All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Recording video's for pinball FX (2/3) related questions

joyrider3774

Hey,

I can't really tell at what table view the existing video's i had found on the ftp are recorded from pinball fx2 / 3. I want to record video's for my missing tables using shadow play (nvidia recording). I think the most viable views are either view 2 or 7. I recorded yesterday some of the williams tables already in pinball fx3 i made playfield video's for both the plain table view (without added extra's like the 3d models) as well as with the extra models and i recorded them in view 2 and 7 but i'm not sure which one people usually use.

Also which would be recommended as the default one (the one named after game name) view 2 or 7 and with the extra models enabled or without them ? 

When i'm finished i can upload them to the ftp for other people to use and i could upload all the versions i create (4 video's per table 2 views once with and once without extra's enabled) but i'd like to know suggestions about this for which to be the default

I also have problem when recording video's in pinball fx3 using nvidia shadow play features. It seems all saved video files from this game have around second 1-2 some corrupt frame. When i play the unprocessed video in vlc i quickly see a green screen, when i post process using ffmpeg, ffmpeg mentions something about this in the console window and i think it erases that "block" because afterwards when i view the movie processed with ffmpeg i do not see that green screen anymore but i do see a small hickup at the time it used to encounter that green screen. It is noticiable if you look at it but for media usuage i think it might be fine. I'm just wondering if someone else had this problem with pinball fx3 recordings & nvidia shadow play ?

People are going to want one of everything. If you want to and have the time to do the view 2 and 7 for both the classic and PB FX3 extras, then, by all means, do so. If not, then I recommend going with the standard table view (I assume this is view 2 with no flyover or other effects, just table sitting in idle mode) for both classic and extras.

Personally, while I like the classic Williams tables, the ones with the PB FX3 Extras look great and are more consistent with the other PB FX3 tables when sitting in attract mode on my system, but others may prefer the classic view better.

5 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

People are going to want one of everything. If you want to and have the time to do the view 2 and 7 for both the classic and PB FX3 extras, then, by all means, do so. If not, then I recommend going with the standard table view (I assume this is view 2 with no flyover or other effects, just table sitting in idle mode) for both classic and extras.

Personally, while I like the classic Williams tables, the ones with the PB FX3 Extras look great and are more consistent with the other PB FX3 tables when sitting in attract mode on my system, but others may prefer the classic view better.

The reason why view 2 and view 7 got me confused is because view 2 seems to show less than view 7 but i think view 7 is somewhat more angled.

I provided 2 screenshots to show the diffrence in fish tales:

View 2:

view2.thumb.jpg.9214dfe205a8a179937dc115b5f73384.jpg

view 7

1341523112_view7.thumb.jpg.3c0a223cea46142a8b02e570b90d258b.jpg

I think that the straight top-down view without the forced perspective at the top looks the best for attract mode and consistency with the other PBX table videos. Would that be view 1?

26 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

I think that the straight top-down view without the forced perspective at the top looks the best for attract mode and consistency with the other PBX table videos. Would that be view 1?

it's actually view 2, not 1 the top image. I just noticed on other tables the distinction is more clear. Also view 1 on medi evil madness shows a bit of the "backbox" while in view 2 it does not.

view 1: (notice the williams text on the right on the backbox)

view1.thumb.jpg.170791072637af12bd27f802fe64e7be.jpg

view 2 (has not shown the williams text)

view2.thumb.jpg.f1fa8f6d9972745c7d8b3a9c3132ce2e.jpg

I actually started recording in view 2 & 7 both alternate and classic version. People can still choose but i do think the top one is the best also especially compared to other tables where the diffrences are more clear. Maybe i keep doing it this way. If they only release 3-4 table per williams volume pack it won't be much of an hassle to record them.

I also noticed some tables use a pattern in attract mode, like it repeats after a while or it suddenly does something different. Medie evil madness is such table as well as the yunkyard one (but i think in yunkyard it could be they explain the table a bit, i'm not sure as my dmd was hidden while recording), in fish tales it's not as clear. So when recording i tried to record a full pattern and this results in variable length video's. If there are no patterns i could recognize i just record a one minute video.

