All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] How to : High scores on real DMD ?

Mike_da_Spike

Since version 3.10 (or 3.11) a feature is added to show the highscores (from tables that support highscore) to put on the DMD.

I have enabled this feature, but no highscore is showing on the DMD. Only the "Real DMD Color Videos" (short video's of 7 seconds)

I removed the real DMD video's to check, but only shows the awesome pinballX video, but still no highscore.

If I check the "information" button in the menu, it shows the high scores (for example Stern's table 24).

Log file doesn't show anything.

anyone got an Idea ?

log.txt

PinballX.ini

6 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

Since version 3.10 (or 3.11) a feature is added to show the highscores (from tables that support highscore) to put on the DMD.

I have enabled this feature, but no highscore is showing on the DMD. Only the "Real DMD Color Videos" (short video's of 7 seconds)

I removed the real DMD video's to check, but only shows the awesome pinballX video, but still no highscore.

If I check the "information" button in the menu, it shows the high scores (for example Stern's table 24).

Log file doesn't show anything.

anyone got an Idea ?

log.txt

PinballX.ini

A list of tables that should display the highscores would be helpful. Also log.txt files from when an affected table was run from the same list may also prove helpful.

In the [AttractMode] settings you don't have an entry for EnableAttractModeHighScores=True (but this might be because it's the default value so a False entry is only created when you disable it in Settings.exe).

It's not a feature i use myself but when it was enabled i was under the impression it was only activated after the attract mode started (so start pinballx and wait for 1 minute) and then only about 15secs after attract mode selected a table, so if you had a ShowFor value less than that you wouldn't see it anyway. 

It did appear regardless of DMD videos being present though, so you got 15sec of DMD video and then high scores. It might be you just have to wait longer to see them, and maybe just in attract mode as well

@scutters I tried the option EnableAttractModeHighScores=True in the Attractmode section, but no luck.

When I go back to settings.exe it will remove it the line again. Setting it to NO in setttings.exe it will add EnableAttractModeHighScores=False
I changed attract mode from 30 sec to 60 sec wait, but no Highscores (after 15 seconds) for tables.

@Draco1962

Sorry for the logfile. Hereby a new one I posted, but nothing really to see in it. Just waiting times.
Not sure if my assumtion is rigth, but are the highscores pulled from the "High scores" directory in the root of the pinballx folder ? 
I see 2 subfolders in there (Visual pinball and Future Pinball)
Under visual pinball i see a lot of txt files whwre the txt name are corresponding to the VP9 or VPX file
For testing I added the following to my favorites (and checked if I a highsore text file was available)

24 (Stern 2009) 
Batman Dark Knight 
Freddy A Nightmare On Elm Street (Gottlieb 1994) 
Flintstones
Whitewater 
WWF Royal Rumble (Data East 1994)
X-Men LE (Stern 2012)

(where flinstones is a vp9 table and rest are VPX)
I waited a long time so that the attract mode has done all the above tables, but only the VP9 table showed the highscores (thats was the first time I saw it ! Awseome).
Could it be that my VPX tables are  defined in [System_1]  and I have my Pinball9 under the [VisualPinball] section ?
 I can try to switch all from Visualpinball to Sytem1 and have visual pinballx in the [VisualPinball] section, but that will take some time 

Attached logfile, INI file, XML file and directory list of PinballX\High Scores\Visual Pinball

PinballX.ini
  Visual Pinball X.xml
 Visual Pinball.xml
 log.txt
 HighscoresDir_Visual_Pinball.txt

Visual Pinball X.xml

EDIT : I give up on this. I moved everything from VPX to VP9. XML's /media/ settings . So that under Visual Pinball it now launches VPx tables.

I have seen once that table "24 (Stern 2009) " was giving highscores, but after that nothing anymore. None of the tables in the list.

I really don't understand how this should work

@Mike_da_Spike you made me curious so i re-enabled highscores in attract mode...

They only started working again when i removed EnableAttractModeHighScores=True (deleted the line totally) from my pinballx.ini - I think this must be a bug in how that flag is handled, changing it in settings.exe changed true/false but it had no effect and high scores weren't displayed until it was removed.

I confirmed that when working they appear in attract mode after table displayed for 15secs, scores scroll up for about 10secs then dmd video returns (assuming you have a high enough display game for value set). All my VPX tables are under 'other system' so which list you add games to is not a factor, i'm also using virtual dmd rather than real but don't think that'll affect anything.

The scores as far as i can tell come from databases\statistics.ini as that file only holds 3 high scores whereas the highscores text file contains 4 high scores and the DMD only shows 3 high scores - although that could be coded in somewhere to only read the top 3 i suppose..

Seems a bit of a mystery as to how this should & does work and how it can be configured differently (if at all). Will probably need a dev to confirm.

... i think i'll just go back and disable high scores in attract mode for now!

@scutters

Man. This really drives me crazy.  (and I like the option)

I removed the line from my ini file. I wainted for attract mode, but noting.  Not on the VP9 tables ad not on the VPX.

I checked the Statistics.inin. I see the highscores in theer too. 

But thought I saw also on my 24 table the Grand Champion. thas not in the statistics.ini, but only in the .txt files.

To bad there isn't a verbose loggin to check what should happend. 

its indeed a mystery, but thanks for checking. Hope that Tom can shine a light on this :cheers:

Its on by default. Removing the setting from the ini will just turn it on.

It does require a pinmame rom supported by pinemhi.
The table needs to be launched (since the feature was introduced I believe).
It either plays after the video has completed once or if displaying an image after displaying the image after 8 seconds.

Both real dmd and normal monitors are supported.

Thanks for the info @Tom Speirs. Playing after the video completes makes sense with what i saw as my DMD videos are 15secs long, but even after allowing for all not all roms being supported it did seem a bit flakey to me on when it would work, i.e. sometimes when it was shown as enabled it did not show high scores for any tables at all. It sounds like @Mike_da_Spike had a similar experience.

Thanks for the info @Tom Speirs

I have all the "conditions" for showing it, but it doesn't

My video's are only 7 seconds long.
I use pinmame roms (I see that "you grabbed" highscores from tables and put it into the "highscore" folder and in the statistics.ini)
I have seen it once worked for a VPX table, but after that didn't seen it for any table.
This is with or without the line EnableAttractModeHighScores=True in the PinballX.ini under [AttractMode]

Is there anything I can do for troubleshooting this, or do  ?
The log file doesn't show anything about the attract mode and what it is showing.

PinballX.ini

1 hour ago, Tom Speirs said:

I wonder if its because its setup as a custom system otherwise not sure. Do the highscores show under "information"?

Please post statistics.ini

Yes, highscores are under information. If I'm home I will post statistics.ini

What do mean with "custom system" ? 

Awesome. Version 3.32 solved it for me !

Thanks @Tom Speirs !!! 

I love this option

High scores is showing now on all support tables under Visual pinball section and onder "Other systems", where my VPX tables are there

Again, thanks Tom ! I really appreciate your effort to fix this.

:cheers:

(If we have such application developer as you in our company, it made my life much easier ;) )