All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Issues with lag and no video PinballX

DaBanan

Hi,

I’m quite new to all VP universe, but recently finished my first cabinet build and everything seems to go the right way expect a few issues i’m having.

1. First the playfieldvideo and BG freezes after scrolling trough the menu in Pinball X. I can still scroll through the tabels but the video and BG won’t show (music still plays right) Have 3 monitor setup with a 1070ti with latest drivers so it should be enough. I have only found one post with this issue and that was related to graphic card problem.  It seems that there are 2-3 games that trigger this, but have tried to change BG and playfeid video but no luck. 

2. When playing som tables the flippers starts to lag or locks up after a while. I can’t find a pattern when this happens, but I think is when it is a lot of load like in multiball. When I exit the table the lagging is still present in the PinballX table many. I’m running only VPX tables and have not tryed yet if the issues are present on other software.  When I run directly from the VPX I don’t have this problem? 

3. Every time I shutdown the computer completely it restore PinballX.ini to default? I normally shut down with power switch and have no problem when booting up again? Have tried to reinstall win, but same problem. 

Can also add that I’m running DOF if that have something to do with the issues I’m having. And the only solution to quick fix the problem for me now is to reboot, then the problems “go away” for a while..

hope u can help to track down the problems :) 

We will be glad to assist as we can, but before that can happen we need a few things from you.

First, please attach copies of your pinballx.ini and log.txt files in reply to this thread and whenever reporting a problem. This gives us a better peek at your system setup and any errors reported in the log file.

Second, did you install LAV codecs? These are generally recommended and can be found here. This may resolve some video display issues.

Third, are you running PinballX as Administrator? Doing so helps with some read/write issues.

Last, let the community "gurus" help you by working on one issue at a time. We may need to split out some of the issues into new threads as this makes it easier to track individual issues with separate solutions.

Thanks for reply and assistent! 

I will uppload the log file asap, curently out of town but will do that asa I get back. 

I reed about those codecs a few days ago, but don’t remember if I installed them. Anyway will try that, thanks.

As for administrator I’m running everything as administrator, and also checked every file for read and write rights.

Yes I agree there are many questions so there is no problem to split them. Just put all together when I thought they all wore connected :)

3. "I normally shut down with power switch and have no problem when booting up again? " Do you mean that you don't give a graceful shutdown, but just power off your machine?

What settings do you loose in the ini file? Did you check timestamp after rebooting, to see when the file was changed ?

If you configure DOF correctly. It will not affect anything (I guess you refer to the lag of your flippers)

Logfile and settings file will be a 'nice to have' to troubleshoot  (simulate your issue before posting logfile)

On 12/31/2018 at 5:16 PM, Mike_da_Spike said:

3. "I normally shut down with power switch and have no problem when booting up again? " Do you mean that you don't give a graceful shutdown, but just power off your machine?

Yeah, that would be a problem. I've inadvertently shut down power without shutting down windows before, and yes it did corrupt/reset the pinballx config.ini.

Don't do it, always shutdown windows first! - you're asking for problems if you don't, even hardware issues.

2 hours ago, scutters said:

Yeah, that would be a problem. I've inadvertently shut down power without shutting down windows before, and yes it did corrupt/reset the pinballx config.ini.

Don't do it, always shutdown windows first! - you're asking for problems if you don't, even hardware issues.

There is a shutdown option in the PinballX menu just for that purpose. ;)

Ok so I did some testing today:

1. I think the codecs soleved this, must have missed that. Thanks for the tip. The “lock up” is gone but I can not see the BG while scrolling through the tables. Game manager don’t report any thing missing, but there surely another post about this I’m happy one issu is solved :) 

2. The lag on the flippers and the frontend is still present, it did happen today while playing ACDC . But when I use the keyboard there is no lag , so could it be the Pinscape controllerboard? Bought the VirtuaPin “Digital Plunger Kit V3”. 

3. Did shut down normally today and the configuration was saved when it booted up again, so problem solved maby? :) Did not install a power on button for the PC Changed bios to boot after power loss. But I here you out it’s not the best solution, for now I can shut down windows normally(trough PinballX) , and then switch power off.

Thanks again for all help, have added the ini and log files if there is something strange with them. 

log.txt

PinballX.ini

8 hours ago, DaBanan said:

I can not see the BG while scrolling through the tables

Are you using the 64bit version? You have UseB2S=True in the ini file, B2S is 32bit so that could be a problem. If not try turning that feature off and using backglass videos instead.

9 minutes ago, DaBanan said:

Yes, I’m using 64-bit windows. There is no way to run it in compatible mode, if I do something with the files? 

Sorry...  i meant 64bit pinballx, should have been clearer. It's an option during pinballx install.

Ok, did not think about that, but will try to test some more today. I see BG on same tables so maybe it could be something with the BG files itself. Or else I will try to install the 32-bit version. Thanks for the tip!