All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

New take on "Animated Backglasses"...

I have started creating some new backglasses for some of the tables on my cabinet (3 monitor) that go far beyond twinkling lights. Most of these are created/animated from the original artists offerings whose talents and work I highly respect and hope they would like my animated interpretations of their still graphic work. Some will be completely new creations while most will be re-creations from the original artwork. Purists might not approve or like what I am doing, and that's ok, I feel ya. Just know what I do with their art is a huge message that what they created was awesome and I will try to do my enhancements to hold true to the original concept... just in motion.

Please note that these are all work-in-progress with some far more along than others.

These are all 1920x1080, no audio, and when finished, will be :30sec long and loop seamlessly. I will also create a new static image from the finished animations to use as a static backglass for those softwares that cannot use video assets "in-game" like Pinball FX3. For those setups, these animations are still very useable in the front end and work awesome as "attract mode visuals" while on the front end selector.

Always welcome feedback either way and cool ideas/suggestions. 

Here's an example for a KISS backglass I'm tinkering with as well for when I can finally find and install a 2015 Stern KISS table for my cabinet. cough cough help cough cough...

This one is what really started my craze for animating my cabs backglasses. This piece I created from scratch from a single pic of the band and was used for marketing their 2019 show here in K.C.  

What's seen here now is a quick cut up to remove the other elements (dates, times, location) for the purpose of what it will look like. (the "explosion to the screen" will be gone for sure.) 

- Timing of all the other elements will be altered.

- More pyros bursts... and always... more cowbell.

Loads more to do here.

- Both UFO's will be animated. The UFO that is animated now will change as the light pattern for both will look like the lights are rotating instead of flashing as they are now.

- Aliens will have full limb articulation and motion.

- Current explosions are place keepers for now.

- More motion to come for the surrounding city/scene including a passing elevated train.

This is just a working concept at the moment.

- When completed, this will look like the Dino is "walking" with the logo rattling with each step and the camera view floating with each step as well.

- More lava and debris to come.

- This scene actually might change to be used for Jurassic Park Pinball Mayhem while I create a version more true to the night scene view from the mouth as the original artwork depicted.

- Maybe some circling Teradac... flying lizards.

BTTF is pretty much final. That could change in 2055 though.

Here's a sneak peek of a work-in-progress for my Champion Pub animated backglass.

- This is one of my favs! Both the game itself and the fun time animating everything.

- Almost done. Lots goin on in there for sure Kid!

- Final version... oooooouch

- Very early work-in-progress, maybe 20% complete.
- All fire
elementsare just place holders at the moment.
- Allcharacter movements are just testing purposes only... as is just about everything at this point! 
- Lots of work yet to be done on the castle and characters in the scene.
-
King, and Dragon will have full body/appendage articulation. (which is fun just playing around with the appendage controls!!)
- Enjoy the sneak peek!
s a fun one! 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, scutters said:

They look awesome!

Finished item will be just mp4's (or other video format) then, rather than interactive B2S file as used in visual pinball?.

If you use visual pinball Kiss here https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/kiss-stern-2105tribute/

Thanx Scutters. Yes, the final files will be .mp4s, but could be rendered out to other file formats. No B2S interactivity as I don't have a clue what's involved with all that. I'm a noooob! 

Thank you for the link. I have come across that offering before, but I am more a video producer than a computer programmer and I am reluctant to risk jackin' up my VPcab trying to do something I'm not familiar with.  I know, I know... some around here just cringed when I said VPcab. No, I didn't build my cabinet. If I had the knowledge, experience, time, and tools to do so... I still probably wouldn't build my own because at the end of the day, I want to play pinball... not stare at an expensive brick. Did I mention I'm a noob? Seriously though, I have the greatest respect for those here that do/did build their cabs as well as all those who have spent countless hours creating the tables. I just know my limits and capabilities. But what I lack in hours of paying my dues through trial and error... I'm putting towards these backglasses instead so please all... please cut me some slack. :cheers: 

I just love to play pinball. A lot. 

