All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Kung-Fu Master

1st GOTQ 2019 Winner: Cynicaster - 244,400 :link:

Kung-Fu Master
Kung-Fu Master Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 Cynicaster 244,400 Cynicaster's Hi-Score Entry
2 ExedExes 147,160 ExedExes's Hi-Score Entry
3 Mame Offender 140,790 Mame Offender's Hi-Score Entry
4 rtkiii 114,440 rtkiii's Hi-Score Entry
5 patrickfx 77,890 patrickfx's Hi-Score Entry
6 Floyd Turbo 36,130 Floyd Turbo's Hi-Score Entry
7 millerbrad 28,700
8 GimmeClassics 26,020 GimmeClassics's Hi-Score Entry
Last Updated by hansolo77: 08-30-2020

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for Kung Fu Master:

ROMSet: KungFuM
Difficulty: Easy
Energy Loss: Slow
Flip Screen: Off
Cabinet: Upright
Slow Motion Mode [Cheat]: Off
Freeze [Cheat]: Off
Level Selection [Cheat]: Off
Invulnerability [Cheat]: Off
Service Mode: Off

Special Rules: None

The green coloured default values match the Twin Galaxies settings.
The red coloured values need to be changed!

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide: :link:
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide: :link:
# general rules for submitting your hi-score: :link:

Kung-Fu Master is a side-scrolling beat 'em up game produced by Irem as arcade game in 1984 and distributed by Data East in North America. The game was initially released in Japan under the title of Spartan X (スパルタンX Suparutan X) as a tie-in based on the Jackie Chan film Wheels on Meals (which was distributed under the same title in Japan); however, the game has no bearing on the plot of the film outside the names of the main protagonist and his girlfriend, allowing Irem to export the game without the license by simply changing the title.

The players control Thomas, the titular Kung-Fu Master, as he fights his way through the five levels of the Devil's Temple in order to rescue his girlfriend Sylvia from the mysterious crime boss Mr. X. Kung-Fu Master is regarded as the first beat 'em up video game.[1][2][3][4][5][6][7] It had a NES port, which sold 3.5 million cartridges.[8] The arcade game also inspired a 1988 French film of the same name.

The player controls Thomas with a four-way joystick and two attack buttons to punch and kick. Unlike more conventional side-scrolling games, the joystick is used not only to crouch, but also to jump. Punches and kicks can be performed from a standing, crouching or jumping position. Punches award more points than kicks and do more damage, but their range is shorter.

Underlings encountered by the player include Grippers, who can grab Thomas and drain his energy until shaken off; Knife Throwers, who can throw at two different heights and must be hit twice; and Tom Toms, short fighters who can either grab Thomas or somersault to strike his head when he is crouching. On even-numbered floors, the player must also deal with falling balls and pots, snakes, poisonous moths, fire-breathing dragons, and exploding confetti balls.

The Devil's Temple has five floors, each ending with a different boss (described as "sons of the devil" at the start of the game). In order to complete a floor, Thomas must connect with enough strikes to completely drain the boss's energy meter; he can then climb the stairs to the next floor. Thomas has a fixed time limit to complete each floor; if time runs out or his meter is completely drained, the player loses one life and must replay the entire floor. Upon completing a floor, the player receives bonus points for remaining time and energy. The boss of the fifth floor is Mr. X, the leader of the gang that kidnapped Sylvia. Once he is defeated, Thomas rescues Sylvia and the game restarts at a higher difficulty level.

- Quote from Wikipedia

Here we go guys!  The next GOTQ (Game of the Quarter)... Kung-Fu Master!  Hope you all enjoy it and get some good (legit) scores in!  If anybody wants to check the current existing World Records, hope over to TwinGalaxies.  I chose to go with the "Points [Marathon Settings]" version, rather than the "Points [Tournament Settings]" one because the only difference was that you had to use HARD instead of EASY Difficulty.  This way you don't have to change anything by default.

Hope you all enjoy it!  Don't forget to vote.  Happy Gaming!

10 hours ago, patrickfx said:

Right on the spot for my born year.  I'm 47 and this one was one of my favorit but like a lot of person, this game was not too easy.  But so much addictive!, the sound, I remember the fighter at the end of the level 1 when it beat you! 

"HA HA HA HA HA!"

3 hours ago, Floyd Turbo said:

I had this for Atari back in the day.  Just remember, punching an enemy gets you 200 points vs. 100 points for kicks and leg sweeps.  

Ugh, that version blows.  I think that was the last “new” game we ever got for 2600 before moving to 7800 (which, incidentally, has its own crappy version of Kung Fu).

An excellent game for 2019. I spent many a Friday night playing this free at the local recreation center.

I really wanted to throw this score up but it looks like I'm already bested. Heck I'm throwing it up anyway. Anytime I can get through the first loop is good.

ExedExes - 147,160

0002.png

I tried playing a little of this last night.  I really SUCK.  Is there a trick to avoid or get out of the holds the guys get on you?  I'm walking along, doing pretty good, then all of a sudden one guy grabs me and I'm stuck.  Sometimes 2 or 3 guys at once and my life bar just drains super fast and it's game over.  There's gotta be something I'm missing.

17 hours ago, hansolo77 said:

I tried playing a little of this last night.  I really SUCK.  Is there a trick to avoid or get out of the holds the guys get on you?  I'm walking along, doing pretty good, then all of a sudden one guy grabs me and I'm stuck.  Sometimes 2 or 3 guys at once and my life bar just drains super fast and it's game over.  There's gotta be something I'm missing.

I hear ya Han.  I'm having a super hard time as well.  I have a feeling I will be coasting into last place on this quarter's game.   I'm super embarrassed to post any of my scores.  

By the way, congrats on the 5,000th post.

OH wow cool!  I didn't even notice I was close to 5000!  Don't be too embarrassed about low scores.  There's still 7 "good" spots available.  Even if you have the worst score, if only 4 people post scores, you're in the top 4!  Personally though, I usually try to at least get recognized in the game (providing initials etc).  I'm not even close to that yet!

Played this awhile ago and i love this game...but i still barely get past 3rd level  :)  The 100+ score was from 3 years ago...glad I could beat that score this weekend.

20190111_202235.jpg