game and scrolling to that part of the menu is taking quite a while.  Having a hot key to add/remove favorites from the games list would be nice.

• Draco1962 pinned this topic
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I had posted this earlier this year in another forum where it was suggested to make a  feature request but forgot to follow up on it.  It would be nice to be able to bind spinner to scroll through game list (similar to GameEx) as opposed to control one axis of the mouse.  

• 2 months later...