All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

PinballX crashed, and never starts again ;/

Malinas

Hi there! PinballX Lagged and chrased, and then i reinstalled it from the original installation file and now it don´t start again ;/ i have tried different things for hours, but i cant understand what´s wrong. 

I included the log and ini if there is any help. IF someone nice want to help out pls explain this to a childs level cause i am very new at this. would be very happy for some help so i can play again ;)

have a nice day!

log.txt

PinballX.ini

I am just as stuck.

I've run PinballX for a few years. I've upgraded it several times.  Now, all of a sudden, PinballX will not even launch.   

I tried reinstalling v3.32 over my current installation -> no good.

I uninstalled PinballX and reinstalled it from scratch (32-bit version by unselecting 64-bit version) -> Not working.

I've tried launching with and without the DirectOutput plugin enabled.  No difference.

According to the Win10 task manager, PinballX (32 bit) is running as a background process, but not as an App.

I'm at a complete loss.  After several years, and subscribing to the site, it appears that I'm forced to abandon PinballX unless someone can make a suggestion.

I'm attaching my last log.txt file.

Any help is appreciated.

log.txt

5 hours ago, scutters said:

@phazer When did the problem start?, after update of pinballx, windows updates, etc?

I had not used PinballX in several weeks while I tried some other front ends.  Windows 10 had updated since then.  Since around 2014, I cannot recall a Windows update that had broken PinballX.

I'll post my pinballx.ini files as soon as I can.

Help from you and Draco is appreciated. Thanks.

@phazer

No single known event caused the issue then...

Will have a look at the .ini when you post it but for now  what i'd try is to rename/move your pinballx folder (as backup) and reinstall again (v3.34 now) and try that with no config / media files, if that works copy ini, database, media foldrs back one at a time trying again in between.

(I'm assuming your uninstall previously was a windows uninstall without a delete of the pinballx folder after - if you fully removed pinballx before reinstall then ignore my suggestion)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scutters said:

@phazer

No single known event caused the issue then...

Will have a look at the .ini when you post it but for now  what i'd try is to rename/move your pinballx folder (as backup) and reinstall again (v3.34 now) and try that with no config / media files, if that works copy ini, database, media foldrs back one at a time trying again in between.

(I'm assuming your uninstall previously was a windows uninstall without a delete of the pinballx folder after - if you fully removed pinballx before reinstall then ignore my suggestion)

I tried a complete removal of PinballX: Uninstalled program, deleted PinballX directory, rebooted, and then reinstalled.  Still wouldn't start up.

I will post the .ini if the "from scratch" installation for your review. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

Also try to disable also all plug-ins in plugin manager.

Looks like, according to your log file, that a plugin is failing

If that doesn't work try to repair install .net 4.7 

I agree.  I tried disabling all plug-ins from the plugin manager (no boxes checked).  Still wouldn't start up.

I'll have to look up how to reinstall .net 4.7 for Win10.

You may also want to download and install the latest version 3.34 that was updated since your original post. You may want to save a copy of your pinballx.ini file elsewhere on your system, delete the copy in your pinballx\config path and let the installation create a default copy. See if that boots OK. If so, it is possible that your pinballx.ini file is corrupt. Rare that this happens but not impossible.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

You may also want to download and install the latest version 3.34 that was updated since your original post. You may want to save a copy of your pinballx.ini file elsewhere on your system, delete the copy in your pinballx\config path and let the installation create a default copy. See if that boots OK. If so, it is possible that your pinballx.ini file is corrupt. Rare that this happens but not impossible.

I uninstalled PinballX and deleted my PinballX directory.  I did a fresh installation of v3.34.

No plugins are installed or selected.

When I launch PinballX, I briefly see a rectangular black window box (about 1/8 size of the screen, that opens and disappears) and then nothing.  PinballX will not launch.

I am attaching my log and pinballx.ini files from this new, clean, nonfunctioning, installation.

I appreciate your assistance.

log.txt

PinballX.ini

Looks like something is wrong with your w10 installation.

Not sure what, but I guess .net framework (or vcredist, but not sure what version)

In the log file I see that during loading plugins it gives an error and exists after that.

Try in a administrator command prompt the following sfc /scannow

Btw. Is pinballx installed outside the programs files directory?

• Like 1

In addition to Mike_da_spikes advice can you confirm if there's anything more in event viewer around time of last error (07:12:38.8), and does everything else appear to be functioning ok (other apps)?

You could also try pinballxlite.exe, I suspect it'll have the same issue but if it doesn't that would be of interest.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

Looks like something is wrong with your w10 installation.

Not sure what, but I guess .net framework (or vcredist, but not sure what version)

In the log file I see that during loading plugins it gives an error and exists after that.

Try in a administrator command prompt the following sfc /scannow

Btw. Is pinballx installed outside the programs files directory?

Thanks again for your input.

I will try what you've recommended.

If nothing works, a Windows 10 reinstallation is going to be in my future.

1 hour ago, Draco1962 said:

Always good to install PinballX and your emulators outside of Windows high protection areas (Windows, Users, Program Files, Program Files (x86), etc.).

I always do this.

My directory structure includes:

C:\PinballX

C:\Visual Pinball

• Like 1

If you install the latest version of Pinballx (3.34) and look at the log it improves logging on this issue now I believe. If not please try and post the log again,.

Its a common issue with Flash, and people here will normally tell you to try the 32 bit version. Its not the root of the problem.

On 3/19/2019 at 12:41 PM, Tom Speirs said:

Iti still may well be flash is not installed. Are you using a special windows 10 iso?

But do this. Delete flash.ocx from the pinballx folder. Then try to reinstall. It is supposed to log this in the latest version but it appears it is not.

Tom:

Thanks for your input.  I followed your instructions (deleted flash.ocx from the PinballX folder and then reinstalled v3.34).

I got the same results as before: After trying to launch, a black rectangular box opens and then closes on the lefthand side of the screen.

No plugins are selected through the plugin manager.

I'm attaching my log.txt and pinballx.ini files for your evaluation.

Please advise.

log.txt PinballX.ini