All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

3.29 upgrade has wrecked my installation

Mirkin

Hello  there.

Can Anybody help me please.

I just upgraded to V3.29 of PBX and now it will not work at all.

I did a 64Bit install as this is what my OS is and when I tried to run PBX the little circle spun a a short time and then nothing happened. I managed to run the lite version but there was no backglass image and I could not choose a table.

I decided to do a system restore and now when I try and run PBX i just get the message saying it has stopped working. It won't start at all.

The problem event name in the pop-up is CLR20r3.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks for looking.

I installed the 64 bit version. I'll have to check what version was installed.  I don't know what happened but I had to do a full system restore. Lot's of things stopped working like ultra DMD. My last save was from about 6 months ago so I lost a lot of stuff that I've set-up.

Oh Well

:(

Thats why the first thing i did when receiving my cab was setting up an incremental backup system so i have snapshots of all file changes. I use duplicati for this with 1tb onedrive. Although you can also set it up with extra disks if you prefer your cab to be offline. It applies to all things on pc ... But always make sure to have backups... I dont know about all the extra addons as i'm not using them but i do know plugins like dll's might fail to load when mixing 32 and 64bit. But i can't tell well nobody can except you how your system was setup.

But it could be the system restore might have broken more, i never use it and if i do it would only be as a last resort like if my windows would not boot but not for when software is not working as usually that can be fixed. Windows system restore also does not restore programs, well not if they are not from winows itselve, it's for the windows system but i do know it reverts registry changes. And vpinmame for example stores a lot of settings in the registry. There are valid reasons to still use 32bit versions of applications even though your windows is 64bit. Combatibility between programs and more specifically libraries (read dll) are one such thing.

I know it does not help much now but try getting basic things started again like pinballx without extras and build it up again piece by piece for your cab and once its working start making backups even if its just files manually copied to external disks in foldernames with dates. It will not have backed up everything since some things are stored in windows registry and you would need a full system backup software for this like making images of partitions etc but its better than nothing when doing it frequently

I hope you can get it all working again but do it one step at a time not all at once it might save you some trouble.

Btw about has stopped working messages, windows event viewer should have created more details about the event like exception codes etc and also specifying program and or module sometimes (read dll) where it happened. A text like "CLR20r3" does not say much unless someone recognizes wich program it shows. But with program has stopped working message i've never seen such a thing usually the it's the exception code and related modules (binaries / dll's) that might give clues. but mixing 32 & 64 bit binaries might give windows messages about this program has stopped working. Basically it means a program has had an unhandled exception and "windows (program) error watchdog" has killed the app thats usually the cause but it could also happen due to system files being messed up. But upgrading pinballx does not cause such things mixing 32 & 64 *might* cause such messages poping up or registry corruptions etc

Thanks for the the very detailed help Joyrider.

I spent a lot of time today fixing things and have got my system somewhere close to where it was before. I never usually install software on my cab without making a full back-up just before and that has saved me many times. I took the chance because PBX has never given me any issues before now.

My cab runs smoother without PBX anyway (I have fixed PBX) so I'm running VPX without a front end and it's not such an issue to me.

;)

• Like 1