All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

PinballX Enhancements/Features Requests

@Tom Speirs
Could it be added, that the systems 'Launch before' and the 'Launch After' scripts can be overruled per table ?
Not all the settings, but maybe just the Enabled option ?
I like to have a 1 system for VPX, but I have VPX systems, that needs a launch before and/or launch after scripts.
I now have different systems and can combine them via groups, but that doesn't show nicely in the systems menu.
If it could be that "Launch before" and "Launch After" can be overruled by the XML, so it can be set per table, that would make more sense.

Not sure If I'm the only for this, but I have tables that requires pup packs (and those need extra start and stop scripts), and also for P-roc tables (at this moment just 1 table, and bit of waste to use a complete system for it)

Thanks

• 1 month later...

As Visual Pinball is getting more exe files and can have more differrent settings per table, it would be a nice to have to set 'Alternative parameters' per table.

Vpx 10.8 has some big changes and a big change is that they go away from registry settings to an ini file for all the settings. A good change is that you can launch from command line a new option to use an ini file per table as well, so 'trouble' tables that needs just some other settings, can be launched with a custom ini file.

Same as using vr or using bam. 

An option to set ' alternative parameters' in the xml should help to use the new function.

by default the entry will overrule the global system parameters and when also used alternativeexe, it could launch an alternative exe with alternative parameters per table

I hope it is an easy to add in pbx

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The vpx Banzai Run table now has a pincabview loading alternative. It would be possible to add an alternate.exe to the Visual Pinball system to load this table. Today I have to create a system just for this table. Alternate loading would have to ignore a visual pinball.exe file.

19 hours ago, halen said:

The vpx Banzai Run table now has a pincabview loading alternative. It would be possible to add an alternate.exe to the Visual Pinball system to load this table. Today I have to create a system just for this table. Alternate loading would have to ignore a visual pinball.exe file.

Maybe I don't understand it correctly, but PinballX already has an alternate exe option.

See manual. There is a chapter 'Database files(xml)' and mentioned the alternateexe 

Mike,

The alternate function in Visual Pinball System is only to load  Visual Pinball.executables. (VPinballX, VPinball995,VPinball99_PhysMod5_Updated). And you tested this function with PincabView and it didn't work. This was discussed in the post "Banzai Run - PinCabViewVPX_Launcher.exe" and you replied:

But it doesn't launch the PincabViewer_launcher at all
Running the line from command line, it is working fine
So thik Alternate exe is not working fine for this

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Figured it was time to summarise a lot of this thread as features have been added/fixed in all the years it's been going and some things have been addressed elsewhere (via plugins etc).

So here is my abridged version of the most popular / commonly requested features in roughly descending order..

Sorting

•  Add sort option for wheel order (year, manufacturer, install date, emulator name in all tables view etc rather than just alphabetical)
  •  Attract mode order - Similar setting to control attract mode order rather than just random (add alphabetical, year, manufacturer options)

Table Navigation

Add a method to select a table quicker (rather than just navigate by flipper left right and magna save paging)

Mentioned suggestions;

1. Search feature when you press a letter/number it will goto the tables that start with the letter/number you press for keyboards
  2. Bring up a simple window with the alphabet and use flippers to scroll through list and select a letter and then jump to that part of lis

It would be nice to see the additional typing supported. i.e. typing A, T, T, A quickly would take you to Attack from Mars.

(note there is a plugin available that helps with this but i think(?) is more suitable for desktop users - https://forums.gameex.com/forums/topic/27744-plugin-search-game-plugin-for-pinballx-front-end/)

System Navigation

Can the "quit" button be used to first go back to the system wheel (when enabled) and only then when in system menu when pressing quit show the 'Exit' menu
    E.g.;
    If someone is playing a table, pressing the Exit Button should: 
    1) Exit the Table to the Tables Wheel
    2) Exit the Tables Wheel to the Systems Wheel
    3) Exit the Systems Wheel to the Operating System. 

Menu Items

Make menu lists scrollable (when user has too many active filters to display on screen etc)

Active Filters

Only show filters in the menu for the current system (or 'all' system filters), if system menu is enabled

Launch Parameters

Add custom launch parameters (table level) in database xml, to append to or replace normal system launch parameters on table launch.

Additional Detail Info

Possibility to make PinballX show the additional details area on the Backglass (or other screen)

VR

Make PinballX VR aware by using an standard VR output so that VR glasses can use PinballX as front end as well

Setup / Config

Game Manager and PinballX to preserve additional/custom xml fields when saving

Wheel

Option for the current selection's wheel art and information to disappear after a being idle for a specified time. Table info & wheel could re-appear on any button press (except Select to play)

Sorry if i missed a feature request or two out (it was a lot to go through). Hopefully i got all the main / popular ones and it's of use @Tom Speirs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 2/14/2023 at 2:28 PM, pindapoe said:

I find it more intuitive, most of the frontends around when you press escape if you are inside a system, it goes back to main menu and from main menu it really exits, I think it will be better that way, just a minor change.

Thanks

yeah, I found it so puzzling that PinballX didn't work like this... would be great to have this, 'coz I could actually use the "systems" menu - currently I just always have it in "all tables" mode.