All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

EVO in a Cabinet Issues - User Interface

GSquarePA

I'm trying to get EVO working in my cabinet. While working on getting LED Blinky to work on my cabinet I am struggling with user interface issues specific to running it in a cabinet. I wanted to start a separate thread on a few interface issues that are making it hard to work on EVO in a cabinet. As background, I have GameEX Arcade edition working fine in this cabinet. I am looking for any thoughts to help me get these issues resolved.

• I cannot get ANY remote control application to interact with any EVO function.  Since standing in front of the cab during long troubleshooting sessions is a pain I usually remotely access the cab from my laptop. The only thing I can do via remote is Double Mouse Click on the app which switches it from full screen to windowed mode. No other remote mouse actions or any remote keyboard commands work. However, the setup application recognizes the remote key presses when assigning input settings. But those entries don't actually do anything in the EVO app. I can't actually close the app remotely without killing the task.
  • I cannot get ALT/CONTROL/ESC (any modifier keys) to register in the EVO client (locally, not remote). My iPAC is configured for standard MAME keyboard input so BACK is Keycode_ESC by default. The setup application allows me to map the Keycode_ESC function to the BACK entry (setup recognizes the key press) but the client doesn't respond to it (same for control and shift commands)
  • I can't get my trackball to be anything but a mouse. Even if I manually change the trackball config value to TRUE in the GAMEEX config file. Scrolling through long lists on the cab via trackball is the easiest method to move around. 

Am I missing something?

I've not tried remote configuring with EVO, but admit it would be a deal breaker if it doesn't work. 

The only time I'm standing at my gaming rig is if I'm playing, all config and troubleshooting are done via remote access.  I'll try to find time to give it a quick go this weekend and let you know how it goes.

I've never considered the trackball for scrolling function, it would seem slow compared to a joystick.  Probably just my personal preference though.