All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

PinballX Enhancements/Features Requests

• 1 month later...

My suggestions (they have probably all been requested already):

- New button / keyboard key to scroll randomly in the current selected wheel (current list or group) and stop on a table.  

- Possibility to add / remove a table to / from a list (just like Favorites works).

- Possibility to rate tables directly in PinballX.

- I don't know if it's possible at all: display the instruction cards on top of the playfield when in gameplay instead of needing to pause the game, return in PinballX, select instructions (long shot).

Thanks !

A better game list manager is a MUST.  Get something like the Popper game manager.  I'm brand new to this hobby and I can't understand how people have put up with this terrible game manager.  I mean, you can't even use your mouse wheel to scroll down the list.  Holy crap.  What century was this made in?

4 minutes ago, stampedem said:

A better game list manager is a MUST.  Get something like the Popper game manager.  I'm brand new to this hobby and I can't understand how people have put up with this terrible game manager.  I mean, you can't even use your mouse wheel to scroll down the list.  Holy crap.  What century was this made in?

I'm listening but personally I found the Popper GUI far less intuitive and user friendly. It would nice to hear your views on what exactly you think could be improved. Mouse wheel, that should be easy to fix.

1 minute ago, Tom Speirs said:

I'm listening but personally I found the Popper GUI far less intuitive and user friendly. It would nice to hear your views on what exactly you think could be improved. Mouse wheel, that should be easy to fix.

The games list manager in Popper is much easier.  Single or mass add/remove from an active list.  Click on a game title and then configure it.  Instead of duplicating buttons for each game, you just have one set of buttons and simply select the game you want to configure.  The table view in Popper is way easier.  PinballX is one by one, stacked on top of each other, where you may see 5 or six at any single time.  Popper you can see dozen of tables in one screen.  This is all my opinion of course, but I'm truly surprised.  Thanks for listening Tom.

I prefer the PinballX GameManager.

You can also edit the databases by hand with the notepad, for certain things it is much faster.

In fact, I have never used the GameManager, while with PinUp there is no other option and after two months the only thing I have achieved is to run VPX tables.

PinballX I configured it to the first and in less than an hour I had it working with all the systems.

PinUp after two months watching videos and doing tests, has remained as a video player for tables that use PinUp.

8 hours ago, stampedem said:

The games list manager in Popper is much easier.  Single or mass add/remove from an active list.  Click on a game title and then configure it.  Instead of duplicating buttons for each game, you just have one set of buttons and simply select the game you want to configure.  The table view in Popper is way easier.  PinballX is one by one, stacked on top of each other, where you may see 5 or six at any single time.  Popper you can see dozen of tables in one screen.  This is all my opinion of course, but I'm truly surprised.  Thanks for listening Tom.

You have to understand the diferences between popper and PBX.   Tom has done a great job of keeping the software user friendly, a good looking front end that is easy to setup.   He's also done a great job of controlling certain functionalities to avoid bloat.  

Both have pros and cons.

PBX is for the folks that want a predefined front end that works.  

It's not fair to compare the two as the intent was to give users options for front ends not to compete.   

Bashing someones software that you are getting for free, and have not spent one second developing is not cool.  

Maybe offer code, offer valid suggestions without the bashing.

I use both and both have features the other does not have. So it's a users choice. I also have both running all emulators no issues

Popper is for users that want ultimate flexibility and there is a learning curve, database and SQL knowledge is required if you want to take advantage of all of the features.   

So if you want to spend more time playing and have a nice front end PBX is the way to go.  If you want to spent more time enhancing the bling around the emulators popper is an option. 

Be courteous to the devs without them we would have nothing...make a suggestion then make a choice based on your application.  No one is forcing you to use either or.

• Like 3

Yeah man these guys do this in their spare time for the community.  Regardless of how we feel we have to be respectful to their efforts, we've lost some great devs to other pieces of software in this hobby due to complaining and misuse of their gift.  Tom listens and makes changes that make sense for his software.  If he put everyone's changes in no way anyone could keep up with it all.  I can honestly say I've used every function in PBX , I cannot say the same about popper there is so much you can do with it, and half of it I probably won't use.  However you will spend more time in configuration and creating themes wheels and wheel bars making videos etc vs actually playing the tables.   Both are fun to do....some folks want an easy way to play all their tables some folks want to ability to build the front  end around the tables.  Options and evolution of the hobby is what we as users need to help preserve so it will continue to grow.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2016 at 3:30 PM, axilla said:

Ok, yep, we're on the same page then.  Sorry for the confusion :wacko:.  I would love to be able to set that for something less than 1 minute.  I didn't see anything in the Wiki about there being a reason that it couldn't be less than 1 minute.