SO, if someone here wants to make a new buddy with a phone call to walk me through not brickin my cab...  you will get some cool stuff in return for sure with the earliest access to all the goodies I'm creating for us! In addition to the Stern KISS, would love to add Ghostbusters as well. GB backglass would be a blast to animate too! Imagine Slimmer floating by, leaving green ooze slowly dripping down your backglass! So many possibilities with that one! 

Also, for the record, I do plan on doing animated backglasses for both the original KISS and the 2015 Stern KISS that animates the original graphics. Unlike my custom KISS scene above, and more like my Medieval Madness or Champion Pub. Those will be fun ones to animate as they both have plenty of fire elements for me to play with.! Fire. Boom. Happy. 

13 hours ago, ImagineVP said:

some around here just cringed when I said VPcab. No, I didn't build my cabinet.

SO, if someone here wants to make a new buddy with a phone call to walk me through not brickin my cab... 

No Cringe here.. not everyone has time, skills, space, tools etc to build a cab! :)

Not sure what's loaded on VPcabs (just FX3 i assume)  or how locked down they are. You might be best trying them first for support (again, not sure on warranties etc), hopefully they'll help you out and show you how to load up other software to get you going. Post back if not.

Software is already loaded, PinballX, Visual Pinball, VP10,  PhysMod5, Pinball Arcade, Future Pinball as well as Pinball FX2 via steam. When I first got my cab a few years ago, I had a friend who helped load a bunch of tables, but that was a whirlwind experience that I don’t remember now how it all goes exactly and unfortunately, my friend is no longer here. I’ve gone in and done some things myself with the front end, PFX3 upgrades, and know how to use the game manager. I just need a little guidance to make sure all the downloaded files get in the right places. VPcabs don’t do that as they just load PFX2 and the various softwares I listed above.

46 minutes ago, scutters said:

I'll send you a PM.. going a bit off topic for pinballx!

Sorry and I don't mean to cross any lines or offend anyone here, especially PinballX and those who program for it or with it.  I know how loyal people can be and that's understandable as much as it is awesome. I'm a fan of all those who create, I'm just trying to create in the ways I am able to and contribute for the love of pinball.

20 hours ago, ImagineVP said:

Does anyone know why my 1st post has white behind all the text instead of white text on the dark grey background like all the other posts/replies?

did you copy paste the text from some other site ? As that usually happens when i do that. The trick to get around it is to paste the text into notepad first and copy from notepad again before pasting here on forums. For smaller sentences i just paste in address bar of chrome first and then copy again from there. I also noticed that once i have a text starting with the white background it's hard to get it removed unless cutting away the text. Try editing the post and copy the text to notepad then remove the text (completelty) and copy paste it back from notepad

On 4/10/2019 at 8:36 AM, ImagineVP said:

Software is already loaded, PinballX, Visual Pinball, VP10,  PhysMod5, Pinball Arcade, Future Pinball as well as Pinball FX2 via steam. When I first got my cab a few years ago, I had a friend who helped load a bunch of tables, but that was a whirlwind experience that I don’t remember now how it all goes exactly and unfortunately, my friend is no longer here. I’ve gone in and done some things myself with the front end, PFX3 upgrades, and know how to use the game manager. I just need a little guidance to make sure all the downloaded files get in the right places. VPcabs don’t do that as they just load PFX2 and the various softwares I listed above.

Clarification... my cab came with Pinball FX2 preloaded with fx2 games, the front-end, and game manager softwares too. My friend put on the others with tables for each.

4 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

I "prettied it up" a little. B)

Thanks Draco. Yes, please help me in getting around in here until I get the flow of things. Don't want to offend anyone... too much at least :cheers: Speaking of Dragons... rendering another test render of Medieval Madness as we speak. Starting to get the dragons' wand involved... 

