All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[ RESOLVED ] does DMD/PF/ BG have to be a specific size

simbamame

does the DMD/ PF and BG videos we use have to be in a specific size? or file type, as i have downloaded several MP4, F4v and video-clip files and lots dont seem to work. i have the latest codecs installed etc.. so just wondered if if the format or pixel size that stop the files from showing. I can put a static image and that will work. I've tried removing the static image in case of conflict to see if the video shows but even that doesn't work. But if i have a static image and a video image i get nothing, if i remove the video image i get the static image.

enclosed is an example that im trying with no luck

Airborne_(Capcom_1996).f4v

I have a mixture of mp4 & f4v dmd videos and both formats work fine for me on lcd dmd. I'll try your airbourne f4v later on..

Edit- Gave your airbourne f4v file a go and it worked for me. I use the lav filters from the pinballx homepage, although i have since installed vlc player 2.2.8 32bit as well which maybe changed some stuff(?) . I'm on win10 64bit.

If using Windows 10, you may also need to open it first by clicking on it, selecting your media player to always open this file type, and, if you selected Media Player, check the box to always open files of this type. Going forward, Media Player will open all F4V files without the prompts.

7 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

If using Windows 10, you may also need to open it first by clicking on it, selecting your media player to always open this file type, and, if you selected Media Player, check the box to always open files of this type. Going forward, Media Player will open all F4V files without the prompts.

@Draco1962 im using W10 and have VLC player and have all the LAV codec installed but certain files just refuse to play, ive also tried with a static image and refuses to show , seems to be certain table, am doing summit wrong some where, i use game manger select DMD naviage to the image/DMD video import it and exit. can you try these on your system c if they work for you.?

007 Goldeneye (Sega 1996).png

its worth noting that if i remove the image and the dmd video the default noDMD pinball x dmd plays.

ive also noted if i put a static image in it doesn't show but when you hit enter to play the game the static image ive imported shows but no until visual pinball table starts to load.

Right i think ive half sorted this out.

It appears that you cant have the dmd video or DMD Image your importing in the DMD image or DMD video folder, it needs to be in a different location the game manager then makes a copy in those folders, again it doesn't work for all files but a few do.

Good thinking, I've always imported in Game Manager from another location (USB stick as the cabs offline) so never tried it that way. If you're already copying the files to DMD videos folder manually then you could probably rename them at the same time to match the table and not use game manager at all.

The only other problem i've had is with some table names with strange characters like Motörhead where i had to change the ö to an o in the name and the media files. Which files/tables do you still have issues with?

@scutters r u saying if i just copy the files and rename them exactly as the same as the table name PBX will pick them up automatically without having to use Game Manager? Does PBX look at the DMD video directory then ?

I've not tried doing it with videos, but i know when i copied a job lot of instructions / flyers into the pbx folders pbx picked them up straight away where the names matched, so yep i think if the names match pbx will find them

@scutters thanks mate for the tip, so ive tried as you said by coping the file name of the table over the file name of the DMD even tho it matched and what do you know...more are now working so god only knows, but i know others have said the file names need to be EXACT so who knows, so ill be trying all the ones that dont work and not use game manager for now.  Thanks. ( almost at the RESOLVED point lol :banana: )

@Draco1962 i think ive sorted it now, by not using game manager and coping table names ( ctrl c,  ctrl v )  to the dmd files they now appear to be working... once ive done a few more IL mark as resolved

• 3 weeks later...

Still have a very strange problem with this and dont really know what to make off it apart from it seems my system only likes media thats MP4 encoded at 1920x1080 ??? does that sound odd, as its the only way ive been able to get the playfield, backglass and DMD to work together, and if i have a static image and a video image it wont show either?? odd or what.

9 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

This might be a good time to attach your log.txt and pinballx.ini files. ^_^

i would say i agree mike :-)   [ done ] 

Ian

log.txt

PinballX.ini

update : ive just tried the PBX recorder and although it does record the files ok my system still revuses to play correctly so until this issue is fixed im stuck with having half static half animated screens, how annoying.

• simbamame changed the title to [ UPDATED ] does DMD/PF/ BG have to be a specific size

GetI uses game manager to create playfield and back glass videos.

The dmd videos I create myself as mp4 files (shows the wheel image, year of table and the company logo)

In the log file I dont see any capture of the videos.

Can you try to create a video from game manager abd post the logfile?

(Maybe delete manualy the f4v files in the media folder)

7 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

GetI uses game manager to create playfield and back glass videos.

The dmd videos I create myself as mp4 files (shows the wheel image, year of table and the company logo)

In the log file I dont see any capture of the videos.

Can you try to create a video from game manager abd post the logfile?

(Maybe delete manualy the f4v files in the media folder)

Im sorry i dont follow you, how do you create playfield and back glass videos from the game manager?

2 hours ago, scutters said:

I'd try reinstalling the LAV codecs. Something very odd going on!

Thanks, was the 1st thing i did just to make sure all was set, ive even re-installed VLC player and given the media permissions.

15 minutes ago, simbamame said:

Thanks, was the 1st thing i did just to make sure all was set, ive even re-installed VLC player and given the media permissions.

Hmm.. have a look at this post if you haven't already. I'm sure it's LAV related somehow but my knowledge is (very) limited in that area..

• Thanks 1