All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

MAME error

Pirat

My guess is that you have titles being kicked that likely work well enough to play due to the below settings.

I would recommend you try setting these to false (independently, together or a mix)  and launch GameEx and update to see how many titles show up.

OnlyWorking=True

VerifyRoms=True

Only Working Games

Only list MAME games where the driver is known to be fully working. In addition AllowImperfect allows a driver status of IMPERFECT to pass as working. In newer versions of MAME, games such as Galaga havea Driver Status as IMPERFECT although run very well. Set AllowImperfect to True to allow these games not to be filtered when OnlyWorking is set to True. Default for AllowImperfect is True.

I take it from your post that you've updated to a recent release of MAME and in the process lost 1000 some odd titles.

That being the case, did you also update your set also?  A MAME release with an unmatched set release will create issues such as this since the changes, no matter how subtle, have a direct effect on the game titles themselves.

That's the only other thing that comes to mind currently.

Did you confirm as @tthurman requested whether or not your version of MAME matches the MAME ROMS in your collection? 

Another thing since you purchased an old machine, you will want to ensure that you are running a much more recent version with a matched set of ROMs.

2 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Did you confirm as @tthurman requested whether or not your version of MAME matches the MAME ROMS in your collection? 

Another thing since you purchased an old machine, you will want to ensure that you are running a much more recent version with a matched set of ROMs. 

where to get the full collection of these roms in one archive
I had 3091 Roma

That is up to you as we do not supply ROMS or discuss how or where to acquire (against forum rules).

This is where you will have to educate yourself, but suffice it to say, if the ROMs and MAME version don't match, and the ROMs are not working well outside of GameEx, then there isn't much that can be done.