All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Backglass images not showing up

Trantor

Hi everyone,

I can't seem to get backglass images to appear in PinballX.  Playfield and wheel images work fine.  I have DirectB2S turned off in settings.
All I get is a normal blank screen on display 2.  But when I alt-tab I can see that PinballX Back Glass is a running program.  When I start  table it runs normally but I do see that Backglass is showing a small fraction of the image on Display 1.

Any help setting the settings of this routine, would be much appreciated.

PinballX.ini log.txt [SETTINGS].log

Others have reported some issues with backglass display. Please download and install the latest version. Report back with your results and updated pinballx.ini and log.txt files attached if the issue persists after upgrade. Thanks!

I changed the settings as Outhere suggested and still getting the same results.  but now I do see the backglass image for a split second when exiting out of PX (its apparently located right behind the playfield).

display settings.png

I see you have enabled both video cards on your system. Are both used ? Is it a way to test it by disabling your internal glu and put your backglas monitor on your nvidia, just to rule out the issue?

1 hour ago, Outhere said:

Did you try different display number for the backglass In pinballx

Yes.  On Display 1 and Display2 I get the backglass behind the PF effect when exiting PX.  On Displays 3-5 I don't.

36 minutes ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

I see you have enabled both video cards on your system. Are both used ? Is it a way to test it by disabling your internal glu and put your backglas monitor on your nvidia, just to rule out the issue?

I am using both video cards.  The backglass is running through the onboard videochip and works fine in VP.   Do you mean switching monitors? 

45 minutes ago, Trantor said:

Yes.  On Display 1 and Display2 I get the backglass behind the PF effect when exiting PX.  On Displays 3-5 I don't.

I am using both video cards.  The backglass is running through the onboard videochip and works fine in VP.   Do you mean switching monitors? 

Does the nvidia not have 2 outputs ?

Playfield must be on the nvidia becsuse that is the powerfull gpu

On 4/1/2019 at 4:39 PM, Outhere said:
On 4/1/2019 at 5:52 PM, Mike_da_Spike said:
On 4/1/2019 at 7:33 PM, Outhere said:

Try both displays on the video card

I plugged both monitors into the nvidia card and sure enough it works (granted, it flipped the monitors, but that's not an issue.

Sadly the nvidia drops frames when running both screens.  I'd hate to give up the backglass being punted off to the onboard card if I can avoid it. 

two screens one card.png

10 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

Could you please elaborate on dropped frames? Its normally hard to tell on the backglass. It does not animate much.

I didn’t notice dropped frames on the back glass but did notice them on the Playfield.  When I moved to the two chipset solution, I got a much smoother game experience, especially on vpx tables.

10 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

Sorry, I see.

Was it working for you with an earlier version?

Also, in windows do you have the option set to extend desktop to the display?

Thanks.

I just started using PX about  month ago, as I just started working on a cab solution (didn't bother with a frontend for my desktop gaming)

I do have the extend display option on, so it behaves like one extended desktop across both screens.

8 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

Please try the attached replacement exe and let me know how it works out.

Thanks.

Tom.

PinballXx86.zip 972.06 kB · 0 downloads PinballXx64.zip 975.4 kB · 0 downloads

I tried the Pinballx64.zip exe file and I got the same result.  The backglass image is being processed but behind the menu system and not on the second display.

12 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

I had an idea.

In the setup wizard where you set the backglass position try setting the x position to 1920 or similar.

I tried this early on and did so again this morning.  No luck.  The backglass image does seem to be processing the image in 1024x768 but then filling the rest of the screen with black, so even if I try to move it only say 150 or 300 pixels on the x axes it registers no change.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, 

I had to take a break from my cab build due to real life.

Physically its built, I tested it and it ran fine, but then I made the mistake of switching to an SSD and installing the lastest version of PinbllX.

Now I can't get it to run in fullscreen mode and my old problem of the backglass showing up on the same screen has returned.  

Any help is appreciated.

Untitled.png

PinballX.ini [SETTINGS].log log.txt

Your pinballx.ini file looks corrupt to me, the [display] section is incomplete.

Copy it off somewhere and then replace it with an old one (use one from earlier post in this thread if you don't have a backup). You'll then need to check everything looks ok in Settings.exe (pay special attention to [JoyCodes] as that section is different between last and current ini files as well as Other Systems, might be other difference too.

Also re-check outhere's tips in 4th post https://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/22166-backglass-images-not-showing-up/?do=findComment&comment=186321 after.

Hope that helps..