All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Xpadder Plugin: Game Specific Settings Are Not Loaded

Alan Ribas

good morning people. With xpadder finally running on my computer (Thanks Adultery and Draco1962). I started to use it. However the specific settings I make for the SATURN system are not loaded at the time the game is started. Instead of the specific settings, the general settings are loaded.

I have already checked, and re-marked these options and simply do not load the configuration files made specifically for the game.

Can someone help me?

ps. in other systems the specific configuration is normally loaded.

1.png

2.png

GameEx.ini

log.txt

settings.temp.xml

settings.xml

xpadder.log

I suspect it's because the zip file is named differently than the rom inside it, and the profile is looking for the name of the zip. I'll see what I can do about it, but it won't be until later this evening since I'm on my way to work.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adultery said:

I suspect it's because the zip file is named differently than the rom inside it, and the profile is looking for the name of the zip. I'll see what I can do about it, but it won't be until later this evening since I'm on my way to work.

I followed your suggestion and changed the name of the rom. And the specific xapdder configuration was loaded. You were right Adultery.:)

But the Master System games are also with different names.
For example:

Monica at Dragon Castle.zip
Monica at Dragao Castle (Brazil) .sms

To make a test I made the specific configuration of this game also yesterday. And the specific configuration was loaded.:blink:

In the past I had problems with the games because I renamed them. So I took the habit of not changing the original names of the roms I get.

It's strange that on most systems I have. All except SATURN different names of roms do not interfere in loading of specific configuration.
Could this issue be solved in any way with an Xpadder update?

Yeah I can fix it, it's not an issue. I just have to carve out the time to do it. It's really not a problem at all, I just need to grab the name of the file inside the archive myself since GameEx's internal variable is passing me the archive name. This will inadvertantly fix GoodMerge support too, although it hasn't come up yet. :)

I'll push out a plug-in update sometime this evening after my 2yo goes to bed.

• Thanks 1

Whelp, this might not be as easy as I thought. GameEx never passes me the archive name. For the emulators you're having an issue with... Can you just uncheck the "zip/7z/GoodMerge" option in the emulators settings? There's really no good way for me to get around this easily unfortunately... I'll do some more digging around.

I may add a browse button in the GUI so you can click the game directly in Windows to get the file name, but that could be messy.

18 minutes ago, Adultery said:

Whelp, this might not be as easy as I thought. GameEx never passes me the archive name. For the emulators you're having an issue with... Can you just uncheck the "zip/7z/GoodMerge" option in the emulators settings? There's really no good way for me to get around this easily unfortunately... I'll do some more digging around.

I may add a browse button in the GUI so you can click the game directly in Windows to get the file name, but that could be messy.

I understand Adultery. If the gameex does not give you the information is really complicated.

I'll unzip the roms from the Saturn video game. But will it be that if I leave each game in a respective folder with the different name of the file will there be the same problem?

Regarding what I said about adding a button in the GUI I did not understand anything you said.

You don't need to unzip them, most emulators can take them as zip files. Just uncheck the option in the emulators settings in GameEx, don't do anything to the actual files. It'll probably be fine unless you have multiple files in the archive.

I asked Tom for a variable, I'll wait and see what he says. Don't worry about my random musings. :)

Wait, I'll have to re-read your comments... The example I saw was for Master System. Your Saturn archives are junked up too? 7-zip saves so much space...

Let me see if I can work out a regex that looks for the file name without bracketed text if it can't find a match, that might be useful for you if your archives are just clean ROM names.

Argh, I'm just gonna deal with this my own way and pull in a dll, add a button to the Xpadder settings and have it display a list of files inside the archive so you can click the rom file.

So in Xpadder Plug-in, you'd select the game from the drop-down, click a button, and a pop-up will list all the files in the archive. That way, you can specify profiles for every rom in the zip file for GoodMerge.

I'll stop being lazy now. ;)

7 minutes ago, Adultery said:

Wait, I'll have to re-read your comments... The example I saw was for Master System. Your Saturn archives are junked up too? 7-zip saves so much space...

Let me see if I can work out a regex that looks for the file name without bracketed text if it can't find a match, that might be useful for you if your archives are just clean ROM names.

All my emulator games are compressed in .zip files.
I did not understand what that expression means:
Your Saturn archives are "junked up too"

But if it's worth anything, all my saturn games are also packed into .zip files.

I currently use mednafen as an emulator for the video game sega saturn. And from what I know of him, he needs the iso to be unpacked.

I did the test here and actually compressed it does not work ...:blink:

6 minutes ago, Adultery said:

Argh, I'm just gonna deal with this my own way and pull in a dll, add a button to the Xpadder settings and have it display a list of files inside the archive so you can click the rom file.