I'll upload the video's for volume pack 1 later this evening and start a new topic, and when volume pack 2 comes out on december 4th i'll make those video's as well using the same system. unless i should just remove view 7 video's if they are not going to be used and keep it to 2 video's per table alternate and classic view. It's just that i have them now for 3 out of 4 tables for volume 1 pack

Again, just my opinion, but the top-most image looks best to me but only because the second one has Williams showing with a black box beneath the text in the top-right (or top-left if looking at it in portrait mode) that doesn't look right.

In re-looking at them, I like the view in view 7 as it shows the lower deck details even more so. 

Do what you can - some are going to prefer view 2 and others view 7 for each alternate and classic views. Yeah, the more I look at it the better I like view 7.

Yes, there is a sequence with a table's attract mode and sometimes the attract mode has lighting behavior that corresponds to information shown on the DMD. A tool like PBXRecorder is designed to do simultaneous captures of multiple screens. It's an attractive solution. I'm not sure about PinballX's native support for media generation. I haven't tested it.

1 hour ago, Carny_Priest said:

Yes, there is a sequence with a table's attract mode and sometimes the attract mode has lighting behavior that corresponds to information shown on the DMD. A tool like PBXRecorder is designed to do simultaneous captures of multiple screens. It's an attractive solution. I'm not sure about PinballX's native support for media generation. I haven't tested it.

Hey,

Perhaps you should try it and report back on it?

If it's not working how it should be I would like to put it right.

PinballX can use hardware such as shadow play so it should be able to offer better capture.

Thanks.

Tom.

4 hours ago, Carny_Priest said:

Yeah i understand that now, unfortunatly i only have one screen attached on my main pc so i can not record from multiple screens. I'm not even sure shadow play can record from multiple screens if multiple screens are being used with a game (i never tried it). The cab i ordered will also only have 2 screens. I intially tried using a modified version of pbxrecorder that used obs studio for zaccaria but i could not get it working at all thats why i reverted to recording the playfield only with shadowplay by just pressing the record button with modified script.

It would indeed be better to record everything at once especially for these williams tables so dmd is synced with what happens with the lightning and possible explanations (on the dmd). For these tables i was actually recording some manually so i would get the complete pattern (but without dmd) and some just one minute recording (like fish tales one). I'll have to find a solution for this somehow and it's possible shadowplay (if it can't record from multiple screens at once) can not be used then.

8 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

Hey,

Perhaps you should try it and report back on it?

If it's not working how it should be I would like to put it right.

PinballX can use hardware such as shadow play so it should be able to offer better capture.

Thanks.

Tom.

I would if I could, but my cab has not been working for many months. Just chiming in here because I do know something about the external recording apps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey i just recorded DMD + playfield for both Williams volume 1 & 2. 
I don't know if the dmd's are perfectly synced (only one you can tell on is junkyard) since i was using virtual monitors over network so i don't know if this introduce some latency in recording from screen (which was actually my phone displaying the dmd) and on my main pc i only have one physical screen so i can not verify either. In any case some video's are short some longer it all comes from me trying to guess when to stop the video to create a loop. I'm sure the loops are not all good, but these are the video's i'll be using in my cabinet (which arrives on friday) so i thought i upload them to the ftp in case anyone wants to try them.

Playfield video's are 1920x1080 recorded on view 2, DMD videos are 1920x502 both at 30fps without audio. My inintial recordings were 1040x272 but i made a mistake in ffmpeg again and i lost original video's as i had overwritten them with the postprocessed ones so i can not get them back  and don't want to restart recording everything again. ffmpeg basically resized the intial video size of 1040x272 video to 1920x502. which is basically the same aspect ratio. I tested them on pinballx and they played / showed fine.

i have recorded both alternate (= extra zen stuff added) and normal view / art style each with their own dmd video so 7 (tables) x 2 (dmd) x 2 (versions) equaling 28 video's 

They are located on the ftp in the folder /-PinballX-/Other Uploads/Joyrider3774/Pinball FX3 

Maybe it can help someone or someone has some use for them