• Like 1

Here's a little bit more work on Medieval Madness.

Dragon has a few things more going on:

-The obvious wand coming to life.

-3 distinctive poses with secondary actions... fire, wand, and... some things I will wait to reveal later.

-His other appendages start to do more.

-Subtleties like the neck pushing forward to breathe fire and retracts as he's shooting flames.

-The fire isn't without purpose. Play on words for both MAD, which he is, and NESS, a nod to Lochness Monster Nessi. (I read too much into shit)

-Chest fills with inhaling and exhale.

-Wings spread and hold for fire breathing, flaps in between.

-Everything loops... except for big fires as they are still just place holders.

Still a TON of work to be done on this which will take me some time to complete with everything I want to do with this one. SO MUCH going on in there!  Also note, this was a lower res render again for testing purposes. 

Now, I'm posting this update twofold,

1) because I like sharing my progress on cool lengthy projects.

more so

2) I'm going into my busy season and will not be able to do much more work on all these like I have the last couple weeks. Yes, all the above were created in really about a weeks time when I had a lot of downtime.  I'll be back at it when I can, as I can, chipping away. \m/

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to come together. still a lot of work to do.
Added:
- Trolls w/ blinking eyes, basic jittery movement, blowin smoke and shakin the spear
- Dragon's fire breath revealing castle tower damage
- Knight hanging on the Dragon's tail being all stabby
- Wizard casting spells
- Kings sword ignites when touching the flame in the logo
- Castle gate opens/closes
- Fixed some clipping issues with the Dragons belly when taking a deep breath and some wing issues
- and added a scrolling night sky with a moon.... for a cow to eventually jump over

and still maybe 50% complete! =)x  

much much MUCH more to come! Back to making money to pay the bills for now... will update this baby again when I can.

Edited by ImagineVP

just 1 word...... AWESOME .... they really take the back glass to another level and i love them and look forward to many many more :cheers:

• Thanks 1

It has come to my attention that what I am doing here, by animating these backglasses, I am opening myself up to possible copyright and intellectual properties infringement... if I were to share these for download. While I may do this for my personal machine, once I share them, I would be disassembling and distributing a copy-protected piece of work.

While I haven't received a cease and desist notification, I am now wondering if my hobby could harm me. Not sure what to do. Ideas? Comments? Any history that addresses this issue here?

I obviously am not attempting to resell these in any manner, so I would think there is no harm to the license holder or original artist... but I'm not an attorney.

I have seen it questioned before and while it is certainly a grey area for our hobby overall, whether recreating a table or artwork, unless approached directly by the author of the original work, I would not be concerned. 

Most are looking for a person making a profit. Don't see that happening here.

3 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

I have seen it questioned before and while it is certainly a grey area for our hobby overall, whether recreating a table or artwork, unless approached directly by the author of the original work, I would not be concerned. 

Most are looking for a person making a profit. Don't see that happening here.

I think the issue here would be that I would be altering a piece of copyrighted work and then redistributing it without permission. Now since I am not profiting from it, no financial harm would be done to the license holder... but still. I'm sure an intellectual properties attorney would have an easy case and figure out some ridiculous amount of damages for their client by me doing so. I do think I would be safe doing what I'm currently doing by sharing my progress of work that I'm doing for MY machine. That would be simply a fan altering their own copy for their own private use. It's the uploading of the piece, specifically for others to freely download, is where it could get tricky. I would think that at the moment I would be ok since I am sharing my personal work "to view" via YouTube which doesn't allow for the download of the video, just sharing of the URL to view. Also, this is different than those sharing files from across the web of the original artwork(s) or animated versions of it that simply have lights flashing replicating the original artwork in use on a physical pinball machine. By doing that, you're just simulating what the original artwork looks like in its intended physical use. I'm not doing that at all, hence the disassemble aspect. Of course, this all predicates on the original property owner and their feelings on what I'm doing with their artwork.