All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

PinballX Enhancements/Features Requests

2 minutes ago, Numiah2 said:

Could it be "polled" to see if that is the case?

Since the answer is coming from the frontend author, do you really think that a poll is going to matter?  Besides, there are only so many buttons that most cabinets support. 

Classic hyperpin is the one that supports a host of single function buttons as I recall, but most cab users want their cabs to look like a real cabinet! It's always possible to override PinballX and display flyers/instruction cards, whatever with custom scripting (AutoHotkey would do this and it has image viewer functions). I don't think it would be hard, but you'd be on your own to do it. Could be a plug-in?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

I would like to suggest an option for your consideration for the attract mode timer period. I am wondering if, in addition the current set of options, could there also be one additional option to allow the time period to be derived, on a table-by-table basis, from the duration of the table's audio clip.  Many people, including me,  have songs associated with the table audio, so that the song plays while the table is displaying in PInballX. I think it would be great to have the song complete before the attract mode switched to the next table. It would be kind of like having a jukebox that is tied to the randomly selected table in attract mode, but the song is allowed to finish before attract mode switches to the next table.

• Like 2

Hi,

I'd like to be able to specify per system if dmd video's in pinballx should be visible / played. I have a 2 monitor setup and for pinball fx3 i'm using the same backglass images in pinballx as the ones i use ingame, but i left place there for the dmd. So when viewing a pinball fx3 game i would like to be able to view the dmd video as i have placed it on the same monitor as the backglass video. This seems to be working fine however i do not want any other system to show a dmd. From what i've seen i don't think this is currently possible. It seems the hidedmd option inside the xml / game manager is related to showing the dmd while playing a game or something along those lines but it's not related to hiding the dmd video per game / system as i had set hidedmd to true on some systems yet they still play the video. I also tried renaming the no dmd image / video in the hope it would not show but then it shows just a black rectangle on the place where it would normally show the dmd in pinballx. I have no idea's left to try and show a dmd video only for pinball fx3 games inside pinballx so i'm guessing it's currently not possible to do this hence the feature request. I currently disabled showing the dmd on same monitor as the backglass again as i can't specify it per system / game or at least i don't know how to do it if it is possible.

Thanks

29 minutes ago, joyrider3774 said:

Hi,

I'd like to be able to specify per system if dmd video's in pinballx should be visible / played. I have a 2 monitor setup and for pinball fx3 i'm using the same backglass images in pinballx as the ones i use ingame, but i left place there for the dmd. So when viewing a pinball fx3 game i would like to be able to view the dmd video as i have placed it on the same monitor as the backglass video. This seems to be working fine however i do not want any other system to show a dmd. From what i've seen i don't think this is currently possible. It seems the hidedmd option inside the xml / game manager is related to showing the dmd while playing a game or something along those lines but it's not related to hiding the dmd video per game / system as i had set hidedmd to true on some systems yet they still play the video. I also tried renaming the no dmd image / video in the hope it would not show but then it shows just a black rectangle on the place where it would normally show the dmd in pinballx. I have no idea's left to try and show a dmd video only for pinball fx3 games inside pinballx so i'm guessing it's currently not possible to do this hence the feature request. I currently disabled showing the dmd on same monitor as the backglass again as i can't specify it per system / game or at least i don't know how to do it if it is possible.

Thanks

Yeah, the hidedmd tag in the database xml only tells PinballX what to display while in-game. False - display the attract mode DMD image from your media folder; True - display blank; no image.

A common setup configuration for 2 screens would not make use of DMD videos or images at all. Those are reserved for systems with three monitors/TVs.

If you can't find a source for a media image or video that matches the look of your backglass in-game then you would record one yourself. I don't know for sure that PinballX's integrated video capture works with PinballFX3. If not then you may be able to use your video card's screen capture app. For Nvidia, that's ShadowPlay. AMD would have a similar feature, but I don't know the name. Just capture the entire backglass in-game and use the output in your Backglass Videos folder. Of course, since your capturing the entire backglass you would also be capturing the embedded DMD.   

