All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Slingfront and Windows 10 1809 Update

Hiya

I have been using Slingfront for several years now and absolutely love it. However, the latest update to Windows 10 has thrown a spanner in the works. Slingfront still loads but is uncontrollable. And unresponsive. No keyboard controls work or my Flirc, the only response has been from Ctrl-Alt- Del and shutting it down.  It has been the same on 3 PCs.

I have reverted back from the update to the previous Windows 10 but it is only a matter of time before the update is required and then I will lose Slingfront.

Anyone seen the same problem or can suggest a fix?

• 2 months later...

I still use windows 7  for slingfront. Works fine, but only if slingfront can see out to the internet. I had to use my iphone to watch my OTA slingbox when ISP went down because slingfront would not list the slingboxes I have. ---- best of luck. 

• 4 months later...

Hey guys … running into same problem Humbug is describing above.  SlingFront is no longer controllable in Windows 10.  It doesn't seem to respond to keystrokes anymore.  Seems to be something to do with a recent update to Windows 10 as it was working when set up on my original Windows 10 machine back in November 2018.  My machine received an automated Windows 10 update in February of this year (2019) which caused SlingFront to no longer be controllable.  I wound up backing off the Windows 10 update which fixed the SlingFront problem.  The Windows 10 update has since reinstalled and has handcuffed SlingFront again.  I'm poking around the SlingFront code trying to debug the problem.  Will continue to try and troubleshoot the problem, but wondering if anyone else has experienced this with Windows 10 (or better yet, has found a solution to it : )  Cheers!!

• 3 months later...

Hey guys … just an update here … think I have figured out what the problem is with the Windows 10 update.  Did some playing around with the SlingFront code over the past couple days.  Think I've been able to trace the problem to the IsKeyDown() Function in the Keyboard.vb file.  This is the function that determines when the user presses a key on the keyboard.

Without getting into too much detail, the code is trying to check if both the MOST and LEAST significant bits are set in the GetAsyncKeyState() return value (which would mean the key was pressed since the last call to GetAsyncKeyState()).

It's checking for a return value of binary 1000 0000 0000 0001 … where both the MSB and LSB are set to 1.

I believe the problem is with the size of the integer variable.

The old code was checking against a GetAsyncKeyState() return value of -32767.

For a signed 16bit integer, 1000 0000 0000 0001 (or hexadecimal 8001) translates to -32767 (decimal) - as the MSB determines the sign

For a signed 32bit integer however, 1000 0000 0000 0001 translates to 32769 (as the register range has increased).

Changing the code to instead compare against a return value of 32769 (or just straight hexadecimal 8001) appears to fix the problem ...

Public Function IsKeyDown(ByVal K As Keys) As Boolean
        'If GetAsyncKeyState(K) = -32767 Then   '<-- THIS IS OLD CODE (NO LONGER WORKS PROPERLY IN WINDOWS 10 UPDATE)
        'If GetAsyncKeyState(K) = &H8001 Then   '<-- THIS CODE ALSO WORKS PROPERLY IN WINDOWS 10 UPDATE
        If GetAsyncKeyState(K) = 32769 Then     '<-- THIS NOW WORKS PROPERLY IN WINDOWS 10 UPDATE
            Return True
        End If
        Return False
    End Function

The SlingFront code stopped working after a recent Windows 10 update.  Not 100% sure WHY, but I suspect Microsoft must have done something in the last Windows 10 update that has changed something to do with the Integer size … couldn't find anything specific on the internet, but maybe the return value for GetAsyncKeyState() is now a 32bit integer??

Anyway, this change appears to have fixed the problem … I am now able to use SlingFront again as before : )

Hope this makes sense!!  Hope it helps.

j

• Thanks 1

Hey J, that sounds like great progress.  I am way behind you on ability to play with the code in Slingfront. Have you created a new .exe file that works and I could reinstall it? Otherwise, any chance of a dummies guide of what and how to make the changes.

