All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

name of the recorded file

qcol

Is it possible to do something to make the recorded media write down according to the description and not the name of the vpx file? VPX file name is troublesome because after each update of the game it requires the names of all files in the media to be changed.  If the files were named as in the description, everything would be OK. 

I think the name matches the file, because thats a unique name.

The description names can be the same, so causes  different tables has the same video.

But this is just an assumption. 

There are no cases where 2 different games have the same name. If I have any MOD then I add "MOD" to the name and it's all right. Some games (especially new ones) are very often updated and file names change to v1.0, v1.01, v1.02 and so on.  This requires a permanent change of the files in the media folder :(

If you have exact matching enabled, then the filename of the media must match the ROM exactly. I prefer this over using fuzzy matching which can mismatch with similarly named files.

1 hour ago, Draco1962 said:

If you have exact matching enabled, then the filename of the media must match the ROM exactly. I prefer this over using fuzzy matching which can mismatch with similarly named files.

ROM? are You sure? Not filename? 

I think it would be less troublesome if you could (although as an option) record a video with the same file name as the description. If I download table audio and launch audio online using the game manager, it saves as a description, not as a file name... there are no consequences here  

5 hours ago, qcol said:

ROM? are You sure? Not filename? 

I think it would be less troublesome if you could (although as an option) record a video with the same file name as the description. If I download table audio and launch audio online using the game manager, it saves as a description, not as a file name... there are no consequences here  

PinballX allows for either game name or filename of thr ROM. Pick your poison.

14 hours ago, qcol said:

Is it possible to do something to make the recorded media write down according to the description and not the name of the vpx file? VPX file name is troublesome because after each update of the game it requires the names of all files in the media to be changed.  If the files were named as in the description, everything would be OK. 

Have you tried PBXRecorder?

image.png.bcf2a3a9943abe71b484a74c41b34cd5.png

10 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

PinballX allows for either game name or filename of thr ROM. Pick your poison.

Where's that option in PinballX because I don't see it? At least it's not in the "Video recording" section... Can you tell me where I can find it?   

Away from my setup so can't tell you where to go in Setup Wizard, but in the pinballx.ini -

To use exact matching:

[FileSystem] EnableFileMatching=False 

To use "fuzzy matching":

[FileSystem]
EnableFileMatching=True

2 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Away from my setup so can't tell you where to go in Setup Wizard, but in the pinballx.ini -

To use exact matching:

[FileSystem] EnableFileMatching=False 

To use "fuzzy matching":

[FileSystem]
EnableFileMatching=True

I know this option... is the general settings of PinballX.  But you previously wrote "PinballX allows for either game name or filename of thr ROM". That's three options.  Fuzzy matching is not the same thing. 

I think you are misunderstanding the my explanation.

Your media can be named after the game name in the xml or the ROM name - that is two options. It is not a selectible option. It is hard coded in PinballX and it is selectible by how you name your media in the xml. 

You must also be aware of the file matching setting as it can cause undesired effects when enabled, such as loading similarly named media when game name is utilized (i.e. Black Knight vs. Black Knight 2000). 

The best control is naming the media the same as the ROM and not enabling File Matching.

Okay, I get it. But I have a lot of mods based on the same ROM so it's not an option. 
OK, I guess there is still manual renaming of recorded media or using PBX Recorder. 
It's not a big problem, but it would be nice if PinballX let you choose how to name the files. I will report this as a feature request.