@Carny_Priest that would indeed be a workaround that should work. Thanks i did not think of that. Currently i disabled it again. There might be another way using a program to merge the picture backglass i'm using and the dmd video's

edit: it seems ffmpeg.exe can do this :)

my backglass is 1024x768 and thus my picture is the same size however my dmd video is not same size so i have to scale it and then put it on the postion where my dmd would be. so the command i used is this:

ffmpeg -loop 1 -i WMS_Junkyard_trans.png -vf "movie=WMS_Junkyard.mp4,scale=568:170[inner];[in][inner]overlay=228:590:shortest=1[out]" -y WMS_Junkyard_trans_test.mp4

where the png is my backglass image, wms_junkyard.mp4 is my dmd video the Scale:568:170 is to scale the video to the size of the dmd i want it to use and the overlay=228:590 the postion where the dmd video should come in the picture basically if defines the rectangle inside the picture where dmd should come.

All i need to do now is create a simple batch script that loops over everything and does it all at once. I'll put the patch script here afterwards so people can use it

That's still doing it the hard way. If you are using ffmpeg then I think that you can use the gdigrab parameter and simply capture the contents of your desktop limited to the backglass screen while in-game.

This is an AutoHotkey script I coded for the old Pinball FX2 for capturing the DMD only. It can be modified for capturing the entire backglass. A transcode step is commented out in the code that would make the file length smaller and save the output right into your media folder. Uncomment and it will work and it will be fully automated.

In this particular case as I was publishing the output on the FTP, I manually edited with Avidemux so that the DMD attract mode loop was seamless with the end going exactly back to the beginning. The length of the attract loop varies by table, and I don't know how long each one is ahead of time.

I don't have FX3 installed but I expect that the script would largely work once you replace the Steam launch ID with the one for FX3.

@Carny_Priest thanks, i'll have a look at it. I did create my batch file already as i already had some of the dmd video's synced to my playfield (like the junkyard one) which i manually recorded using obs studio. So for the ones i have i used the batch file and it worked but for the ones i'm missing i'll modify your script and see what it gives. The thing is i'm doing most of my recording on my main pc, have not tried to see if my cab can handle it. My cab is slower than my main pc. But i'll try it out, should indeed not be too hard to do it.

edit: got it working although am recording from my main pc and a virtual monitor using spacedesk. Pinball cabinet could not handle playing the game and recording using ffmpeg at the same time. The cpu is not that good. But simulated my setup on my main pc for recording.

It does not loop correctly but then again i did not verify the video's i already merged using ffmpeg if they loop correctly and usually i would launch a game before the video ends. Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'd like to submit a feature request to add custom loading images by system to PinballX. An example of what I'm requesting is below. Thanks!

I run MAME and a Jukebox on my backbox screen. When using either system, the playfield displays the usual "LOADING" image. I'd like to be able to display something other than the default loading image... Perhaps a MAME logo, or the logo of the game being played.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 3:15 PM, cherga said:

Hi all,

I'd like to submit a feature request to add custom loading images by system to PinballX. An example of what I'm requesting is below. Thanks!

I run MAME and a Jukebox on my backbox screen. When using either system, the playfield displays the usual "LOADING" image. I'd like to be able to display something other than the default loading image... Perhaps a MAME logo, or the logo of the game being played.

+1 from me!, by table and or system would be good. Default to the current loading screen if no image found. I did try changing  the loading.png image via a launch before bat file, but it seems the loading image is loaded before that fires (or at least doesn't honour the wait for exit flag), which i suppose makes sense as you'd want the loading screen there for any long running launch before activities,

Edit: 25/02/19 functionality now added via plugin. Would still like 'native' support in pinballx though

• 3 weeks later...

A utility that would read the system's XML, look for the media paths in the pinballx.ini and audit the artwork and display a thumbnail of the snap/video/audio file along with the format or display a default no video/no audio graphic for the absence thereof.

• 3 weeks later...