+1 for shorter attract mode timer.

I play a game with friends where we must play against each other on whatever table comes up in attract mode. Would be fun to not have to wait 60 seconds.

17 hours ago, billhicks said:

+1 for shorter attract mode timer.

I play a game with friends where we must play against each other on whatever table comes up in attract mode. Would be fun to not have to wait 60 seconds.

I do the same with my friends, but we cycle to all tables without watching them and play the active one (when releasing the flipper button).  That was the reason for my suggestion for the "choose random table" button.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:08 PM, PcTeknic said:

+1 for shorter attract mode timer.

My table audio are 30 sec, I can select 30 sec in table view, but i can´t select 30 sec in attract mode timer

You can do this via editing PinballX.ini directly.

FEATURE REQUEST - Selectable wheel underlay orientations.

Regardless of whether desktop or pincab layout, we have the arched underlay and wheel activity. What I am proposing is allowing for additional layouts and corresponding actions to allow for horizontal wheels orientation (bottom and top of playfield) and vertical (left and right of playfield). This will allow for additional skinning of PinbaX for individuals customizations.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

FEATURE REQUEST - Selectable wheel underlay orientations.

Regardless of whether desktop or pincab layout, we have the arched underlay and wheel activity. What I am proposing is allowing for additional layouts and corresponding actions to allow for horizontal wheels orientation (bottom and top of playfield) and vertical (left and right of playfield). This will allow for additional skinning of PinbaX for individuals customizations.

Whatever would make you want this all of a sudden...  ;)

Timer=0.20 don´t work PinballX wait 1min

Timer=0,20 don´t work PinballX wait 1min

Timer=No don´t work PinballX wait 1min

Timer=0 work PinballX wait the time user define in show for, but impossible exit from PinballX, exit menu show and hidde at exit button press.

10 hours ago, TerryRed said:

Whatever would make you want this all of a sudden...  ;)

I think it may actually have been asked for many moons ago when PinballX was a young whippersnapper, or something similar. The PinUp Popper use of the feature is a good demo of how it would function in PinballX. :win:

1 hour ago, PcTeknic said:

Timer=0.20 don´t work PinballX wait 1min

Timer=0,20 don´t work PinballX wait 1min

Timer=No don´t work PinballX wait 1min

Timer=0 work PinballX wait the time user define in show for, but impossible exit from PinballX, exit menu show and hidde at exit button press.

Shouldn't troubleshooting the feature be done in the PinballX General Forum. Your post isn't the only one, but it is detracting from the purpose of this thread.

For the very first time I used the PBX video capture to create some table videos and backglass videos using the latest VPX beta. This is such a cool feature and very useful :)

I would like to make a suggestion to allow the user to specify a delay before recording in the setup wizard. Something like 10 seconds would be great.

pbx.thumb.jpg.dd3135dc4a772e2d5e13b3dd2aa421ed.jpg

The problem I'm having with a few tables are the Visual Pinball software when it prepares the table for initializing and rendering, on these 4K tables PBX starts recording before this process has finished.

Being able to set a recording delay would solve this issue. Thank You Tom for consideration :)

• Like 1

Hi all,

First post. Apologies in advance if there is an existing solution....and a free beer from the virtual fridge for anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Have set up a PBX system with a bunch of tables for various systems, added media, etc.

All good, including custom databases....but....

What I'd like is the ability to use standard xml structure commands in the custom lists.

This request is primarily due to the limited number of possible filter category lists.

Example:

<menu>
    <item>Main menu
        <menu>
            <item>Sub-Menu
                <menu>
                    <item>Sub-Sub-Menu</item>
                </menu>
            </item>
        </menu>
    </item>
</menu>

In use:

Alphabetical: Pointing to suitable xml files (FP, VP, PBFX2 - A, B, C, D etc.)

I know I can do (and have done) this already with custom lists, but what's missing is the ability to create cascading menus in the custom lists.

This would allow a user to select, say Visual Pinball in the filter list, then click the assigned OK button to open a submenu - sorted alphabetically, by manufacturer or whatever. Navigation through the A - Z, manufacturer, year, type etc. submenu would be with the flipper buttons. OK to select a submenu category. Usual ESC key to exit up the hierarchy.

An alternative - and possibly simpler/faster to implement option that would serve the purpose to a degree - is a scrollable list in PBX that allows for as many filter category lists as the user wants.

That said, the Filter/Favourite lists are hierarchical (at the top-level, at least), so should be relatively easy to implement?

• Like 1