All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

PinballX DMD Shows up on Playfield FX3

cherga

Hi all,

Seeking some assistance with PinballX… I had everything working properly until recently I needed to reinstall PinballX. I'm having an issue that when I launch FX3 games the PinballX DMD stays running and appears on my main playfield screen as a large black rectangle. I have Hide DMD set to TRUE (checked in Game Manager). I've checked the XML file and it matches the settings in Game Manager. If I change settings to Full Screen Windowed, the DMD stays behind the playfield and I can play the game however I know the DMD shouldn't still be running after launching a game. Any ideas on why this is happening? Thanks!

PinballX.ini

log.txt

It’s the PinballX DMD... I did some more testing and it happens on all games. Also narrowed it down to having to do with my Pulse Eight USB-CEC adapter for turning on my playfield monitor at startup. Nothing actually changes in Windows but PinballX appears to be ignoring the DMD position when I use the adapter. 

Is it a black DMD rectangle (i.e. always no picture/video) and out of position?.. not at my cab to check but from memory a black rectangle is shown for dmd in pinballx on game launch when hide dmd is selected (same for backglass), so it might be correct but just out of position. 

My guess is the playfield screen is coming 'online' when booted via hdmi-cec too slowly and it's throwing positions out, it might be a total red herring - but i do know if i boot up before my backglass screen is fully powered up then windows picks a different (lower) native resolution for it  and identifiies it as Digital Display rather than HDTV in nvidia contol panel. Does everything look ok in windows/nvidia display settings when you have the issue?

When launching FX3 games it is a black DMD sized rectangle that appears on the playfield. When I “Alt-Tab”, I see a window called “PinballX DMD”. All of the Windows display settings are correct when it occurs. It has to be something wonky happening with the CEC adapter that PinballX doesn’t like. I ran another Frontend to test and it works fine without issue. Worst case, I’ll remove the adapter and go back to the drawing board for a solution to turn on my playfield when I fire up the cabinet.

Following might be useless suggestions.

1st, have you tried turning off DMD for a few tables to see if that resolves the error?

2nd, if there is another process that has to load first try running a batch file via Launch Before with a delay if that is possible.

Just following up on this and the issue was related to drivers for my DMD LCD which has been corrected. Been having another issue with only FX3 for quite some time.  Occasionally the PinballX DMD stays up but completely black and positions itself in front of my FX3 DMD. If I exit out and launch the game again, it usually functions normally. Seeing something similar with the playfield too - the loading screen will sometimes stay at the forefront and I have to alt-tab to have the FX3 playfield show. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!