There is something that would be very interesting to add to PinballX.

When we run Future Pinball, we can configure PinballX to open Future DMD before and close when the table closes.

But this affects all Future Pinball tables and not all use Future DMD.

When we execute a table that does not use Future DMD, it opens equally, not allowing to see a DMD image from PinballX in these tables since Future DMD is above the image.

As I have not found the way to make the table itself who start Future DMD, which would be ideal.

I think it would be a big step forward to integrate PinballX with the <FutureDMD> True or False </ FutureDMD> tag.

This would allow us to open Future DMD only in the tables that use it.

--------------------------------

Hay algo que sería muy interesante añadir a PinballX.

Cuando ejecutamos Future Pinball, podemos configurar PinballX para que abra Future DMD antes y se cierre al cerrar la mesa.

Pero esto afecta a todas las mesas de Future Pinball y no todas usan Future DMD.

Cuando ejecutamos una mesa que no usa Future DMD, este se abre igualmente, no permitiendo ver una imagen de DMD desde PinballX en estas mesas ya que Future DMD queda por encima de la imagen.

Como no he encontrado la forma de hacer que sea la propia mesa quien inicie Future DMD, que sería lo ideal.

Creo que sería un gran paso adelante, integrar en PinballX la etiqueta <FutureDMD>True or False</FutureDMD>.

Esto nos permitiría abrir Future DMD únicamente en las mesas que lo usan.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

PinballX is awesome! ...  and that comes after years of use and trying other alternatives.

A possible enhancement would be to selectively disable the Topper for a game while still in the PinballX menus.  Essentially treating that particular game as if the Topper was disabled in the overall Pinball settings. 

Why?   If you already have some DMD media that you want displayed in both PinballX and while playing and need the full screen used for DMD,to correctly display it (e.g. aspect ratio), the problem arises when the screen is shared with the topper.   The problem is worse when the topper media  available is not something you want for that game.  However, there may be other games where the topper media is desirable and the DMD media is fine with a reduced aspect ratio.  Unfortuantely today you need to choose or come up with some hybrid PUPpack arrangement.  An option would be to add an option in the Game Manager next to Hide Topper to disble the Topper for that game. 

Of course even without this enhancement, PinballX remains the best choice ... THANKS.

Thanks for moving this to the right thread :).

Want to say been using  GAMEX for years  with my Mame machine, and just starting building the Virtual Pin. So my question might be something simple I am just missing, but I did search the forums.   I missed out of the pinball arcade opportunity I am just focusing on FX3 for now . My question / Suggestion is I would love to see a pop up window at some time before selecting a game from the wheel. Maybe with the "Launch before"  or a add in hot key button which would prompt the user for the  Number of Players, you pick the number  say (2) , and it updates the pinballX.ini  parameter to launch that number of players in hostseat mode. -hotseat_2   It could be an option before every game which might be a pain to see every time, or driven by a hotkey assigned to a button and you can bring it up anytime before a game is launched to modify the ini file change players before the game launches (unless it is only read into memory once)   that way it stays at the selected number of players until you hot key to change it.  Since most of the time I want to see it once and when I am done with 2 player mode I would set it back to 1.  But simply it would be nice to have a method of changing players inside of pinball x without having to update the config, or go to the Fx3 Menu system.

15 hours ago, mike2089 said:

Want to say been using  GAMEX for years  with my Mame machine, and just starting building the Virtual Pin. So my question might be something simple I am just missing, but I did search the forums.   I missed out of the pinball arcade opportunity I am just focusing on FX3 for now . My question / Suggestion is I would love to see a pop up window at some time before selecting a game from the wheel. Maybe with the "Launch before"  or a add in hot key button which would prompt the user for the  Number of Players, you pick the number  say (2) , and it updates the pinballX.ini  parameter to launch that number of players in hostseat mode. -hotseat_2   It could be an option before every game which might be a pain to see every time, or driven by a hotkey assigned to a button and you can bring it up anytime before a game is launched to modify the ini file change players before the game launches (unless it is only read into memory once)   that way it stays at the selected number of players until you hot key to change it.  Since most of the time I want to see it once and when I am done with 2 player mode I would set it back to 1.  But simply it would be nice to have a method of changing players inside of pinball x without having to update the config, or go to the Fx3 Menu system.

