All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Selecting voice used for the speech plugin?

joyrider3774

Hey,

I'm not sure it's configurable and if it is it's probably related to windows (10) settings but if i use the speech plugin on my main pc i hear a womans (cortona's ?) voice, if i use the speech plugin on my cabinet i hear a men's voice. Which settings control the voice, i'm guessing it must be something windows related as it's probably using some of it's features although i'm not sure. Both my main pc as my cabinet pc use windows 10, what i did not verify however is what version / build of windows 10 is installed on my cabinet. I know my main pc has 1809 home edition, so it has the latest october update already. Does anyone know why i hear a mens voice on my cab and a woman's voice on my main pc. I rather have the woman's voice on my cabinet as well instead of the man's voice.

2 hours ago, scutters said:

Don't use the speech plugin but i assume it is the windows voice too.

Try windows settings -> speech -> text to speech -> voice

The thing is i already tried that, but i both my windows versions text to speech is disabled in the settings yet pinballx can still play it. I even tried selecting the woman's voice and then disabling it again but did not seem to have an effect

4 hours ago, joyrider3774 said:

The thing is i already tried that, but i both my windows versions text to speech is disabled in the settings yet pinballx can still play it. I even tried selecting the woman's voice and then disabling it again but did not seem to have an effect

Ahh.. you need to change it in the sapi control panel - of course!!, nicely hidden away by MS. 

Run C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, scutters said:

Ahh.. you need to change it in the sapi control panel - of course!!, nicely hidden away by MS. 

Run C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl

thanks a lot that actually made me able to change it between woman (zira) and men's (david) voice on my main pc so i'm guessing it will work on my cab as well. I can only try it out during the weekend as i'm moving my cab from work to my home place tommorow evening.

btw on my main pc i was able to unlock another voice (eva mobile) using this https://windowsreport.com/unlock-new-text-to-speech-voice-windows-10/ 

In case anyone is wondering where windows has hidden this, the "gui" way to access it is the following: 

1. open control panel (not settings)
  2. goto speech Recnognition section
  3. click text to speech on the left menu (the eva voice only showed up after applying the reg tweak from above link when going to it using this way). 
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scutters said:

If you find a voice that sounds like the terminator i might enable the plugin myself! :D

I have not been able to install customn voices, i did find a page that have customn voices but they don't show up under the sapi control panel (they do in the other / settings speech settings), some do actually but windows tell me it can't be used. The zira womans one does sound a bit more robotisch, i'm currently using that eva mobile voice because of that :)