All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Just bought a Viritual Pinball!

Malinas

Hi there all! Im totally new here and also with VP´s in general.  But bought a Virtual Pinball machine from 2016 yesterday!

My problem now, is that i can´t access to the PinballX frontend for updating. I can´t get into Windows, i know its Win 7 Ultimate on it though.
Cause i want to change backglass movies in the FrontEnd, and also add some new games that i can buy, such as FX3 and so on.
Please help out with tips with what i can do, cause i cant find a way to access it ;/ Or do i buy a new computer, to get that feature?

What do do, what do do?

Its that one https://retroactivearcade.ca/products/virtual-pinball-machine-820-tables 

Best regards from Sweden / Malin

Not sure if it is the best approach, but you can detach the harddrive from the system and add it to another system.

Copy over all relevant data from the harddrive.

Reinstall operating system and start all from scratch.

Thats what I should do, but no guarantee from my side

have you tried attaching a keyboard and mouse ? I don't realy get it pinballx runs under windows so i can't see how it's possible that you can't access it unless you mean the cabinet does not boot at all ? if you are in pinballx try some of the usual key combinations being ctrl+alt+del an choose task manager and kill pinballx or ALT+F4 (but not sure pinballx reacts to it) also if they did not disable exiting pinballx pressing ESC / quit button should bring up the menu to exit pinballx. 

Another solution is to boot in safe mode (pressing F8 during boot to bring up the menu) and remove the autostart entry of pinballx probably in start menu or in windows registry

8 hours ago, joyrider3774 said:

have you tried attaching a keyboard and mouse ? I don't realy get it pinballx runs under windows so i can't see how it's possible that you can't access it unless you mean the cabinet does not boot at all ? if you are in pinballx try some of the usual key combinations being ctrl+alt+del an choose task manager and kill pinballx or ALT+F4 (but not sure pinballx reacts to it) also if they did not disable exiting pinballx pressing ESC / quit button should bring up the menu to exit pinballx. 

Another solution is to boot in safe mode (pressing F8 during boot to bring up the menu) and remove the autostart entry of pinballx probably in start menu or in windows registry

Thank you for answer! When i try F8 the pinball X pre loads anyway. ;/ when i do ALT F4 i come to where i switch user, then the only user i can choose is ADMINISTRATOR and i don´t have the ADMINISTRATOR password, and the guy i bought it from does not have either ;/ So i don´t know what to do here, i want to be able to come into PinballX front end and add for instance FX3. This was very annoying. What i may try is to reset the administrator password from a boot disk, is there anyway i can destroy the PinballX setup doing that you think? Cause i am such a noob so i will never be able to install PinballX and add all the games and stuff by myself.

12 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

Not sure if it is the best approach, but you can detach the harddrive from the system and add it to another system.

Copy over all relevant data from the harddrive.

Reinstall operating system and start all from scratch.

Thats what I should do, but no guarantee from my side

Thanks for reply! im to chicken to try this cause im afraid something goes wrong, then i just have a cabinet standing in the living room without games. Mabye some PRO can control the computer and fix everything? If i pay? Is that even possible?

F8 should work press f8 then wait a second then press f8 again wait a second press f8 wait a second. Start doing it as soon as you power on the pc. It should work ...

i know of ways to reset the administrator password using linux usb boot key for windows 7 or cd. But i can't provide clear instructions you'll need to some things youselve.

i'll look it up:

here are some samples:

https://www.ubuntupit.com/how-to-reset-windows-login-password-with-ubuntu-linux-live-cd/

https://opensource.com/article/18/3/how-reset-windows-password-linux

i've done it before on windows 7 machines and i know it works but could be i used other disk / usb key. "Try doing google searches for reset windows 7 password linux usb" but it's technical if you don't know what your doing or are tech savy

Just now, joyrider3774 said:

F8 should work press f8 then wait a second then press f8 again wait a second press f8 wait a second. Start doing it as soon as you power on the pc. It should work ...

i know of ways to reset the administrator password using linux usb boot key for windows 7 or cd. But i can't provide clear instructions you'll need to some things youselve.

i'll look it up:

here are some samples:

https://www.ubuntupit.com/how-to-reset-windows-login-password-with-ubuntu-linux-live-cd/

https://opensource.com/article/18/3/how-reset-windows-password-linux

i've done it before on windows 7 machines and i know it works but could be i used other disk / usb key. "Try doing google searches for reset windows 7 password linux usb" but it's technical if you don't know what your doing or are tech savy

I apprichiate so much that you taking your time to help me out. i will try this right away and tell you how it went ;)

if your not tech savy or know much about windows stuff, try asking someone near you for help. They should easily be able to exit pinballx someway.

also if you come to the screen to switch user can't you choose "task manager" and it should show the task manager then goto pinballx process and kill it. On that screen do not choose change user. and have you tried an empty password .

Like this:
image.png.9e358e2650204531c98b612bddf03d7e.png

it's also weird you get that screen normally ALT+F4 should close pinballx  (i just tested that) unless they are somehow starting pinballx without user being logged in from the login screen but not sure if that's possible could be but not sure.

Also yes you can mess up things even with that resetting of passwords using linux. If you are not sure ask someone tech savy to do it for you.