@joyrider3774might already have you covered;

• Thanks 2

I have a lot of tables in PBX i would like to see an option to search for a table via a name then load it, i know i could add it to FAVORITES but some times its nice to say for example "ill play an *ATTACK* table " PBX would then show all tables beginning with said search. Also i have same tables in different pinball software so would be good too choose.

Any Takers ??

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it is already mentioned .

Can we have in the table "list" a section with "recently added/updated" ?

Maybe an entry in Statistics.ini when a game is added/updated from game manager and than shows the 25 latest tables from pinballx ?

I would really appreciate if that could be in a next release of pinballx

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:21 AM, Mike_da_Spike said:

Not sure if it is already mentioned .

Can we have in the table "list" a section with "recently added/updated" ?

Maybe an entry in Statistics.ini when a game is added/updated from game manager and than shows the 25 latest tables from pinballx ?

I would really appreciate if that could be in a next release of pinballx

Good request. Ill look at it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

as an addition to the above suggestion: can I ask for a '60's  table list (where there is also 70's, 80's 90's , modern, Bally, Williams etc)?

Would be nice to look up some older EM-games in the ever growing table list!

Even better: if it could be a dynamic list: if on a setup only 70 and 90's tables are there: list shows only these entries.

When 50, 60, 70 etc tables are there then the list will change accordingly.

But adding a 60's would also be a step forward,   (I looked around on my PC but couldn't find a XML file where I can adjust the list myself (may-be there is?)

Thanks!

• Like 1

Could we have an option (disabled by default) to remove/hide the wheel and table info box when scrolling through tables and table selection has not changed for x seconds? (so the playfield would show just the table video/image un-obscured). Default for x seconds would be around 5 or lower i guess. Table info & wheel could re-appear on any button press (except Select to play).

Not sure if it'd be needed / wanted in Attract mode, but would be nice to see table info and then the unobscured table view when manually scrolling through tables.

Thanks!

Tom,

Would you also please consider one more desperately wanted feature, for the "ambient" sound function. 

How cool would it be if there were multiple sound files (songs) in the "ambient" media folder, and at PBX startup, a random sound from that folder would be played, as opposed to just the same single one over and over? This would give a very unique experience every single time PBX is run.  And when the initially randomly selected file ends, the next sound file is randomly selected.  I would love to have a folder full of 80's rock and roll songs, and have them play at random when PBX is active. This would IMO, be very big and noticable enhancement, to an already excellent front end.

• Like 1

I would love to see this functionality added natively to PBX.    Joyrider3774 has created a great utility that accomplishes this too.    I finally got around to installing it

on my cabinet a few days ago and it works perfectly so it is a great working solution too.

On 3/31/2019 at 7:06 PM, GAH1068 said:

I would love to see this functionality added natively to PBX.    Joyrider3774 has created a great utility that accomplishes this too.    I finally got around to installing it

on my cabinet a few days ago and it works perfectly so it is a great working solution too.

Can someone please link me to this uitlity?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

As xdmd is distributed with pinballx could it be used on non dmd games to display table name / year / company logo (also already distributed with pinballx) / hi scores etc on a virtual or real DMD screen in a DMD style?

At the moment for non dmd tables i have a static company image logo on my virtual dmd (which i prefer to the "no dmd" default image/video), but it would be nice if pinballx could populate a dmd type screen with the information it has in the database files and loop through that instead - bonus if it scrolled / transitioned nicely!. The display would be automatically populated for any tables where no DMD media is found (like for [and instead of] the "no dmd" screen now) and could be left running after table started by leaving the "hide DMD" option unchecked as now.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks..

Edit 17/07/2019 - No longer needed for me. I now use DMD videos see;