All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Some Mame games not showing up in GameEX

r3b0rn

I have seem similar posts but I believe i have tried the fixes.  Many games are not showing inside of GameEX even though they are in the designated ROMS folder and are playable through MAME outside of GAMEEX.  I have turned off filtering, and set it to allow nonworking roms, as well as adding the games to the no filter list.  Some of the games missing are all the Street Fighter series, Tekken, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  There are thousands of games showing and playing correctly.  I have updated the list several times also.

Thanks and let me know what logs/configs you need :)

Edited by tthurman
Moved: GameEx>General

Best to attach copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt files when reporting an issue as they are almost always needed when troubleshooting. 

Please do so. Also, what version of MAME are you using? Are the ROMS the same version?

That is QUITE an old version (around 2001 I think). Some will chastise me for suggesting this but I strongly recommend upgrading your MAME and ROMs to the latest 0.204 version to get the most you can out of MAME and ensure better compatibility with GameEx's integrated support.

@r3b0rn You did not mention whether the Mame version matches the rom version. Mismatched versions are certainly a reason that games may not populate to the list.

I also notice that you are using a pretty good rig. I know that there are some legacy Mame version that have features that newer version may not have. Is there a reason that you are currently using 0.49u1?

Also, after a bit of searching, I am having trouble finding a reference to 0.49 or 0.49u1 roms. Are you certain that is the Mame version and rom set version you are have? If you still recall where you got the Mame executable from, that may help (assuming it was not from a site that hosts roms - we want to stay away from that sort of conversation).

And in response to Draco, since we do want GameEx to be compatible with older versions of Mame, we should try to see if we can help with his current Mame files. I will agree that 0.49 is pretty old, but on the off chance that there is some sort of problem with GameEx's interaction with those types of old sets, it may not be a bad idea to troubleshoot it through.

My rationale is that there cones a point where the rest of the frontend and other support has "moved on" and you risk the chance of a sliding scale of additional issues to troubleshoot when an upgrade would have sufficed.

Perhaps I need to take off my IT System Administrator hat and throw caution to the wind, but then I wouldn't be the me that everyone loves, right?B)

Not to sound like I don't know what I am doing but... :) I have generally just compiled the games over the years.  I have heard/known of MAME rom versions, but the ROMS I have had worked so I didn't worry about it.  Does that mean that MAME roms will need to be updated based on the version of MAME you are running?  I will try using the most current MAME version and see what happens.

Thanks!

As a general rule, it is a best practice to have the version of the ROMS matched to the version of MAME you are running.  Adding as you go can be problematic and result in some odd errors.

When a new version of MAME is released the romsets are rebuilt to work with it.  Is everything affected, no, but given enough version releases the number of titles affected also increases.   If this weren't the case then there would be no reason whatsoever to ever update the sets with the one possible exception of adding titles.   That said if you are one or two releases off, probably not going to be a big deal.

If you are using clrmamepro to create a dat and rebuild your sets to an older exe, then you shouldn't have any trouble as long as you have the rollback to do it with.  Still, you are giving up a lot of advancements using such an old build.   To each his own, however.  Admittedly I haven't bothered with this method in years now.

Still, there are some settings in the integrated mame section of gameex that have direct corelation to missing titles.

Test some things:

Set "verify roms" to false

set to allow imperfect....etc... and update GameEx upon launch to see if those you're looking for have returned.

Advance MAME settings

• Like 1

7 hours ago, r3b0rn said:

Not to sound like I don't know what I am doing but... :) I have generally just compiled the games over the years.  I have heard/known of MAME rom versions, but the ROMS I have had worked so I didn't worry about it.  Does that mean that MAME roms will need to be updated based on the version of MAME you are running?  I will try using the most current MAME version and see what happens.

Thanks!

Yes. As the Mame executable evolves, new fixes are implemented to solve various problems with roms. Sometimes these fixes also require one or more roms to be adjusted to a new version. Sometimes the changes are minor, sometimes significant. The very best results for Mame compatibility is to use the same version of Mame with the same version of roms (such as Mame 0.78 with a Mame 078 rom set). If you try to use a more recent version of Mame with an old rom set or vice versa, if the changes between versions are minor things may work just fine. However, the further apart in versions, the more changes, and possibly more incompatibility.

You can manually recompile your roms to a later version using CLRmamepro, but that takes a little knowhow.

Mame executable and rom set mismatch is very common. At one time I also thought that you could just dump a set patch into an existing set to update the entire set.