All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

pinball x erases all settings

kach069

hello! this would be about the 4th time it has happened and it is very random.  for no reason that i can replicate, when i boot up the computer for the day pinballx will boot up but all my settings in pinballx are completely  gone. everything from button mapping to file mapping have been wiped.  fairly easy to put back together but just so random.  

i figured this time i will make you aware since last time i had an issue and posted, you guys fixed in very quickly.

thanks a bunch

PinballX.ini log.txt

The only time i've had similar was when i either shut down windows whilst pinballx was still running, or worse just powered down at the mains in error.. make sure you do a proper shutdown, easiest via pinballx exit screen shutdown option before powering off. Or are you sure you do that every time anyway?

Not sure weather PBX writes any data during an exit as @scutters mentions but its a valid point and that you should always shutdown using the EXIT option in PBX is the best option.

( but as mine is in a cab i never switch off  so i cant say if it writes any data )

it did it again and i have exited properly.  odd thing is that wen you try and put all the settings back in pinballx the way they were, it takes a few attempts before it takes. it also erased the backglass setting in the vpinball screenres.txt notepad.  did that 2 times now. 

I'm not aware  that PBX should delete files or modify screenres.txt
The INI file you post looks corrupt to me. Do you have  a bad harddrive in your system ?
If so, try a CHKDSK /r from the prompt to check and repair your harddrive (Also check your eventlog)
Do you have a backup system running on your CAB ?
I had a similar thing with realtime backup to my NAS. Files get locked by backup and deleted them. 

The hardrive is fairly new and solid state but I will take a look.  PinballX is the only thing that gives me some trouble right now from time to time.  It just erases all the pinballX settings and then it gives me trouble getting them back in the software and saving.  It takes multiple attempts for it to save for some reason.  

5 hours ago, kach069 said:

The hardrive is fairly new and solid state but I will take a look.  PinballX is the only thing that gives me some trouble right now from time to time.  It just erases all the pinballX settings and then it gives me trouble getting them back in the software and saving.  It takes multiple attempts for it to save for some reason.  

Not an answer to your main problem, but..

When you've got your settings back how you want them, backup/copy your pinballx.ini file somewhere. If the settings get corrupted again it'll be quicker to copy that file back over than going through setting up everything again. 

As well as backing up the file can you also post your new working version back on here so we can have a quick check? thanks

Did not think of that Scutters - thank you.  Still new to this scene but love me some pinball though!  (and yes, i will post the working file when I get a chance)