All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Pinball X freezes on launch screen

mkend5

Everything was working fine and then I installed the newest version of pinball x and now it  freezes on the launch screen. Pinball X Lite still launches and works fine. Can someone please help me get up and running again. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the 32 bit and 64 bit and then tried the 32 bit again and still no luck. I'll attach my log files. If you need anything else attached let me know. When I originally set it up I had some help but have no clue now how to fix this. I've been working on it for hours. Thank you so much for any help.

[SETTINGS].log

log.txt

I tried adding that line enabled=false, didn't work. When I try to open pinball x, it says welcome to pinball x and the load screen comes up but then after a few minutes a window pops up that says it couldn't load. Any other ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

So, if it is showing another popup, it looks like it is not freezing.

According to your ini file you only have fx3 enabled and shows the last table it showed was worlwar hulkmarvel.

Did you setup all good within gamemanager ?

If you launch settings and got to the end, there is a validate button. Is that showing all correct ?

If you have the error, are you able to close pinballx and post the log.txt again ?

I enabled visual pinball too and made sure all the games were added in game manager. Still freezes up and eventually says pinball x not responding. When I verify setup under visual pinball and fx3 in red it says Launch Before Working Path (*.*): No files found in "C;\Users\user1".  In fx3 it also has the same thing and Launch After Working Path also

If you are invoking DMDext in your Launch Before working path, you need to get that out of "c:\users..." as that path has a higher level of elevation in Windows.  Perhaps creating a path/folder c:\dmdext and dropping dmdext files there will help.

The last entry in your log file is "Loading Game Statistics and Scores", in mine the line i have after that is "Main display running full screen windowed." so issue seems to have something to do with one of those lines activities. In your pinballx.ini file you don't have a line like "FullScreenWindowed=False" under the [Display] section which could relate to the info from the log files (there's actually a few lines missing when compared to mine).

Do you have a backup copy of the pinballx.ini file from when it was known to be working for comparison purposes?. If not try adding that line to the end of the [Display] section.

Also, please confirm  pinballx install location/path , if running as admin or not (via right click on pinballx.exe, properties, compatibility, run as administrator), and the exact error message that says unable to load (or screenshot it)

I tried adding that line and it didn't change anything. Unfortunately I don't have a backup of before it stopped working. I wish I did and will from now on, lesson learned. Here's a screenshot of what it looks like when it freezes and won't do anything else

Screenshot (1).png

Depending what you see in the event log it might also be worth temporarily  disabling any antivirus / Defender you have running and trying pinballx again, probably not a factor but worth ruling out. If event log clear and not related to anti virus then back up your pinballx media, database & config folders and uninstall / delete current installation completely. Reinstall the 32bit version and test, then copy your config, databases and media folders back across and retest.

Try installing on older version of PBX .. are you running in compatability mode or with Administration privileges?.

Also log the error and then google what it says... might tho up some info.

• 3 weeks later...

How Long have you actually waited on that screen.

Those not responding messages can happen when a program is doing a lot of (cpu intensive) work and you keep clicking on the gui it's all normal. Usually it happens if windows notices it doesn't react to certain wm_messages.

It might be a stupid idea but have you let it run for lets say 1-5 hours before killing it using that standard windows message ? If the program is still doing things it might come alive eventually.

Also on a side note, i also noticed my pinballx sometimes (seemingly) hanging on that screen, but my guess its doing things in the background perhaps when i added new tables and it uses some cache or so (not sure did not verify). But next time all is fine.

Even though it might seems stupid try letting it run for a long time and see if it eventually comes to live if it does close it and run again it might react more normal (you can also check cpu usage of pinball x in task manager, usually cpu usuage will take up one core in single threaded apps or 100% in a multithreaded app).

Eventlog won't help with not responding messages won't be helpfull, i can easily create a program that triggers this and it's generic case and in a lot of case you just need to wait longer (unless program has become stuck in an enless loop where it does not process the (wm) message queue)