All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

FX3 tables, game ends and pinballx

jdsabin1

I think I know the answer already but when playing an fx3 pinball game on the cabinet and the game ends, it sends me to some stupid 'arcade console-esque' screen versus heading back to attract mode and so starting a new game is a royal pita and ruins the cabinet feel. Is there a way to fix this at all or is it inherent in the game itself? 

*** (not to mention you cannot turn the cinematic views off so you have to deal with the camera zooming in on the plunger and shot every single time which is utterly stupid in a cabinet). 

I've shelved all the fx3 games in a virtual cabinet. It's just doesn't make for a good vr pinball experience in the slightest. 

What you are describing is in the game itself.

I have not delved into the FX3 Williams games as of yet, but I believe there is a command line switch for loading them in "classic" mode that should load them with more of the standard look and physics.

Of course, the switch may not have any impact on the FX2 forward ports or non-Williams content.

That's what I assumed. It's too bad - some of the tables are fun to play in a cabinet but the dev's have not spent much time on making these games include functionality that belong in a cabinet.

No true attract mode in most tables, high score nonsense, cinematic views where the plunger is zoomed in is dumb in a cabinet, no way to configure views per table (because the bulk of their views aren't conducive to a real pinball machine inside a cabinet, etc).  

I am sure that's not where their money is made either as far as that goes. Maybe someday. 

Thanks for your reply. 

Given that they started as ports of Pinball FX from the Xbox 360, they hold up pretty well IMO. 

From a purist perspective, I can understand where they do not fit into the standard vpin mold due to the animations and physics.

I am appreciative of the fact that Zen Studios has provided some pincab customizations to support our niche hobby, whereas others, such as The Pinball Arcade with its vast Williams and Stern tables, dangled that carrot in front of us for years with no intent of honoring their promise.

• Like 1

I totaly agree with @Draco1962

if I turn off all the fancy stuff in fx3 and run the new tables in classic mode, it runs nice in my cab. After a table is finished I can replay the table with my launch button or exit to pinballx ahsin and select another table.

And camera views on table in portrait mode is also good. With the doflinx extension and the directb2s backglasses, it makes all complete

1 hour ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

I totaly agree with @Draco1962

if I turn off all the fancy stuff in fx3 and run the new tables in classic mode, it runs nice in my cab. After a table is finished I can replay the table with my launch button or exit to pinballx ahsin and select another table.

And camera views on table in portrait mode is also good. With the doflinx extension and the directb2s backglasses, it makes all complete

I Will 2nd that.

I take another route to this....FX3 is a video game.  We have VP for realistic-pinball'n.  I play FX3 as a video game and treat all aspects as such.  I leave all that wacky bullshit on and even play in the tournaments and match-ups with it on because...it's a video game.  If I want to to back to Party Zone where my man isn't zooming around on his rocket, or the scores aren't popping up in my face I just fire up VP.  I absolutely think FX3 has a place on the cab, especially if you have children.  

2 hours ago, BrandonLaw said:

I absolutely think FX3 has a place on the cab, especially if you have children.  

I am not a child, well, maybe a man-child in my wife's eyes. I agree and second your approach. 

• Haha 1

I love VPX, but , sorry, it ain't real pinball. If you are coming into these forums as a pinball purist, you might as well turn around now and just go get a real pinball. I say this not as a collector myself. I only have the virtual cab, and I enjoy it, a lot, for what it is. All of it VPX, FP, FX3, etc. I would not hold up any of them as replacements for the real thing. Trashing FX3 because it isn't VPX is just silly.

On 3/28/2019 at 11:58 AM, Carny_Priest said:

I love VPX, but , sorry, it ain't real pinball. If you are coming into these forums as a pinball purist, you might as well turn around now and just go get a real pinball. I say this not as a collector myself. I only have the virtual cab, and I enjoy it, a lot, for what it is. All of it VPX, FP, FX3, etc. I would not hold up any of them as replacements for the real thing. Trashing FX3 because it isn't VPX is just silly.

Oddly, I didn't get 'into' pinball until I mastered a pincab.  I play VPX and FX3 and clearly know their differences.  This has led me into the real world of pinball and I have to say...really no comparison.  This THEN led me into purchasing my first pincab and doing a restore. Enjoying all facets! 

• Like 1