So in Xpadder Plug-in, you'd select the game from the drop-down, click a button, and a pop-up will list all the files in the archive. That way, you can specify profiles for every rom in the zip file for GoodMerge.

I'll stop being lazy now. ;)

LOL !!!:lol:
I do not think people working on the gameex are any bit lazy.:)
I am very grateful for everything they have already done and still do. Congratulations!!^_^

It's uncommon for single zipped ROMs to have a different file name for the archive and the ROM file, which is what I mean by "junked up". I've been in the game for 15+ years now, and have never run into that (exception being GoodMerge).

I'll figure this out, I just need some time to work on it. And  I think you mean thank you, not congratulations... But I got the gist. Lol

4 minutes ago, Adultery said:

It's uncommon for single zipped ROMs to have a different file name for the archive and the ROM file, which is what I mean by "junked up". I've been in the game for 15+ years now, and have never run into that (exception being GoodMerge).

I'll figure this out, I just need some time to work on it. And  I think you mean thank you, not congratulations... But I got the gist. Lol

I thought the word "congratulations" fit the context well.:lol:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Adultery said:

All fixed up @Alan Ribas! Update from the Repository Manager. I will gladly accept beer and Bloody Marys. :P

Happy Thanksgiving!

Something is happening wrong.:wacko:
I tried to update using the repository manager and when I click on PluginManager the version I find there is 1.3.7.

I went to take another look and look what I found. It says that version 1.3.8 is installed but when I click on configuration what it opens is version 1.3.7

ps. I tried performing the update procedure manually as well. But no results.

a.png

I just had a question.

Why does the second setup depend on the first one? I thought they were independent things. And the new feature would only be used when the first one fails.
But when I deleted configuration number one, number two was disabled too.

Thank you again!!!:)

a.png

They shouldn't depend on each other unless the game name and the archive name are the same... If you remove the check mark next to the Bubble Symphony on the main screen (#1) you should still be able to enable it for the individual ROM file (#2). These two things only work together if the archive name and the rom inside the archive are named the same. Please try this:

1. Remove the configuration for Bubble Symphony (#1) by using the CLEAR button.
  2. Uncheck the box next to the dropdown in #1.
  3. Click the "extract" icon to open up the extracted ROM file menu (#2)
  4. Select your ROM
  5. Apply your profiles and click SAVE
  6. Exit #2
  7. Your #1 should still be disabled.

If that's not the case, it's a cosmetic bug. It will only run the main game profile in a very certain circumstance:

Bubble Symphony.zip > Bubble Symphony (1997)(Ving)(JP).smc

If the plugin doesn't find a profile for Bubble Symphony (1997)(Ving)(JP).smc, it will prune out the bracketed text and instead look for Bubble Symphony.smc as a fallback. If it doesn't find this either, it will default to the emulator profile settings. If no profile is set for the emulator, it will do nothing.

Unless like I mentioned your ROM archive and ROM file are named exactly the same:

Bubble Symphony.zip > Bubble Symphony.smc

In this case, the profile is the same for the archive and the file inside it, and I would expect that behavior... It shows in the "Extracted" menu (#2) as well as the main menu (#1), since the profile is technically the exact same.

36 minutes ago, Adultery said:

They shouldn't depend on each other unless the game name and the archive name are the same... If you remove the check mark next to the Bubble Symphony on the main screen (#1) you should still be able to enable it for the individual ROM file (#2). These two things only work together if the archive name and the rom inside the archive are named the same. Please try this:

1. Remove the configuration for Bubble Symphony (#1) by using the CLEAR button.
  2. Uncheck the box next to the dropdown in #1.
  3. Click the "extract" icon to open up the extracted ROM file menu (#2)
  4. Select your ROM
  5. Apply your profiles and click SAVE
  6. Exit #2
  7. Your #1 should still be disabled.

If that's not the case, it's a cosmetic bug. It will only run the main game profile in a very certain circumstance:

Bubble Symphony.zip > Bubble Symphony (1997)(Ving)(JP).smc

If the plugin doesn't find a profile for Bubble Symphony (1997)(Ving)(JP).smc, it will prune out the bracketed text and instead look for Bubble Symphony.smc as a fallback. If it doesn't find this either, it will default to the emulator profile settings. If no profile is set for the emulator, it will do nothing.

Unless like I mentioned your ROM archive and ROM file are named exactly the same:

Bubble Symphony.zip > Bubble Symphony.smc

In this case, the profile is the same for the archive and the file inside it, and I would expect that behavior... It shows in the "Extracted" menu (#2) as well as the main menu (#1), since the profile is technically the exact same.

Keep the settings same as the photo shows.
You're right. One setting does not depend on the other. even erasing configuration number 1 the specific loading was done the same way.

Thank you once again for adultery !!!

When you come to Brazil I pay you "beer and Bloody Marys" :cheers:

a.png