All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Joystick or Gamepad?

Chris Forrest

I have my Winuae up and running, with a selection of  Amiga games ready to play.

I just have one question.

Is it better to go with a special cable that will fit into my Windows pc and attach

an original Amiga joystick that way (USB Port-Joystick port cable), or should i go

with an up-to-date game pad/game controller to play the games? I am figuring

that the WinUAE would not recognize the Gamepad/controller, but would pick up

an original Amiga joystick, as i think they ran on an analogue signal back in the day,

which the Amiga machine recognized. The problem would be, would the pc recognize

the Joystick, and allow it to be connected?

I just need one or the other so that i can play the joystick games that i have.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Winuae will work with many different controllers.  I am attempting to set my  emulator up to use the x arcade .  In the past they included a setting that automatically did that.  But it seems as if in the overhaul they removed that.  There are many games as well that use the keyboard.  I am doing a class in adventure games and we use the keyboard for that.    Anyways the port of Amiga's would be a different end wouldn't they?  Winuae now runs almost anything.    Also some games are weird  Amigo's for example forces you to just gently nudge the joystick for it to move.  I haven't tried that one with a joystick yet.  But nudge works on the  gamepad.  I use both for different games.  So I would say either one of those seems to be useful at different times/.  Most of the Amiga games only used one button anyways.   Look at Alladdin on the Amiga vs the SNES and the Genesis versions  to see the differences.    The Amiga and the C64 had no idols at the time so there are so many differnet types of games that never were passed down.   Anyways just my thoughts

• 2 weeks later...

My views is get an up to date PC one, that way any another emulators you add would be able to use the PC stick, i built a cabinet and added 2 joysticks so i just configure each emulator to use the sticks installed, i also run the Amiga software and play mostly galaga and Super-frog both work fine with the sticks i installed.