All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Low Quality Backglass Videos during Attractmode

arcadezz

Hello, I have a 3 screen setup and during PinballX attractmode it seems to lower *only* the quality of the backglass videos I have captured. After I load the table it loads the .b2s version and its vibrant and clear for the backglass. At first I thought it was the video capture, so I tried opening the video for the backglass and dragging it to the backglass monitor and it looks vibrant(no issues). During attractmode both the DMD and playfield quality are fine.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

As Draco1962 suggests please attach the ini and log files.

Check you have installed LAV filters  (follow link on https://www.pinballx.com/) and confirm format of backglass videos (mps or f4v etc), are they the same format  as the playfield videos, what tool created them, when you say lower quality do you mean less contrast / brightness or lower resolution, and what is the native resolution for the backglass?

Thanks

Hi All, I did not have Lava filters installed and installed them into C:\Program Files (x86)\LAV Filters\x86 - the same issue persists.

I have attached my log.txt, PinballX.ini and 2 pictures:

When I load the table in PinballX and the B2S takes over it looks perfect.

Thanks for any help!! I have been trying to figure this out for a long time......

PinballX_washed_out.JPG - this is a picture of PinballX loaded, when I cycle through all the tables backglass is washed out looking.

PinballX_Washed_out.thumb.jpg.81ea1b522a4fc1cf2c17a4e47fe6b027.jpg

Video Playing JPG - This is a picture of me just playing the FLV file and dragging it to the backglass monitor - it dispalys correctly in color representation.

1664892320_VideoPlaying.thumb.jpg.5299f91b84655d704badcaf1613e831e.jpg

23 hours ago, scutters said:

Try this;

NVIDIA Control Panel -> Video -> Adjust video color settings -> Select Backglass Display -> Select "With the NVIDIA settings" -> Advanced tab -> Dynamic Range "Full (0-255)" 

Hi, tried this and still no change :(, thanks for the suggestion.

I did notice I have K-Lite codec pack installed (which does have the LAV filters, assume thats not he issue)

Still stumped.

17 hours ago, scutters said:

Ok..

Next up, set LAV as shown in this post

https://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/20816-pinballx-267-black-screen-resolved/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-178455

Not sure on K-Lite impact (if any). What player is it that shows the video on backglass ok?

I setup LAV as per the screenshot and no change.

The video player it displays correctly is MPC-HC, its the video player that came with the K-Lite pack.

I also tried uninstalling per Draco1962's suggestion. I uninstalled the K-Lite pack, rebooted, installed only LAV, rebooted, configured per the screenshot and still same issue.

Do you know which video player PinballX uses for the videos? Maybe I can try running it on its own or there is settings for video scale up/down?

I'm light on ideas now... hopefully someone with more knowledge of LAV/CODEC settings will chip in.

One other nvidia setting to check in nvidia control panel is what is showing for the backglass under Adjust Desktop Color Settings, Application controlled or Nvidia for how colour is set?, try toggling that along with Digital Color Format drop down values (if available)

If they make no difference my suggestion for a workaround would be to use backglass images instead of videos, i guess they won't have the issue - but'd depend if you're happy with that.

Out of interest is windows media player washed out too on backglass?

Maybe stupid question, but are the videos played correctly with media player ? 

I had the a simular issue with my playfield.

This was caussed by my Nvidia driver that set a filter on the videos, but looks much brighter. 

Not sure how I fix this,  but I played around with the nvidia settings and worked again 

Have you tried an .mp4 video instead of .flv? Also, do you have a mix of .mp4, .flv, .wmv, etc. ?

I have witnessed where others were able to remedy some video display issues by switching to .mp4 and/or changing all video media to the same format.

I have it set to Nvidia controlled....everything appears correctly on the backglass (games, videos, pictures, etc) except when in PinballX.

Yes, the windows player displays correcly.

I have tried the .mp4 versions.....same issue.

Are the videos recorded on your machine or downloaded media, and what is their native resolution (your backglass would appear to be HD 1080*1920 from the ini) ?

Also, when you tried different formats did you remove the older format file first  (i.e. if you copied the files directly you could have the same filename with two different format extensions in the media\..\backglass videos\ folder in which case i don't know which pinballx would pick up)?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pcx1 said:

i found this topic cause i have the same issue, the playfield during attract mode is darker, did u got urs resolved?

Attach copies of your pinballx.ini and log.txt files, please.

9 hours ago, pcx1 said:

i found this topic cause i have the same issue, the playfield during attract mode is darker, did u got urs resolved?

Try tweaking settings.exe->display settings->playfield brightness

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 2:50 AM, scutters said:

Try tweaking settings.exe->display settings->playfield brightness

I tried changing the playfield brightness, it does make the playfield brighter/darker but the backglass washed out problem still persists.

14 hours ago, arcadezz said:

I tried changing the playfield brightness, it does make the playfield brighter/darker but the backglass washed out problem still persists.

Ok, but..

Are the videos recorded on your machine or downloaded media, and what is their native resolution (your backglass would appear to be HD 1080*1920 from the ini) ?

Also, when you tried different formats did you remove the older format file first  (i.e. if you copied the files directly you could have the same filename with two different format extensions in the media\..\backglass videos\ folder in which case i don't know which pinballx would pick up)?

Post one of your videos and i'll try it

Make sure you update to pinballx v3.42 too.

Edit - Afterthought, but please also try swapping a backglass and a playfield video over in pinballx\nadia\systemname\table videos & backglass videos. Does the backglass video work ok as a playfield video resolution wise, but the playfield video now look washed out on the backglass? 

Just wanted to say as far as the code goes I can see absolutely zero reason how this could happen. Attract mode basically does nothing different when displaying a title in PinballX. So if the title is fine outside of attract but different in attract mode I have no idea unless it is in fact a different title being displayed. Is that possible?

Thanks for all the help guys.

I figured it out, but not sure how to fix it. In my Nvidia panel, I choose "Adjust Desktop Color Settings". Under Option 2, "Choose how color is set", I choose "Use NVIDIA settings", then I have my custom values for each setting such as Brightness, Contrast, Gamma, etc. The backglass monitor displays images using my custom color settings fine except when PinballX is loaded during attract mode. Once a table is launched, the backglass monitor displays the custom color settings correctly.  I tried running a bunch of other apps and they all show the custom color settings correctly. I tried turning off Option 2, "Choose how color is set" and switching to "Other applications control color settings". The backglass during Pinballx attract mode shows the same color representation now as when the table is loaded - I just don't like how the color looks and prefer to use the NVIDIA settings as the color pops much more.

I also updated to 3.43, the resolution of the video and the monitor  is HD 1080x1920 and I recorded all the videos myself using the PBXRecorder. I also tried switching a table video with the backglass video and same issue.