All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

FX3 4k Table Videos

BrandonLaw

After making FX3 a permanent staple in my line-up as I'm seemingly enjoying it more and more, I realized none of you savages have 4k table videos recorded...and if you do, they aren't on the FTP.  FINE...I guess I'll do it :D 

I've recorded all 80 whatever tables are current through William's Vol 2.  I was shooting for the 30 second mark to keep them around 200mb apiece, but I have been drunking.  

....Seriously...you're savages.

/-PinballX-/Other Uploads/BrandonLaw

Also to note....it's 13ish GB.  It's still uploading at 10+mbit.  Hold yer horses.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Carny_Priest said:

Dayum! There's probably something you can do to get the frickin file sizes down. Adjust your crf or qp flags. 13Gb is probably larger than the entire game with all DLC. Sober up. After all, these are just attract videos, so lossless Dolby Atmos is way overkill.  

But...I know in my heart they are pretty and that is priceless.  (if I knew what a crf or qp was, I'd have a better answer)

• Like 2

PBXRecorder and I believe the recording features in PinballX (I have not tested) capture video in a 2-step process.

The initial capture dumps raw frames into a container. It takes this approach because compressing video is a CPU intensive process in itself, so intensive that it may cause slowdown/dropped frames in the game that you are trying to capture which you don't want.

The second step happens after the capture. The video is processed to precisely cut the length to the right time (30 seconds, 60 seconds, or whatever) and to compress frames so that file size is manageable. OBS Studio and many freeware video editing suites are based on ffmpeg. In ffmepg, the crf or qp flags are compression quality level parameters in the H.264 codec (the one that is commonly used for mp4 format) that can be used to find the desired level of quality versus size in the output file. The higher the number used in the flag the higher the compression but the less quality. Even picking a value close to the middle will produce output with substantial savings in file size with an imperceptible impact on quality. PBXRecorder has a default crf value of 26, as I recall, which favors a little bit more on smaller size versus quality. This gets the target length for a full HD video, 60 seconds, to about 15 to 20 Mb. Yes, 4K would be larger but not even close to 200 Mb for 30 seconds.

Hey, but it's not my server and it's not my bandwidth. If people have the hardware and hard drive space to handle this, then more power to them.

Don't get me wrong. I'm usually the HQ at all costs guy. I look for 2000 px wide wheel images and 300 dpi flyer scans for my media. I've redrawn hundreds of instruction cards to ensure all the sources are vector-based or highest quality raster and all fonts are accurate. And I'm muttering to myself, "Jeez! Tone it down, friend.". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carny_Priest said:

PBXRecorder and I believe the recording features in PinballX (I have not tested) capture video in a 2-step process.

The initial capture dumps raw frames into a container. It takes this approach because compressing video is a CPU intensive process in itself, so intensive that it may cause slowdown/dropped frames in the game that you are trying to capture which you don't want.

The second step happens after the capture. The video is processed to precisely cut the length to the right time (30 seconds, 60 seconds, or whatever) and to compress frames so that file size is manageable. OBS Studio and many freeware video editing suites are based on ffmpeg. In ffmepg, the crf or qp flags are compression quality level parameters in the H.264 codec (the one that is commonly used for mp4 format) that can be used to find the desired level of quality versus size in the output file. The higher the number used in the flag the higher the compression but the less quality. Even picking a value close to the middle will produce output with substantial savings in file size with an imperceptible impact on quality. PBXRecorder has a default crf value of 26, as I recall, which favors a little bit more on smaller size versus quality. This gets the target length for a full HD video, 60 seconds, to about 15 to 20 Mb. Yes, 4K would be larger but not even close to 200 Mb for 30 seconds.

Hey, but it's not my server and it's not my bandwidth. If people have the hardware and hard drive space to handle this, then more power to them.

Don't get me wrong. I'm usually the HQ at all costs guy. I look for 2000 px wide wheel images and 300 dpi flyer scans for my media. I've redrawn hundreds of instruction cards to ensure all the sources are vector-based or highest quality raster and all fonts are accurate. And I'm muttering to myself, "Jeez! Tone it down, friend.". 

This guy.  

:D:D:D:D:D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

These look great but the audio glitches out on me (while in PinballX) at the end of the file.

The audio starts stuttering instead of looping properly after the first play through of the file, I run the attract rotation at 30 seconds per table so it matters beyond the first table. ;)

Thank you for the work, they do look fantastic. I am using the required codec pack with Win10-64 so not sure if something else is required beyond that in order for these to have proper audio (or maybe a setting I am overlooking, IDK).

Is there a way to prevent the audio from playing back via the Table Video and use a Table Audio file instead...?

Thanks again!

*** Two seconds of looking... and the fix is to turn off audio playback for videos (in Audio settings) and run Table Audio files instead. :) ***

• 2 months later...
On 3/20/2019 at 8:52 PM, jdsabin1 said:

Brandon - Any chance you are going to upload the videos for the new tables just released (Safe Cracker, Theater of Magic and Safe Cracker)? Please? :)

Hey!  I haven't even installed the new pack.  Kids, life, work, drinking...you know...the common stuff that gets in the way.  I'll get to it this weekend as I wanna play, but we all know can't play unless it looks good getting there first! :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alrighty...full disclosure here....I do NOT remember how I encoded the last set in December!  The file properties are blank with what was used to encode those things. (Nvidia states "shadowplay" if you use that.  I feel I used BandiCam, but had lossless chosen instead of literally ANY compression.) Anyhow, I've gotten a hold of bandicam again (new PC since then) and that seems to have done the trick a bit better.  Files are about half the size with better compression and still 4k.  I can't see any difference between the files other than the size with the nekkid eye.  

Separate the BrandonLaw/FX3 4k Table Videos directory by date modified to see the three newbies as they are already properly named. 

Also, how can we get access to delete files as some jakko plopped a couple of files in my dirs that are not meant to be there.

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, BrandonLaw said:

Also, how can we get access to delete files as some jakko plopped a couple of files in my dirs that are not meant to be there.

PM @Tom Speirs and provide him with a list of the files and path they are found asc he is the one with that level of access.

• 2 months later...
On 6/11/2019 at 1:46 PM, joyrider3774 said:

mine are full hd not 4k

Gotcha!

I will upload mine in the weekend when I have access to the cabinet
Latest flying tables uploaded in 4k and latest Fx3  XML uploaded

Edited by Mike_da_Spike
Video's upload
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Hey Brandon, I know it's a while ago since you did these but I thought I'd say a massive thank you. I've only just got into the Pinball scene and I'm trying to make my cab look as good as possible and these 4k vids really make a difference over the shoddy 1080p ones haha!

Thanks again!

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, jdsabin1 said:

It's been a few years. Anyone have a 4k of the new IJ table? I wish it was easy to simply record these videos but I have struggled to find directions and/or a program that can do it. Thx. 

Didnt bought it yet.no time (and reviews shows it is too expensive)

Normally I create flying videos in 4k with the nvidia driver and pbx. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2022 at 1:10 PM, jdsabin1 said:

It's been a few years. Anyone have a 4k of the new IJ table? I wish it was easy to simply record these videos but I have struggled to find directions and/or a program that can do it. Thx. 

I created a flying over video 4k and a backglass video (based on DDH69 backglass)
Uploaded to the ftp 
image.thumb.png.a6f11923923c807bedd06399eebc7244.png 

• Like 1