All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Ultraman on Netflix

Draco1962

Yeah, but the Star Wars arcade game was the inspiration for a retro gaming setup.  I always knew if I built something it was an absolute must to have the yoke controller.

Plus, there's not a great deal of original Ultraman bling out there to piece together a monstrosity like mine.   The original and manga are cool, but I couldn't get into the others.

I feel like I missed something huge here.  You guys talk like Ultraman is BIG deal, but I never even heard of him/it (franchise) till this post.  So, I loaded up Netflix and watched the first episode.  Looks interesting.  I'm not a big fan of the CGI animation made to look like anime.  But I"ll give it a chance, added it my watch list.  I then hopped over to Amazon Prime to see if they had anything available.  They've got some live action shows from the 70's.  Is that what you guys are reminiscing about?  Looks pretty cheezy to me, definitely not going to pay to watch it.  Seems like this Netflix series is a sequel of some sort though.  Anything I should watch before going forward with the show, or does the intro pretty much sum it up?  You know, an alien being comes and wreaks havok, another alien being comes and inhabits the body of a human to default the bad guy then leaves but the human host has no memory of the experience.  Is that about it?

The live action was the shiznit when we were growing up in the 60s and 70s!

You don't "have" to watch them, but I'd suggest checking some of the other streaming services to watch them.B)

Ultraman ran from 66 to 67 in Japan and sometimes afterward here in the states. 

I wasn't even born yet when it came on, and yes it's cheesy as hell.

When I watched in on WDRB channel 43, I was probably 6 or 7 and in the early 70's we didn't have really great special effects (if you didn't know ;)) so this show was freakin awesome at my age!   These shows, along with Godzilla, Mothra, etc., pioneered the kaiju storylines.

I've got the series, all one-ish seasons of it, of DVD or Blu-ray, but never bought into the newer spinoffs that are still popular in Japan.  It's the nostalgia of the original that is the draw for me.

The Ultraman manga is a sequel to the original, so don't expect some earthshattering modern Sci-Fi, just a new twist on an old story!

We hadn't been ruined back in these days with all the CGI you see now.  Old Sinbad movies were also among my favorites, and it was these movies that led us to classics like Clash of the Titans and arguably the crowning achievement of the technology in The Empire Strikes Back before stop motion animation was replaced by computers.

Where you have Godzilla as the progenitor of almost all Kaiju flicks, Ultraman is the great-grandfather of all things Power Rangers, Gundam, you name it. Yeah, they are cheesy and some of the stories are just there for the sake of making something eat an unhealthy dose of specium ray, but I remember pretending my sisters were a kaiju that needed to eat a karate chop and specium ray combo platter for getting into my stuff!