All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

PinballX doesn't save the nvram when using "alternate exe"

E36M3ZF

I have setup a large collection of tables from both vp9 and vpx. So i have to use the alternate exe to be able to run both. Since i started with vp9, i setup the alternate exe as vpx.

Problem is that some tables (like The Getaway 2) don't save the nvram (and the high scores) this way. On my secondary setup where i only run vpx tables (so i don't use alternate exe) Getaway 2 saves the nvram fine.

Is there any way to fix this? I'm using the latest PinballX version as of now.

I don't follow you exactly.
What do you mean with alternate exe ? VPT files are handled by the VPinball995.exe and VPX files by Vpinballx.exe
So setting up 2 "systems" in PBX. 1 for handling all your tables for vp9 tables and 1 for handling VPX tables.

Dus is all works outside PBX ? 

Can you provide your PBX log file and your settings file ?

1 hour ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

VPT files are handled by the VPinball995.exe and VPX files by Vpinballx.exe

Yes but PinballX doesn't know which exe to run. If i use vp9 as my main emulator then i have to add this line to every vpx table in the database file:

<alternateexe>VPinballX.exe</alternateexe>

If i don't, whenever i try to launch a vpx table i get a warning that i'm using the wrong version (because it launches vp9) and then it closes.

Is there another way to split VP9 and VPX tables? When i use the game manager it adds everything in one list. How else can i launch the correct tables with the correct VP version without using the alternate exe command? I'm trying to figure this out for hours and can't find anything.

41 minutes ago, E36M3ZF said:

Is there another way to split VP9 and VPX tables? When i use the game manager it adds everything in one list. How else can i launch the correct tables with the correct VP version without using the alternate exe command? I'm trying to figure this out for hours and can't find anything.

You can use 'Other Systems' in settings and add VPX or VP9 tables there, leaving the other version under visual pinball.

Can't post screenshot of settings.exe at the moment but here's how i have VPX setup from the ini file for Other System;

[System_3]
Enabled=True
WorkingPath=C:\Visual Pinball
TablePath=C:\Visual Pinball\Tables
Executable=VPinballX.exe
NAME=Visual Pinball X
SystemType=1
Parameters=/play -"[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE]"

12 minutes ago, scutters said:

You can use 'Other Systems' in settings and add VPX or VP9 tables there, leaving the other version under visual pinball.

Can't post screenshot of settings.exe at the moment but here's how i have VPX setup from the ini file for Other System;

[System_3]
Enabled=True
WorkingPath=C:\Visual Pinball
TablePath=C:\Visual Pinball\Tables
Executable=VPinballX.exe
NAME=Visual Pinball X
SystemType=1
Parameters=/play -"[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE]"

How do i add vpx or pv9 tables separately though? Game manager just reads all of them and adds them in any list. There is no option or filter to add vpx only or vp9 only.

Do i have to use a separate tables folder and path for each maybe? Isn't that going to mess up the paths since "tables" must be the only correct one? Anyway, i'll give this a try.

I have split my tables in seperate folders.

All vp9 in a folder and vpx.

Within pbx i create (as @scutters mentioned) an extra section.

Let the vpx.exe point to the vpx path and the vp9.exe to vp9 path

In the next post I explained it a while ago

4 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

I have split my tables in seperate folders.

All vp9 in a folder and vpx.

Within pbx i create (as @scutters mentioned) an extra section.

Let the vpx.exe point to the vpx path and the vp9.exe to vp9 path

In the next post I explained it a while ago

Ok got it.

So i need to make separate folders for VP9 and VPX. One last question though. What about the "other" files in the default tables directory? Like the B2Sserver files, the dlls etc? Aren't they supposed to be in the default folder along with the tables in order to work?

But anyway, thanks. I will test it when i get back.

34 minutes ago, E36M3ZF said:

Ok got it.

So i need to make separate folders for VP9 and VPX. One last question though. What about the "other" files in the default tables directory? Like the B2Sserver files, the dlls etc? Aren't they supposed to be in the default folder along with the tables in order to work?

But anyway, thanks. I will test it when i get back.

The Db2 files can be moved to  the new folder. 
or if multiple tables use the same B2Sfiles you need to copy it.