All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Working through DMDext and DOFLinx setup for FX3

tkolakow

Hello everyone.....

A quick question.  I have a batch file set up that kicks off both DMDext and DOFLinx, that I want to use in PinballX , but for some reason it will not work when called using the run before option for FX3.  It only seems to run the first of the two commands in the batch file.  I've toggled them around just to see if it was one or the other not working, but whichever is set as number 1 in the batch file works.  The second doesnt. 

If I am outside of PinballX, and run the exact same batch file before running the FX3 shortcut on my desktop, it works just fine and both programs run with FX3, giving me feedback/lighting and also the DMD capture as expected.

I'm confused as to why this is as it is.  PinballX seems to be limiting something with the execution of the batch file.  I've tried several ways of getting both to work via the single batch file without success within PinballX that still worked with FX3 outside of the launcher, so it's going to take someone smarter than I to get it to work I'm guessing, which wont be hard to find here... LOL

I've attached the batch file that is working outside of PinballX.  If someone could review it and let me know what I'm maybe doing wrong that would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, I've yet to set up B2S for FX3, but maybe that's what I should do (which would eliminate the need for DOFLinx) and then simply call DMDext via PinballX's run before which I would think would eliminate the issue altogether?  I've been able to run both individually via passing parameters to either of the .exe's from the run before for FX3 so I'm sure that would work.  I do remember trying to get B2S running for FX2 a while back and never could (it runs flawlessly for VP9 and VPX).

Thanks in advance for any responses and/or assistance!

FX3_start.bat

as a followup, if I run the batch file manually, then enter PinballX (with the run before and run after batch flies disabled in the PBX setup), everything works fine.  Even changing between FX3 and VPX and back..... so maybe I should forgo the run before/after calls?

Strange.

Maybe stupid question, but why a batch file ? I have doflinks setup to run at my system startup and runs in the background ), then i will run dmdext from pinballx command line (no wait)., bu close on exit paramters

This works like a charm for me

See screenshot below for my pinballX settins

image.thumb.png.bfd5a78ec162d60058ea5caf9dceed61.png

Thanks Draco for reviewing the files.  I appreciate your assistance.

Mike, sure, that's a non-issue as long as it wont conflict with anything else in the cab.  As my testing the other day confirmed, it seems that there's no real reason to kill either of the processes if you're toggling between the various emulations while staying in PinballX, so that's a good thing and supports your recommendation.

I'm going to set that up tonight and play around with it before tackling my next issue (upgrading to the latest version of PinballX, which doesnt want to function for me - looks to be that I need to ensure the 32 bit version is being installed and not the 64 bit - I am not able to even get into PinballX's table selection interface without it freezing).  I'll be sure to create another thread for that if I'm unable to resolve it.

Thanks for the reply Mike!  I'll let you know how it goes, which I'm assuming will be fine. 

I don't have any issues when running doflinks in the background.

I use my cab only for pinball : vp9,vpx an fx3 tables. (I stopped with the pinball arcade)

So not sure if your cab will have issues with doflinks running in the background.

If so, another solution will be to launch doflinks when pinballx is starting and killing on exit of pinballx

9 minutes ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

I don't have any issues when running doflinks in the background.

I use my cab only for pinball : vp9,vpx an fx3 tables. (I stopped with the pinball arcade)

So not sure if your cab will have issues with doflinks running in the background.

If so, another solution will be to launch doflinks when pinballx is starting and killing on exit of pinballx

I'm in the same boat.... it's dedicated to pinball only - VP9, VPX and FX3.  So my guess is that it'll be ok also.

Hopefully I can get on the cab tonight and finalize this along with the PinballX upgrade issue.  Thanks again for your help!

looks like we're in business...... I've got both working now by calling them both outside of the system on startup. 

Using your exact setup configuration other than the delay on the startup of 20 seconds, I was not getting any dmdtext output.  So I'll need to play around with the settings to figure out how much of a delay is required to get it to work.  Starting them both before entering PinballX works flawlessly.

I'll need to migrate the dmdext startup back into PinballX at some point I would think to allow for it to be toggled off and on based on whether or not I'm in FX2 (to run the couple of tables that were not moved over to FX3 due to licensing, assuming they're still runnable) or FX3 so that the process is monitoring which ever of the two processes is active.

I figured it's probably a good idea at this point to switch my focus to the PinballX upgrade issue, which I may try to tackle tomorrow night.  Didnt have enough time to do anything with it this evening.

Thanks again to everyone for your help...... it was greatly appreciated!