Many thanks

Humbug

Hi Humbug : )  Sure, I can compile up a new .exe file for you.  Do you happen to know the version you're currently on??  The latest version I have is 1.46.  I think that's the last version that was put out.  I also have code for version 1.45.  Not sure what the differences are between the two?  But lemme know which one you have and I'll make the change and see how I can send it out to you.

Hey Humbug,

Try this …

SlingFront.zip 

I pulled the last version of code off sourceforge and updated the two spots where GetAsyncKeyState is called.

Tested it quick … believe it works.  I got the same 'control' problem in Windows 10 before the update.  After the modification, I'm able to interact with the interface again.

Hope it works for you as well.  Lemme know how it goes.

j

• Thanks 1

Hi Humbug … sorry, I didn't create an installation package or anything for the updated exe.  I just recompiled it with the modification.

I zipped up the file before posting it above … I wasn't sure if the forum would allow a direct post of an exe file.  I'm hoping you are able to unzip the file after downloading it from the above post … please let me know if you're running into a problem with that … I think native windows should allow you to directly extract the exe file.

Assuming you can get at the exe file, I also tried downloading it from my above post and running it from my download folder … doesn't seem to run there either … not sure exactly why, would have thought it would have worked from any folder … maybe a permissions issue?. 

Anyway, you should have the original slingfront.exe file installed in your 'Program Files (x86)/SlingFront' folder.  Rename the old exe file to slingfront.old and then copy the new exe file into that folder.  That should work.

• Thanks 1

Jethros:

Thanks so much for fixing this issue.  I still use win7 on all my home computers (I know support "ends" in January 2020), mainly just to run slingbox, but this might convert me....

The difference between the versions I think is that it doesn't list any slings past four. I have six (don't ask) and therefore cannot see my newest one (the 500). Is there a way you could modify that part of the code? It should be a simple comparison. I would love to see the whole list again.

My father in law has a win10 laptop and it used to work (I've not tried it in months on his PC). But this zip file does the trick.

Keyboard movements work again ! And I dislike using the slingplayerforWeb with its nucance ads. Happy Black Friday :)

Hey there SP2222,

I still have Win7 installed on our 'TV' computer down in the vacay house too … and have no plans to update it … it's only there to run SlingFront : )

But needed the fix for my laptop running Windows 10.

Will take a look this weekend at the code for displaying the number of slingboxes past 4 … should be able to fix that for you … and don't worry, won't ask about why you have six : )

Stay tuned!!

j

Hi SP2222,

Think I found where the code was limiting the number of Slingboxes to 5 … there was a change from version 1.46 to 1.6 around that piece of code.

NOTE:  I think the original intent was to limit the number of slingboxes to 5, but there was a bug in the 1.46 code that I think allowed for 6 … so think you were sorta just lucky before : )

I updated the 1.6 code to change the upper limit to 6.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to test the change as I only have a single Slingbox myself, but I think it should work (especially if you previously were able to have 6).

Will attach the updated exe file here …

SlingFront (SP2222).zip

Hope it works!!

j

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Jethros,

Awesome work. Thank you. I'm just running into this now. I rejected WIN10 for years but finally made the mistake of letting it in. The attachments for SP2222 are gone now. Is there a way you could report or send it out?

Thank you,

Vance

Hi Vance,

Been a bit since I last sent that file out : )  But I think this is what you're looking for ...

Just need to unzip it and copy it into your 'Program Files (x86)/SlingFront' folder.  You'll need to rename the old exe file first (to slingfront.old) and then copy the new exe file into that folder.  That should work.

Lemme know.  Good luck.

j

SlingFront (SP2222).zip

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering if my in laws win10 1909 has the old version as I went up there this weekend and it only listed four. It still list the 5 or 6 I have on win7 still. I use it daily. It's a shame sling/dish is letting server go when 11/2022 comes around

It's criminal. I bought my first two boxes in 2006 when it was your hardware and you configured the port forwarding and connected directly without needing to log in to slingmedia. Dish took over and broke my hardware. Of course those version ones were not HD but firmware for the newer models letting us have control back before they bail would be nice.