All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Setting up MAME in Pinballx

designone

Hi 

I am setting up a pincab and I have downloaded some mame videos from the ftp site (what a great resource that is, this site is so fortunate that so many members have made so many things available. 

I loved the way mame games look on the pinball setup. and want to include about 50 mame games but I can't seem to get it running on my mame set up. It was able to just be enabled and even populated with a few tables I didn't even have? but thetable videos looked great and spurred me to put some tables I like to play on my Pinballx setup.

However I moved the directory to the d: drive and the mame folder on that drive and now it won't see the roms or populate in any way. 

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong in the settings.

Thank-you

mame_2.png.8320f32f18379ced27d7828053805ba5.png

I tried that as well and it didn't find the roms either way. I think its likely something simple like that. The other items were easy to set up.

VISUAL PINBALL AND FUTURE PINBALL and Fx3 all went without any trouble. But mame is not seeing the roms

PBX doesn't scan your roms folder to generate a game listing, it reads an XML file to generate that listing.

If you have the games listed in GameEX that you want shown in PBX then it's a simple mater of copying over the XML at location *GameEx\DATA\PINBALLX* VERTICAL.XML or w/e you want to use.

In the setup wizard of PBX it must be [TABLEFILE] and are you sure your executable is named mame.exe?  It's usually mame64.exe due to 64-bit being the best these days.

Is MAME working and launching games outside of PBX? You might need to adjust rompath option in mame.ini

• Like 2

I have not used Gameex. In future pinball and Visual pinball I just need to run the game manager for pinball and it populates itself with whatever files it sees in the table folder. I assume it would be the same in the mame option. MAME runs fine outside of pinball and I have named the MAME  executable  as mame.exe I don't understand why it is not behaving the same as visual and future pinball  and Fx3

Download GameEx, configure the integrated MAME settings for the location of your MAME executible and ROMS, run GameEx and update list when prompted.  

Once completed, several XML files are created. Setup MAME as another program in PinballX.

This is very high level and a little time consuming, but not difficult.

Of course, if you look more in the forums, you may find an MAME XML file already created.;)

• Like 1

Thank-you All for your help. I think I am getting closer to the answer.

I am going with installing Gameex and making an xml. So far Im ok but Gameex finds 11000 games. I have set it to D: mame  

How do I tell it to make an xml from that directory?

Got it,

I used andyco  settings in Gameex

I ran Gameex , updated list and  transfered the files that were all generated as Draco1962 said   

Found the files at *GameEx\DATA\PINBALLX* and transford files to Pinballx  as B2K24 suggested and its all good now

Thank-you all very much