All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Colecovision: A Retrospective Review

tthurman

We never had the doh for Coleco. My dad bought the Atari 2600 and that's what we had until the SEGA Genesis. I remember going to the goodwill (for clothes) and I would con my mom into getting a couple Atari 2600 games they had in bins, that's how we were able to afford them...lol. Man we were poor.

I begged my mom for $20 so I could buy a friends GameBoy he was selling. Original version, with the clear case, and about 10 games. I still have it in perfect working condition. When you grow up not being able to afford much, you learn to take care of what you have. The NES was also goodwill find.

It wasn't until the N64/PS1 that I was able to get newer systems and more than one or two new games for it. So, while I have fond memories of cherishing a handful of A2600, NES, GameBoy and Genesis games, my real dive into gaming started with the N64 and PS1. I only started playing SNES games as an adult, well after playing the N64 port. I'm starting to get a real taste for that generation (16-bit) of gaming, even though it mostly passed me by.

Honestly, I have such a backlog of great games I've never played that I barely play my PS4 - the occasional Skyrim binge is about it.

"I don't always play games, but when I do, I play retro."

I never had any of those.

In 1975 dad brought home the MoneverdiTV Sports system.  We played it to death, but it was the only gaming thing my dad ever purchased.  The next closest thing was the RadioShack CoCo, for which I found many cool games!

TV Sports.jpg

My neighbors had all sorts of cool systems, and the ColecoVision was no exception, complete with every attachment.  This was one hell of a gaming system that we wore the buttons off of.  I will always have fond memories of it!