All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] GameEx Evo crashing on startup

John Simon

GameEx Evo started crashing on startup a few days ago.  The logo comes up and then just disappears.  I have attached the ini file.  I was digging around in Event Manager looking for any evidence of what was happening and it had this as well as the 2nd attached file.  I'm not sure if that is useful or not.  Let me know if there is anything else that would be helpful.  Thanks!

Fault bucket 1181731961042843715, type 5
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: gameex evolution.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 5ca3fd97
P4: System.Xml
P5: 2.0.0.0
P6: 5b6a6653
P7: 2852
P8: 124
P9: System.InvalidOperationException
P10: 

[GAMEEX].ini Report.wer

It is Windows 10.  Was there something in what I attached that looked like Windows 7?

There was no dialog box to dismiss when it crashed.  I had to go into Event Manager to see what happened.  I attached the log pointed to by Event Manager, but I was not sure if it was useful.

I am traveling for business this week, but will try reinstalling the .net framework when I get back home.  Thanks for the support!

• 2 weeks later...

I guess reinstalling .net on Windows 10 is not that straight forward.  I can't seem to find an uninstall.  When I try to reinstall it says I already have the latest version and stops.  I did reinstall GameEx Evo 1.05, but still no luck.  Any other things I might try or information I could provide to help debug?  Thanks!

Hi, I don't believe it is a .NET issue. Especially if the setup wizard is working.

Its probably a little bug but unless I or Ben can reproduce it its tricky. 

Could you try just renaming the UserData Folder? That basically removes all settings and starts Evo with default settings.

I zipped up the directory, but the file is huge. (174MB)  I looked at what is taking allot of space and [LIST_MAME].xml 213 MB and [LIST_MAME_MINI].xml is 172MB.  What would be the best way to get you the files?

Exactly the same here. Crash on startup without any message. Renamed UserData and it starts again. But all the config is lost :-(

P.S.: Seems just deleting the "Data" directory also helps. So the emulators and roms are still here.

On 6/4/2019 at 3:42 AM, John Simon said:

Ok, I am uploading to /-GameEx-/Other Uploads/jsimon Evo User Date Folder/

Feel free to delete it after you pull it down.

I'll keep an eye out on this thread if you find anything.  Thanks!

The front end settings where corrupted. !.06 has just been released which resolves the issue but not sure how your file got broken. Maybe improper shutdown.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Just going thought my old postings....realized that I never got back to you but everything works fine now.  I appreciate the quick response and resolution.  Sorry if my incredibly late response suggested lack of appreciation.  Since I built my MAME cabinet, I have had several people interested in making their own, and can't recommend to them GameEx enough.

• Thanks 1