All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

In the browsing menu, can I have "ambiance" and "table audio" sounds at the same time?

wrd1972

I want to have the music from Total Nuclear Annihilation playing as the ambient background music when in the table browsing menu. AND I also want the "table audio" sound file to play for each table when its rotated to, when you browse through all of the tables.

So I have created a very small audio file for each table, that simply says the tables title. I have this sexy female voice that says "attack from Mars", when you rotate to the AFM table. And a similar file for all of the other tables. Of course I want these table titles to play on top of the ambient TNA music which plays for the duration, that the browsing menu is active. Hope that makes sense.

I guess this means, that two sound files would be playing at the same time. Can PBX do this? Or is there an alternate or "hack" way that I can do this. This would make for a pretty awesome presenation of the selection of tables, in PBX.

Thanks

Not sure if this will work or not, but worth a try - it works with GameEx as I noted in the solution, you are sending to a separate output device (soundboard on the PC and external speaker jack on PC):

Hacky method..

Load on a media player of choice (that can launch minimized, autoplay on start and has configurable shortcut keys, and is pretty lightweight- i guess most can/are) set that to start with windows (or launch with pinballx start up), then either kill it or ideally pause with sendkeys or whatever with table launch before script and then restart / unpause the player with a launch after script on table exit

Configure media player to point at your TNA playlist and it'll play that, pinballx would handle table audio on selection. Not tried it but i'm 99% it would work, i have GOM audio on my cab that i launch with some tables to play random music where i have removed removed the table's own music (but left callouts etc) and that setup works for me there with the two audio sources.

• Like 1

@wrd1972 mine does it with out any hacks. Says title of table while playing music from the table.

3 minutes ago, simbamame said:

@wrd1972 mine does it with out any hacks. Says title of table while playing music from the table.

But does it play music in the background throughout gameplay and back to the menu and back to gameplay again? I believe that is what he is looking for.

7 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

But does it play music in the background throughout gameplay and back to the menu and back to gameplay again? I believe that is what he is looking for.

i have different music that goes with the table ( for example knight rider players the night rider theme ) which continues to play if go to the menu and chances when i scroll to the next table so i guess so. TBH would it be a bit messy having ambient sound and table sound together ?

Not any messier than with GameEx playing games leveraging the ambient sound files. 

The true goal with ambient sounds and/or music should be to fill in the empty background noise without detracting from game sound itself.

The beauty in the hack I posted is that I can have the sounds playing from a separate set of PC speakers elsewhere in the room whilst the arcade games are playing their sounds via the soundbar mounted in front of me under the TV.

21 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Not any messier than with GameEx playing games leveraging the ambient sound files. 

The true goal with ambient sounds and/or music should be to fill in the empty background noise without detracting from game sound itself.

The beauty in the hack I posted is that I can have the sounds playing from a separate set of PC speakers elsewhere in the room whilst the arcade games are playing their sounds via the soundbar mounted in front of me under the TV.

ah yeah that would be a good idea.

On 3/20/2019 at 7:25 PM, Tom Speirs said:

There are the launch on start and exit features which could very easily launch an external media player.

Otherwise it is possible for me to make PinballX work this way and I will consider it a feature request,.

PS: Or just turn on the stereo. lol.

Tom,

Man that would be awesome if you could do that. Cant thank you enough. :)

So please allow me to expand a bit on what I really am after.

• The "ambient" sound would play fro the duration, that PBX is active and showing the tables browsing menu. This Ambient sound would loop.
  • The "table audio" would play along with the "ambient", as the tables are rotated in the browsing menu. Clearly two sound files playing concurrently. For my purposes, the "table audio" sounds would only be 2-3 seconds long on average, and would NOT loop.
  • When a table is selected. The "ambient" sound would pause, and the table would load (transition to VP10).
  • When the VP10 table is exited, and PBX becomes active again, the "ambient" sound would un-pause and start playing again.

Thats pretty much it.

Would you also please consider one more desperately wanted feature, for the "ambient" sound function. 

How cool would it be if there were multiple sound files (songs) in the "ambient" media folder, and at PBX startup, a random sound from that folder would be played, as opposed to just the same single one over and over? This would give a very unique experience every single time PBX is run.  And when the initially randomly selected file ends, the next sound file is randomly selected.  I would love to have a folder full of 80's rock and roll songs, and have them play at random when PBX is active. This would IMO, be very big and noticable enhancement, to an already excellent front end.

Thanks for the consideration, dedication and efforts. They are very very appreciated by the community.:cheers:

Bill

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wrd1972 said:

Would you also please consider one more desperately wanted feature, for the "ambient" sound function. 

I refer you to my previous hacky method ;)

But, yeah that would be pretty cool handled natively in pinballx!